default header

Roleplaying

Project Black Flag

Moderator: JC Denton

Project Black Flag

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Mar 2023 04:33

This is next-level shit.

Kobold Press is preparing their new RPG system, Project Black Flag, and before the system is even published, they're partnering with Foundry VTT to offer the playtest ruleset with fully automated character builder.

Heating Up at the Foundry
https://koboldpress.com/heating-up-at-the-foundry

Kobold Press wrote:Instead of VTT support happening after the game launch later this year, the Foundry VTT team is already hard at work. Their team has built support for Playtest Packet # 1 as a brand-new, from-scratch system. And they’re ready to show what they’ve been working on.

Graphics look better than any isometric CRPG barring the best-of-the-best of them. Paizo showed the way as usual, and everyone is now following.

That said, I am not particularly interested in this new system, simply because I am not interested in systems, I am interested in worlds and adventures, and I've seen nothing from this project on that front. Merely looking at this company's name, "Kobold Press", makes me skeptical of their ability to create lore and adventures. Why "kobold"? Even among monsters it's a crappy one. TSR is cool, Paizo is cool (google what they stand for), but "Kobold Press" is dumb.

And why Project Black Flag? Is it only about pirates? It doesn't look like it from the pic, so another stupid naming choice here.

Making matters worse, I just googled it, and the rules are based on 5.1E... So a stupidly named "new" system by a stupidly named publisher based on inferior rules.

So, not a fan of any of this, but super-fan of RPG publishers prioritizing Foundry releases for new products.

As for Project Black Flag, you can find out more here if you're interested: https://koboldpress.com/project-black-flag

If they end up publishing any good adventures, I will put them on the Battlegrounds, and you'll be able to go there, and we'll learn this stupid system. If not, who cares.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Project Black Flag

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Mar 2023 10:40

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/commen ... bold_press

theblacklightprojekt wrote:Why Do People Like Kobold Press?

Like genuine question here?

Why do you like Kobold Press?

Because their latest Playtest Document they released and the previous one really makes me want to know why people even give them their time of day.

As what they have released so far is mechanically worse and overall less balanced than base 5e. They seem to have no understanding of the mechanics of 5e or how it functions, power carrying wildly in their Wizard Subclasses, with one being okay and another being straight-up broken.

Along with the stuff itself being poorly written, making it ripe for abuse even though all they had to do was copy SRD wording.

All that is why I am asking, if their other material is of the same quality as the playtests.

Why do people like them and even give them their time of day?

And that's that with Project Black Flag. I knew it because of how stupid the company's name is.

If you read further down the thread, everyone pretty much agrees the company sucks apart from its monster tomes, which are apparently good, and popular. But they're for 5E, and 5E already has enough monsters, we're never going to bother with third-party ones. So I never see us using anything of theirs.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying