default header

Roleplaying

Alignment

Moderator: JC Denton

Alignment

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Apr 2023 02:05

I don't have any particular ideas on alignment. I just do what the books tell me. But it has been a contentious rule system for decades (in CRPGs it is meaningless, naturally), but these objections do not tend to be reflected in the rulebooks, so it's good to start reading widely about it, and try to understand the issues involved, in order, some day in the future, to see if we can modify the rules with a view to improving them. Here's an interesting article I just read to get us started: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG ... _seriously

Elliptical_Tangent wrote:If We Are Going To Take Alignment Seriously

I see lots of confusion in Golarion/Pathfinder printed materials about what Lawful/Chaotic means; Lawful Evil is often portrayed as some sort of left-handed version of Good—that literally cannot be, or alignment has no meaning beyond the color of your Smite (a take I find totally valid). This is my attempt to make alignment clearer for those trying to set behavioral expectations.

For alignment to mean anything, all the components must be unique, or they're redundant, and should be eliminated to make a simpler logical system. So Lawful has to be distinct not only from Chaotic (which it's present to oppose), but also both Good and Evil.

Neutral is present to represent ambiguity. That's Neutral's uniqueness; "Neither or both in some combination, it doesn't matter." This means no other component can be ambiguous, because then Neutral is not unique.

Good and Evil are very easy to define because we are a prosocial species. If there's a choice between helping or harming, you're looking at the Good/Evil dynamic; to help is Good, to harm is Evil. In a game like Pathfinder, expecting a Good character to do nothing harmful—or Evil nothing helpful—is creating an environment without Good or Evil PCs (or one without combat if Good, or plot if Evil). If we allow that Evil can help X% of the time and remain Evil, then we need to extend the exact same courtesy to the Good PCs (and vice versa, obv).

So then if helping/harming is the Good/Evil axis, what is the Lawful/Chaotic axis representing? Lawful and Chaotic are the conflict between the collective and the individual.

Lawfuls see the society as an entity unto itself; all members of it are cells in a larger organism. Lawfuls trust the laws and institutions the society upholds to react to conditions. The ideal Lawful (LN) society is one that resists any external forces.

Chaotics see society as a result of the individuals in it; the nature of society is the sum of all individual activity. Chaotics trust the ability of individuals to react appropriately to conditions. The ideal Chaotic (CN) society is one that adapts to any external forces.

An ideal LG society is one where everyone knows their place and wants to perform their roles because it benefits everyone else within the society. They don't need to stop what they're doing to help someone else because expert help is already there. Everyone lives their most fulfilled life because everyone does their part for the common good.

An ideal CG society is one where everyone helps one another in the moment that help is needed. If providing that help puts the helper at a disadvantage, another individual is going to ameliorate that disadvantage, and so on as the individuals recognize the need for assistance. Everyone lives their most fulfilled life because they all look out for one another.

An ideal LE society is one where everyone knows their place; they are all slaves to the same Master. Everyone knows their continued existence depends on performing their assigned duties at the expected level. They receive abuse from those higher in the hierarchy, and rain abuse on those below. Everyone gets to live because they meet the Master's expectations.

An ideal CE society is one in which everyone preys on one another as best they can. The strong bully the weak into service for as long as they are able, and the weak serve the strong for whatever temporary safety from extermination that provides. Everyone gets to live because they are sensitive to shifting conditions and take advantage of any opportunities that present themselves.

If you resist the description of Evil societies, congratulations, you're a functioning human being. As I said, we're a prosocial animal, and having a society that isn't at least pretending to help doesn't make any sense to us. In that way, we can see that the alignment system is really more about the color of your Smite than a prescription for behavior, but to the extent that you take alignment as a behavioral guide, I've tried to describe what we should expect.

EDIT: I've been playing RPGs for some time, and thought it might be useful to include a history (and critique) of the alignment system to give my post some context.

The alignment system was devised by a group of Moorcock-reading churchgoers. Law and Chaos came from Moorcock, while Good and Evil came from Christianity. Mooorcock's Law and Chaos were cosmological forces that his heroes aligned themselves with/against, not internal properties of the heroes themselves. Likewise, Good and Evil are cosmological forces in the Bible, not internal properties assigned to the people described within.

But Gygax et al. decided to make them internal properties of the PC, and to police them strictly—in AD&D 1e, you lost 10% of your total xp if your alignment changed, and alignment changed based on the DM's judgment of your behavior relative to the alignment system described. I personally think this was a mistake, that some sort of rewards system should have been put in place for PCs who put the work in to advance Chaos or Law or Good or Evil or Neutral instead of putting them in an alignment prison with punishments waiting if you didn't obey. But if we're going to take alignment seriously, it's important to have a clear, logical, unbiased set of definitions to work from; this is what I tried to provide in this post.

I like his suggestion: reward with XP characters who further the goals of their alignment. This however will throw off adventure/campaign XP progression. On the OTHER hand, furthering your alignment is not part of the adventures, so it adds EXTRA goals that entail risks. So maybe extra risks for potential extra XP is already balanced enough.

Need to read more and keep thinking about this. Then at some point maybe we can try it as an experiment in a brief standalone adventure and take it from there.

P.S. There's more interesting discussion in the comments. It's an enormous thread which tells you how contentious the subject is.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Alignment discussion

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Apr 2023 02:08

Actually, don't read the comments, because it's a Pathfinder forum and there may be spoilers. I'll fish out comments and post them here if I find any important ones.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Apr 2023 02:22

Show me another game that inspires this level of discussion, or whose players are this articulate and literate.

Antifascists wrote:Most people aren't evil. That's actually the answer. Not this altruistic vs selfish scale.

It is actually altruistic>>selfish>>harmful scale. Good, Neutral, Evil.

Humans, ie us... just aren't Evil almost ever. There are some out there, actual psychopaths. But they're exceptionally rare. Most people fall somewhere in the realm of Neutral. They're just out there looking out for themselves and their friends and family. And there are Good people, too, though less common than Neutral, these good people wanna look out for the interests of everyone, not just their friends and family, but all people, maybe even animals and shit too.

But, the main point is, the Altruistic>Selfish scale literally cuts off the Evil endcap. And, sure. Altruistic to Selfish does a fine enough job modeling 99% of actual human beings. But, we're not a very Evil species.

You do have to make room for actual demons on this alignment scale. Because in d&d actual demons exist.

So you need the alignment scale to go all the way to actual evil. Not just mere selfishness, but actual malice.

Mekisteus wrote:If you are expanding the scale beyond realistic human nature, you not only have to account for demons but also angels and gods. How many humans can be "good" in comparison? Most of us can't even fathom being as good as Mr. Rogers, let alone Iomedae.

Order and chaos would have the same issue. Humans don't come anywhere close to being as orderly as ants or Borg but also can't compete with fey or house cats when it comes to being chaotic.

It seems like if you want your scale to encompass the supernatural without expanding beyond the 3x3 (into a 6x6 or whatever), then the space for humans to occupy is tightened substantially. We'd all be hovering around true neutral.

MossyPyrite wrote:We’re talking about Fantasy Humans though, who can believe in and embody the force of Good (or Evil) so powerfully that it creates an aura around them which bolsters their allies and repels the wicked (or the inverse). Real people and their real lives and experiences/motivations are too complex to smoothly apply alignment anyway. You’ve got to aim for Versimilitude, not Realism.

Mekisteus wrote:That's a good point. I tend to steer towards low fantasy over high fantasy even in solidly high fantasy games like Pathfinder. So maybe I should more fully embrace the high fantasy tropes Pathfinder is built on.

Deadlypandaghost wrote:Just declare outsiders to be the furthest points along each axis. You still have a full gradient to both C/L and G/E. Even if a human never reaches purity for an alignment they can still move along the gradients enough to move alignments. Outsiders are deliberately described as pure and extreme examples. You don't need to be 100% in order to stay in a nondrant.

TheHollowBard wrote:Doesn't that require the existence of perfect and objective altruism?

Certain kinds of Lawful Good Paladins would absolutely exterminate groups who oppose their work, despite those groups also believing they are doing good things for good people.

I believe the system is just so inherently flawed as it is based on objective morality, which we simply don't have as human players. We have a few things we agree upon as bad (killing the innocent, enslaving children, sexual assault), but what about killing those who you perceive as guilty who live in an intelligent society that doesn't see them as guilty? If the Devil were served by a million loyal peons who love him, love working under him, and believe that all would be better if people served him, he would certainly be classified as LE in a monster handbook, but he would be serving a society that saw him as an altruistic force.

TheHollowBard wrote:Yeah, I know. I wasn't trying to dunk on you, so sorry if it came across that way. I just have so many axes to grind with the standard alignment system. I think it's really fun for discussing media and really bad for defining characters. My table plays with a value system based on personality psychology, and I just can't see taking things any other direction these days. It still classifies you for when spells care about alignment, and we have to make some modifications for oaths, but it just makes so much more sense.

Artanthos wrote:Enlightened self interest falls under neutral.

You help others/society not because you are altruistic, but because you know that you expect to be treated better in return.

pWasHere wrote:What if an act is selfish but also coincidentally helps a lot of other people?

Mekisteus wrote:Then the rogue and the paladin might stop bickering for once so we can slay these damn ogres.

dino and Ciaróg have an entire campaign in front of them of this kind of bickering every other encounter! With ysignal and Saf in the middle trying to hold the team together. Fun times!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Apr 2023 02:51

TloquePendragon wrote:YES! So many people equate "Lawful" with "The Law" and that simply isn't the case.

From the PF1 PHB; "Law: Law implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include closed-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, self-righteousness, and a lack of adaptability. Those who consciously promote lawfulness say that only lawful behavior creates a society in which people can depend on each other and make the right decisions in full confidence that others will act as they should."

That obedience doesn't HAVE to be towards the dominant society. And can be towards a strict creed or code. If you have the delusion that you are a God, and have a VERY strict code of rules and laws you follow, you are being obedient to you own authority. And if those rules contradict local legal ordinances,THOSE ORDINANCES are what's in the wrong from your point of view. Consistency and Reliability are what matter to a Lawful Character, not obeying what local authorities decree even if it's directly counter to your DEEPLY held personal beliefs. A Lawful Character will break the "Law" 100 times, even at great personal injury, if that "Law" isn't JUST in their mind.

Chaotic Characters, however:

"Chaos: Chaos implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benefit from the potential that its individuals have within them."

Are willing to sacrifice integrity for short term benefits, they might not like it, but obeying the local laws beats spending the night in jail over and over again.

KonLesh wrote:(Almost) Every version of DnD had a different definition for the alignments (not even including other games with alignments/morals built into their system). People will naturally use whatever the first system they ever learned was. So alignment debates are intrinsically poisoned before either party even says the first word in whatever they are talking about.

Elliptical_Tangent wrote:You are definitely not wrong. I see the biggest problem as not operating from an agreed-upon set of clear, logical, unbiased definitions when discussing alignment.

What I laid out isn't what I learned when I started playing AD&D 1e back in '82, it's the distillation of having/reading lots of alignment-based disagreements over the years and thinking about how best to lay it out so as to reduce or eliminate those disagreements. A fool's errand, but a fun mental exercise.

JCGilbasaurus wrote:My interpretation of alignment is it's about which cosmic force your soul is most aligned with, as determined by your actions.

For example, Heaven and Hell (the lawful good and lawful evil planes) both represent a philosophy of discipline, and strict obedience to a hierarchy. The difference is that Heaven believes that this hierarchy should command the strong to protect and uplift the weak, whilst Hell's hierarchy demands that the weak serve and enrich the strong.

When you act in a way that is in accord with these philosophies—even if you have never heard them before and know nothing about the planes—your soul becomes aligned to them, which is what Pharasma uses to judge you.

Of course, the above example is simplified—Heaven and Hell don't only care about those things, but it's a useful enough shorthand because I'm on my break and I'm not prepared to write out a full dissertation on fictional cosmic philosophy.

However, I said nothing about harming others—Heaven and Hell both believe that killing threats to their hierarchies is correct and morally right. Some people might disagree that killing can ever be right, but they can still be "lawful good/evil" if they adhere to the non-violent aspects of the philosophy.

At least, as I said before, that's my interpretation of alignment.

DiamondSentinel wrote:This will be a perpetually circular argument. At its best, alignment should never be more than a shorthand to describe your character. It is allowed to lack nuance only because of that context, which is why the quantification of it in game mechanics is problematic. As soon as you try to actually delve deeply into alignment, particularly cosmic objectivity, you immediately run into a dozen and a half issues, ranging from benign (its lack of nuance and difficulty describing such characters) to pretty harmful (it's no coincidence that objective morality has been utilized to justify pretty awful actions).

DinoTuesday wrote:Yes. It's a pair of false dichotomies used to oversimplify full philosophies, psychologies, or ethics that fictional characters actually act on.

And the context varies so wildly from edition to edition that we rarely understand what the other person expects from the alignment system.

It was originally borrowed from Micheal Moorcock's novels as a great cosmic battle between law and chaos (similar to real world religions and myths like Ma'at). In D&D these represented teams in a divine struggle and were used as a quick and easy reference to adjudicate monster/NPC reactions. Alignment language was understood by Gary Gygax as akin to real world religious traditions like speaking Latin in Catholicism. Members of the cosmic war for law could identify fellows who spoke the same language and might have a favorable disposition, in theory. Actual interpretation of alignment has shifted completely from its origins to be something it wasn't, and reflects new nuances in each game edition and each table.

Useful game descriptors don't need the alignment system to describe the PC psychology, relationships, philosophy, or code of ethics. Useful game descriptions could use new language to identify faction identity or planar affiliation or tendencies for monsters.

Elliptical_Tangent wrote:
DiamondSentinel wrote:At its best, alignment should never be more than a shorthand to describe your character.

Agreed (mostly). This is how we play at our table. There are mechanics that check alignment, so those are still relevant, and there are occasions where extreme measures are called for where we'll bring alignment into play, but otherwise it's just, "What color is your Smite?"

But if we're going to take alignment seriously, we need a set of clear, logical, unbiased definitions that players can use to avoid drama at their table. That was my goal with the post.

DiamondSentinel wrote:Relevant: https://xkcd.com/927

icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Roleplaying