default header

Cosmic War

Insomnia Cosmic War

Moderator: JC Denton

Insomnia Cosmic War

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Dec 2020 03:59

Since we don't have a leaderboard for this event on cosmicwar.net, I'll be keeping it here for the time being. Eventually I'll update the site and move the leaderboard over.

1. CULT|Ciaróg - 1 Victory
1. CULT|icycalm - 1 Victory

2. CULT|Agentx - 0 Victories
2. CULT|Archonus - 0 Victories
2. CULT|recoil - 0 Victories
2. CULT|Some guy - 0 Victories

I am only listing people who've participated. Jump into a war, and I'll add you to the list.

The rules are simple. Whoever shows up on the day rolls a 100-sided die with one of the Discord dice bots that we have (with the command "/r 1d100 # username's slot"), and thereby gets a priority number. Once we know how many players we have, we decide on the number of teams. If we have six players, we play a 2v2v2, if we have nine a 3v3v3. If we have an odd number like say 11, we play a 3v3v3v2, with the two players of the last team getting a 1.5x eco boost. That would be the handicapped team. And if that team wins, they get 1.5 points on the leadboard, instead of 1, because the 1.5x eco doesn't quite make up for the loss of an extra player's APM.

As for who gets to be in the handicapped team, or in any team for that matter, that's what the dice rolls are for. Once everyone has their priority number, and once we've determined the number of teams and the players per team, the players take up their slots in the voice channels in order of priority, from lowest roll to highest, filling up the teams as they go. So the handicapped guys will be those with the highest rolls in every war, whenever the number of players is odd like a 5, a 7 or an 11 (some odd numbers like 9 are fine though).
Last edited by icycalm on 25 Dec 2020 04:04, edited 2 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 25 Dec 2020 07:54

I have a feeling that the 1.5x eco boost is going to be way too much. It doesn't sound like much on paper, but you have to remember that it's multiplying every single metal extractor and every energy plant built for that team too. I'm not really sure what a good alternative boost would be though, and I'm still happy to play against a team with that economy. At least we won't have to worry about it unless we end up with a number of players that add up to a prime number.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Dec 2020 23:06

If a third player was playing in our theoretical handicapped team, he would be generating economy. How much would he be generating? On average, about as much as each of his teammates. So by multiplying both of their economies by 50%, you arrive, on average, at the economy of a non-handicapped team. However, that doesn't help the handicapped team with tactics, since they lose one player's APM. And that's why, if that team wins, I want to give each player 1.5 points on the leaderboard, as opposed to 1 point. If we wanted to make up for the lost APM for tactics, we'd have to give them even more than 1.5x eco. And maybe we should do that. Say 1.6 or 1.7. I just don't have an exact number, as I do with the economy compensation. If we do give them more than 1.5, they won't be getting extra points for victory on the leaderboard of course.

I prefer 1.5x and 1.5 points though. It's neater. So if you end up in a handicapped team, you can see it as an opportunity to jump higher on the leaderboard in one match than normally.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Feb 2022 21:20

There's a new section on the frontpage of the Insomnia YouTube channel with the Cosmic War videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/insomniacult

You only see the latest six there, but if you click through you get the full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... E9B7ZncjEt

We have most of the viewpoints but not all because in War #1 Team 3 (Archonus + Some guy) wasn't streaming, in War #2 Team 2 (Ciaróg + Robomoo) wasn't streaming (and that was the winning team, so we don't have the winning team's viewpoint for that war), and in War #3 Team 6 (feth) wasn't streaming.

So it's not too bad overall, we're only missing one viewpoint per war, and I think we can do better next time as more people should be streaming.

One thing I'd like to improve is the team positions in the lobby. For the past wars it was random, but starting from the next one I want it to be the same as the Discord channel positions, which should be according to the roll of the dice, from lowest to highest, i.e. Team 1 should have the players who rolled the lowest, and so on.

And finally, you can see my new notation for stream titles, in the following format:

3v3v3v3v2v1 cosmicwar.net Insomnia Cosmic War #3 with recoil (Team 3/6)

So, more generally:

[lobby format] cosmicwar.net Insomnia Cosmic War #X with [username] (Team Y/Z)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cosmic War