default header

Roleplaying

Critical Role

Moderator: JC Denton

Critical Role

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2021 15:04

https://critrole.com

Critical Role wrote:What began in 2012 as a bunch of friends playing RPGs in each other's living rooms has evolved into a multi-platform entertainment sensation, attracting over half a million viewers every week. Now in its third campaign storyline, the show features seven popular voiceover actors diving into epic adventures, led by veteran game master Matthew Mercer.

This is one kick-ass intro to their group:

Campaign 3 Opening Title | It’s Thursday Night (Critical Role Theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpdh5S9myc4

I say their group, because that's what the video is about: themselves. It's not about their campaign, as they deceptively claim.

I wouldn't mind having a video like that for Battlegrounds. With 18 people, we'd destroy them. And as for an actual campaign video from us: wait until you see my Pathfinder Season 1 announcement (I can only make it once all four groups have done their title sequence, so we're only waiting for D&D3 now). If we turned THAT into a campaign trailer... the RPG world would explode. Actually, I do plan to turn it into a KIND of trailer if I can find a decent deal for it on Fiverr. Stay tuned.

I haven't tried to watch any of their shows, but going just from their trailer, it seems they are doing low-brow well. I am glad they exist. Who knows how many people they have got into RPGs. I want Battlegrounds to be the high-brow equivalent to them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Critical Role

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Dec 2021 15:14

Oh and note that they are PROFESSIONAL voice-actors. If I had a group of such people too, I wouldn't mind if they used voice chat for role-playing either.

There would still be the problem of the GM voicing thousands of people though. Doesn't matter how good of an actor he is... no one can do this convincingly.

With a high enough budget you could give every NPC role to an extra I suppose. Or maybe an advanced voice modulation program might do the trick. The GM would STILL have to be a good actor though: indeed he'd have to be a genius actor. The software wouldn't improve his acting ability, it'd just give him a lot of voices.

I guess the ultimate would be AIs that the GM feeds lines to, and they just act them out. Add deepfake tech in and you could have Brad Pitt playing your antagonist or Anthony Hopkins playing a king!

This might be coming in this decade!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying