default header

Roleplaying

PF2 Pathfinder Adventure Path: Gatewalkers

Moderator: JC Denton

PF2 Pathfinder Adventure Path: Gatewalkers

Unread postby icycalm » 27 May 2022 20:36

New Adventure Path announced by Paizo during the ongoing PaizoCon!

https://paizo.com/paizocon

It's another three-parter by the way, so only goes from 1-10th levels.

This is the description I will put on the Battlegrounds overworld for it:

Battlegrounds wrote:A team of paranormal investigators unravel the mystery behind a mass amnesic episode which left them with lost memories and strange powers.

I think they are trying to tie this with the upcoming "Dark Archive" rulebook about paranormal powers that comes out in July.

I am not linking to Paizo's product page because it's full of spoilers. But here's the cover of the first adventure for you, most likely a temporary mockup, but still looking quite good:

Expected January 2023, after the completion of the upcoming Blood Lords AP [ > ].
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PF2 Pathfinder Adventure Path: Gatewalkers

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jul 2022 12:10

So there's a few things I need to say about this AP.

First off, I got the name wrong when I made the thread. "The Seventh Arch" is the name of the first book, the AP itself is called Gatewalkers. I've now fixed this.

Second, I made another mistake in the OP, I got the location of the AP wrong. It doesn't start off where I said—that was a spoiler, and it's now been corrected as I scrubbed all references to it—it starts off in the River Kingdoms, which is where Kingmaker takes place. Of course, it's called "Gatewalkers" so you'll probably be walking through some gates...

I guess the reason I made all these mistakes is because I was so hyped when I saw the announcement that I barely skimmed it before making the thread. The coolest events in all of gaming for me every year now is when Paizo announces a new AP, and they only do this two-three times a year. Every time it happens it's like a new season of Game of Thrones is announced, because that's basically what these campaigns are. I lose my shit when I see an announcement and I visit the Paizo forum daily in the hopes of seeing one.

The problem is that it's frustrating trying to report on this industry. It's not the same as regular videogames. With regular videogames, all the gating for the spoilers is done by the game publishers, so I don't have to worry about it: I just report whatever they give me, and I've been doing it for nearly two decades now, so it's deeply ingrained in me to just pass on whatever info I find. But with RPGs, the market isn't players but GMs. That's who Paizo is selling their stuff to. The players just buy a core rulebook, if that; it is the GMs who buy everything else, and Paizo doesn't hold back spoilers from them: quite the opposite, they spoil the fuck out of everything because they want to convince the GMs that their material is the shit. So when I pass on this info to my readers/players here, I have to be very careful to avoid spoilers, which means pretty much everything. So it is extremely frustrating for me to be unable to share my enthusiasm fully, since that's what—at least the news-reporting part of—Insomnia is about.

Anyway, RPG industry reporting and RPG overworld managing are new skills for me, and I am learning. Hopefully whichever of my players were exposed to my earlier spoilering in this thread will have forgotten about it in a decade's time when we'll get around to play this, if they're still with me and we're still playing Pathfinder, which I fully plan to if all goes well.

Moving on, I have the second book's mockup cover to share today. The third and final one should be dropping in about a month.

Remember it's merely a mockup, that's why the creature is so low-quality. But the background image looks great I think.

And what a fantastic title "They Watched the Stars" is. Compare with Owlcat's generic "Rogue Trader" [ > ]. Can you see the difference between professional writers and programmers?

And finally, after much searching, I think I have found the campaign's theme track.

Gatewalkers theme: Running Haunted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0MrdInQhlI

I looked hard to find something with a paranormal bend to it, and this does it on various points. It's got "haunted" in the title, it's got those twinkle sounds around 0:05, it even has some very typical "gatewalking" sounds around 1:08, plus even the album art is stargazing. Finally, the "running" in the title goes well with the heavy emphasis on travelling that I see in the AP. And on top of all this, it's just a terrific track. I am extremely happy with having found it and look forward to placing it on the overworld that I'll finally launch shortly after the launch of my West Marches later this month.

Now we're just waiting for some final key illustration to tie it all together. This won't be happening before December though, as they usually release these just before the first book is released. I'll use the mockups on the overworld until then.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying