default header

Development

WEB|PC|MAC|TAB|MOB One More Multiverse

Moderator: JC Denton

WEB|PC|MAC|TAB|MOB One More Multiverse

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jul 2021 01:41

Ever wanted to GM a JRPG?

Of course not, if you play JRPGs you don't even know what a GM is, you think watching cutscenes is role-playing. Nevertheless, a brand-new VTT is in the works that will allow you to GM 2D JRPGs (which tend to be the best JRPGs precisely because they had limited cutscenes, so could focus on the actual game more). But the program isn't limited to JRPGs, even though the starting assets are inspired by them, and can be used for any kind of TTRPGs including D&D or whatever else you care to play.

In other words, the battle for videogame-like VTTs that TaleSpire began is heating up, and Multiverse is the new kid on the block. What's great about it is that the devs aren't stupid enough to try to "stay faithful to the tabletop experience" or some such tripe as the TaleSpire devs are spouting, but rather are fully focused on fully exploiting the strengths of videogames and the digital medium. What sucks about it is that it's only 2D, and the starting assets are "indie", i.e. pretty damn crappy. But the assets will doubtless improve once the asset marketplace opens and independent creators start populating it, and they might conceivably start featuring isometric 2D assets, so that you can play like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment, which come considerably closer to 3D.

https://www.playmultiverse.com/

One More Multiverse wrote:One More Multiverse is an online video game platform making it as easy as possible to make, play, stream, and share tabletop role-playing games, with a creator focused marketplace. For every one nerd who plays tabletop games, there are are ten more who would if getting started was just more intuitive. Jump into your next adventure with friends, whether they're across the table or across the world, in a click.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lru0VUWrQTk

https://www.playmultiverse.com/faq

One More Multiverse wrote:F.A.Q.

Where can I play Multiverse? Is it out?
Multiverse isn't publicly available yet! Our team is working hard to launch a public early access as soon as we can. We're currently in a small closed beta, and the best way to follow along (or get a chance to play early!) is to join our Discord: https://discord.gg/multiverse.

Is Multiverse based on a Tabletop RPG (e.g. Dungeons & Dragons, Shadowrun, etc)?
Multiverse is a platform to build, run and create any TTRPG (tabletop role-playing game)! We're not based on any one system, and we're re-imagining the TTRPG experience completely. We want to enhance what makes this genre so great: creating new worlds, telling unique stories, inhabiting authentic characters with your friends. And we want to offer you new options only possible here on Multiverse: video game-inspired mechanics, beautiful pixel art you can customize and use, and digital tools to make learning rules, running games, and teach new players way, way easier!

What platform does Multiverse run on?
Multiverse is browser-based! We also have Windows and Mac apps as an alternative. Right now it works best on your computer but we plan to create tablet and phone experiences too.

Can I play my favorite TTRPG (Vampire the Masquerade, Blades in the Dark, FATE, GURPS, etc.) on Multiverse?
Yes!! We are huge fans of all TTRPGs, especially indie ones. We don't yet have custom mechanics for every single game, but you can use Multiverse as a visual, collaborative sandbox, and in the future you'll be able to create, customize, and design your own games (with no code). We're working on official partnerships so if you have a game you're passionate about seeing on OMM, join our Discord (or Tweet us, or email us) and let us know! Mechanics won't be exactly the same because the web is a really different medium (and that's good!) but we're excited about how we can translate and enhance the games you already love. And of course, most excited about the new games and homebrew rules you will make.

How is this different from Roll20, Tabletop Simulator, Foundry, and other Virtual Tabletops?
Although "VTT" is the easiest shorthand to describe us, we don't think of ourselves as a virtual tabletop exactly. We aren't looking to recreate the traditional table experience (we're huge fans of it but gathering in-person isn't always possible). We want to expand the TTRPG experience with all the possibilities only digital gameplay can offer! We also have a unique and ambitious vision for our Marketplace. Our main goal is to grow the number the people playing TTRPG's, because we know that will enable more creators — game designers, artists, writers, GM's, storytellers — to make a living in our industry. So we spend just as much time thinking about creator tools as the player experience!

What is the setting of Multiverse like?
Multiverse isn't just one setting or one "world". We're creating a platform for people to tell their own stories. We're building a massive pixel art library (2500 assets so far and counting!) that is currently a bit fantasy-leaning, but will ultimately have lots of options. And don't forget — other artists (maybe yourself?) will be adding to our Marketplace all the time. We are also partnering with other creators and awesome existing IPs to make campaigns for their stories on Multiverse. Multiverse grows with its players and creators.

How much does Multiverse cost?
We want Multiverse to be accessible to everyone who wants it, while also being able to maintain a high standard of quality and make sure that creators on our platform are able to get paid. Because of that, buying content will be the primary way in which you pay for Multiverse once we're publicly and fully launched.

What is customizable in Multiverse? Can I upload my own assets to Multiverse?
Our rule as we develop Multiverse is that the tools that we use to build content on Multiverse are also available to you as GMs and creators and players. Our goal is to make as much content on Multiverse customizable as possible, everything from tilesets, characters, emotes, sounds, abilities, stories and game mechanics. You can upload these for your own campaigns, or share them on the Marketplace for everyone to use.

Also worth pointing out that their team is huge compared to the couple of guys + couple of freelancers that work on TaleSpire: https://www.playmultiverse.com/team

And they have some serious backing:

One More Multiverse Is Funded With $17.5 Million
https://gamerant.com/one-more-multiverse-funded/

Brittni Finley wrote:One More Multiverse, a platform made to revolutionize the table-top RPG experience, has been funded by over $17.5 million thanks to some big names, including Oculus VR's co-founder and Crunchyroll's co-founder, along with many others.

https://twitter.com/SaraAlfageeh/status ... 5010294791

17.5 million is serious money. Some of the biggest crowdfunded videogame releases like Planetary Annihilation and Divinity: Original Sin were only funded with 2-3 million. The amount is so large compared to the middling complexity of the project that I am tempted to speculate it's rich people virtue-signalling by lavishing money on "POC" grifters (the devs racistly advertise themselves as "majority POC"; i.e. "we don't have many white people").

Will we be using it for Battlegrounds?

It really depends on the assets. If they have the assets we need for a scenario we're playing out, we'll certainly be using it, and it will be unlocked for whichever group unlocks that scenario.

So one to keep an eye on, overall, and it'll be interesting to see how the TaleSpire devs modify their roadmap in response. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and trying it out.

Q3 2021.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Development