default header

Roleplaying

Owlcat's next Pathfinder game

Moderator: JC Denton

Owlcat's next Pathfinder game

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Sep 2021 02:03

They have made it clear they want to make more Pathfinder games if they continue being commercially successful, and Wrath of the Righteous has been a big hit from what I've seen. So we're getting another campaign, the question is which.

I think the Battlegrounds site can help us make an educated guess. Take a look at this.

They've done two out of these three dots. It has been noted that the location of their two games is very close, and this third dot is the closest to them. It's Iron Gods, and it's fantastic. Huge hit on tabletop, commercially and critically. And just like the other two campaigns, it brings a brand-new dimension to the game, both on tabletop and especially digital. I am talking about the kingdom and mythic mechanics. Well Iron Gods has science fiction. Some of this has been done on tabletop before, but NONE of it on digital. I bet it would draw in some Fallout fans for example. And Owlcat would have an entire corner of Golarion on digital, which seems to be one of their goals.

By the way, check their website's tagline: https://owlcatgames.com

They are on a mission, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've already started preliminary work on Iron Gods.

Of course, it will be vastly inferior to the original version, but since in Battlegrounds only one group can play the original version, I would be very happy if a digital one was made for all the other players to enjoy.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Owlcat's next Pathfinder game

Unread postby icycalm » 14 Mar 2022 06:59

It just occurred to me that if Owlcat wants to blow everyone away, they could just make a Starfinder game next. The Fallouts were popular, so it can sell. It'd be less work for them too since the SF APs are 64 pages per book instead of 96, so 6x64 instead of 6x96.

That said, they'd have to code the considerably different system, and all-new monsters, and they couldn't reuse a single asset, so overall it'd be way more work.

I think that eventually they WILL do it. What would be amazing would be to copy Paizo and enlarge their studio to be able to develop both lines simultaneously, so that you'd basically have a new game every year.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Mar 2022 01:09

Owlcat's handling of Pathfinder lore generally gets a good rep in the Paizo forum, so much so that the PF2 update to Kingmaker will include material Owlcat introduced in the CRPG. The Wrath of the Righteous CRPG is also said to include cool new stuff. So I was surprised to come across this extremely negative comment about the company in the Paizo forum (don't follow the link, it's a mega-thread full of spoilers):

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs43jqw?Favo ... setting#15

keftiu wrote:I likewise feel guilty for forgetting Sarkoris. Really hoping for it to get more love in 2e.

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs43jqw?Favo ... setting#16

rankless wrote:Yeah, same. Especially with the extremely weirdly negative portrayal it got in the Wrath of the Righteous game, but it's not like Owlcat has any idea of how any location on Golarion works in the first place.

He doesn't elaborate, and no one in the thread (up to where I've read) contradicts him, so who knows. Maybe he knows what he's talking about, maybe not.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 May 2022 05:49

https://twitter.com/PSOCecil/status/1531017506457956352

PSOCecil @PSOCecil wrote:According to Paizo on reddit, Owlcat's next game is NOT a Starfinder game, which totally sucks.

So they've already started work on the next game.

Even though I probably won't be playing any of their games, I do want them to make more. Ideally I'd want them to make ALL the Adventure Paths, so that the players who don't play them in my Battlegrounds can at least run through them in CRPG form, and get to know the entire metaplot more closely. I don't need to do this because I will play everything in its original form, but the players could use it.

It may happen some day, you know. Not as full CRPG productions like Owlcat is making, but something in between. There is talk of VTT conversions eventually including some kind of dumbed-down singleplayer mode. I would think a way to do it would be to dumb down the adventuring to point-and-click static-image adventuring, and just present the battles with simplistic AI.

We'll see how things go. At any rate the next Owlcat CRPG is expected around 2024, by which time we should have gone through about 4-8 Adventure Paths, perhaps even including the AP they will adapt.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Dec 2022 15:59

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/c ... &context=3

Luchux01 wrote:Owlcat likes 1e better than 2e, so unfortunately it's doubtful.

Crueljaw wrote:Not sure why u get downvoted. They officially said that they dont like 2e and dont plan on making a 2e game in the forseeable future.

It's funny because it's typical Russian rudeness. Non-Russians/non-Slavs would never say such a thing for a company they're working with. They'd be more diplomatic and evade the question. Or come up with some bullshit explanations. Meanwhile, in mother Russia, "We don't like their game." Probably too dumb to even realize it is offensive.

On top of being stupid. Because PF2 is a million times better than the stupid system their programmer is making for their 40k game.

You don't like PF2 and you like the lame abortion you're making, you stupid fuckin' bastards?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying