default header

Ultimate Edition

Ravenloft and the Fine Line Between Choice versus Destiny

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jun 2021 00:23

https://www.patreon.com/posts/52863351

icycalm wrote:Perhaps no other example better demonstrates the sheer brilliance of what I am doing than how I'll be handling Ravenloft.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Ravenloft and the Fine Line Between Choice versus Destin

Unread postby recoil » 23 Dec 2021 02:00

I posted this on your Patreon:

recoil wrote:I was thinking about this post and the Spellplague introduced in 4E. Do you think it would be a good idea to do this kind of transition for settings like Dark Sun? Considering it’s a post apocalyptic setting, maybe something like too many failures from the crews or the success of a crew in evil mode cause the transition.
recoil

Re: Ravenloft and the Fine Line Between Choice versus Destin

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Dec 2021 08:50

You have to understand that these transitions are created by huge teams of writers and game designers, and are planned years in advance. They not only write adventures (trilogies at the least) that chronicle the transition, but they even design a BRAND-NEW EDITION OF THE RULES. It's not something that we can do in our world on our own, or that we would like to do, or should do. We'll merely be playing the adventures and running the rule systems that these companies have created (though we'll be playing them in the best possible way they can be played: with Ultimate Edition multi-group overworld-based mechanics). These edition transitions are the biggest possible events happening in all of role-playing. Think the Thanos plotline of the Avengers that ties together all the plots of the various comic lines/movies. The Pathfinder 1 to 2 transition entails 24 year-long campaigns, and is the biggest transition in the history of ART. In comics and in movies you just read a few comics and watch a few movies. In Pathfinder, a single group would have to be playing FOR 24 YEARS.

Dark Sun in contrast has a mere couple of campaigns, and essentially no transition because they never published anything for it in 3E, and in 4E they published a few things that are probably crappy, and again nothing in 5E.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Ultimate Edition