default header

Ultimate Edition

UE Use It Or Lose It (PF1)

Moderator: JC Denton

UE Use It Or Lose It (PF1)

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Nov 2021 10:12

Wow what an inventive rule!

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs42x5l?What ... roes-of#23

Razcar wrote:In our group we have a house rule I call 'Use it or lose it'. If you stop adventuring and evolving you don't just sit there at your current level - you devolve. This also means PCs.

We have no hard rules for this but it goes a little something like this: If you don't use your abilities in real, tough situations in more than one year you slowly start losing levels. You can lose as many as two thirds before you level out (hoho).

The ex-pcs from prior APs exist in our Golarion. But pending on what the players decide at our epilogue session they range from plane-hopping 18th level archmages to retired 6th level fishermen/fighters in Sandpoint ("I used to be a great adventurer you know! This swing I used to call the Great Cleave. Aoouch! My back!" "Sure dad. You know, mom's said we're not allowed to take that sword down from the mantlepiece. I think that means you too.").

This explains both the lack of high level NPCs in Golarion from an in-game perspective, and helps us accept how e.g. a 18-year old kid attains the highest powers in about 6 months time: they're blessed by fate to rise up and combat great evil. When the evil is defeated, fate moves on. Unless the heroes continue the struggle.

So use it or lose it.

We'll have to try it out when the time comes. If the penalties are made severe enough, it can even explain players and characters actively looking for trouble spots on the overworld during their downtimes.

The Paizo forums are full of great ideas, and great contributions. But don't click on that link in this post because it's chock-full of spoilers. I am merely including the link for my own reference.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Ultimate Edition