default header

Roleplaying

Gamemastery

Moderator: JC Denton

Gamemastery

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Mar 2022 08:00

https://twitter.com/ACassDarkly/status/ ... 2488284160

We've been having this issue for the last couple of sessions with the Rise of the Runelords campaign. It's been going a LOT slower than I thought it would because there's a lot of role-playing to be done in the town, and I am not that good yet at estimating how long that will take. It's much easier to gauge the time taken to run a battle or clear a dungeon than for role-playing, and Pathfinder adventures have a LOT more role-playing than the D&D 2E I was playing 25 years ago. The senate gala in War for the Crown also took 3x-4x longer than I had expected.

But as the commentary above explains, it doesn't matter. Gotta stop thinking in terms of "Let's finish this campaign quickly so we can start on the next one". But then you'll want to finish THAT quickly to start on the one AFTER that, and all because you feel the need to catch up to Paizo because they're releasing so much awesome stuff. But since you'll NEVER catch up since they're releasing them faster than we can play them, you might as well relax and enjoy the game. All this role-playing is new to me, and it's even newer to many of our players. As long as we're enjoying it—and I certainly am—there's not really even any need for me to try to gauge how long a chapter will take. It's a habit I need to wean myself off.

What will also help is when the overworld goes up, and then you'll see it filling up with names and details and backstories discovered during role-playing, so that even if no combat takes place in a session, you'll still have the gamified satisfaction of expanding the overworld with every role-playing interaction.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying