default header

Roleplaying

PF2 Agents of Edgewatch

Moderator: JC Denton

PF2 Agents of Edgewatch

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Jan 2022 05:03

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs433p8?Path ... nviolent#5

Additionally, Agents of Edgewatch presents scenarios that fall into the realm of horror. This includes depictions of serial killers, body horror, torture, nonconsensual voyeurism, violence against children, and bioterrorism (including a suicide bombing), humanoid experimentation, self-harm, animal cruelty, and mental illness.

Sounds tasty. If you wanted to be a fantasy cop in Golarion’s biggest city, this is the campaign for you.

Don’t follow the link. It’s a thread about non-violent possibilities in Pathfinder Adventure Paths. War for the Crown gets a big and very spoilery mention, among others.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PF2 Agents of Edgewatch

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jan 2024 14:36

Thread is full of spoilers, just read what I am giving you: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs43v5l?So-w ... d-stuff#16

Steel_Wind wrote:As for Agents of Edgewatch, that one, sadly, has a lot to recommend it and there is the basis for an excellent Absalom campaign. All the key ingredients are there...

And then they serve it up to GMs and players on a garbage can lid.

The problem with AoE is the developer's choice to have the PCs acquire treasure by looting the bad (and not so bad) guys - the so called privateer model -- fundamentally undermined the entire premise of the campaign. The PCs, officers of the law, are required to fund their patrol operations by stealing from those they arrest.

It's a plain conflict of interest. So BY DESIGN the players find themselves role-playing bad cops. No cop under a treasure model like that is lawful -- nor good, in my view. It's a case where the treasure model basically forces the PCs to play dirty cops who are all in the Neutral, Neutral (Evil), Chaotic Neutral, and even Chaotic Evil parts of the alignment spectrum. And this happens BY DESIGN, no less.

I played AoE, Vol 1 and this aspect of things was such a distraction to me that I couldn't wait for that volume to end. And we ended the campaign right afterwards.

As you might imagine, I have some strong views about that design, and some adjectives to attach to it which are both critical and unflattering.

Could we have changed the treasure model? Sure, absolutely. But changing something that is so plainly and obviously wrong in an AP's inherent design should not be necessary.

I thought about giving players the option of playing the AP as written as corrupt cops, or reworking the funding model so that looting lawbreakers isn't necessary. But in the end, I don't see the point of the rework. There are so many APs to play if you want to play good guys, that we should cherish every one made for an evil or neutral party, and that's what AoE is as written. So I will amend the AP's description on the overworld to make it clear it's for corrupt cops, and leave it at that.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying