default header

Cosmic War

Cosmic tiers

Moderator: JC Denton

Cosmic tiers

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jan 2022 02:33

Though in the long run I want the Cosmic War teams to be entirely random (apart from people who come in with their friends as teams), we won't be doing that to start with, because the chance of getting wildly unbalanced teams will be high. So let me explain how I plan to add some hardwired balancing into the process.

First off, I will separate into tiers the 17 players we currently have.

Tier 1
icycalm
ChevRage
recoil

Tier 2
Ciaróg
Robomoo
danjiro
Some guy

Tier 3
ExiledOne
Archonus
ysignal
schadenfreude
Beakman

Tier 4
feth
shubn
Jameson
Q-veta
Saf

And note that I've also ranked people WITHIN tiers.

This is a ROUGH ranking, from everything I've played and seen and know about the players. It easily has a +/-1 tier error of margin, so don't be bothered if I put you in the wrong tier, or the wrong rank within a tier. A one-tier-lower player could easily beat a one-tier-higher player given the right circumstances. Two tiers difference... not so much.

So on Saturday, since it's our first war after a long hiatus, and a lot is riding on it, I will do some balancing in the following manner: I will endeavor to put roughly one player from each tier in every team. Since we will have at least four teams on Saturday, and probably five, it means that one or two teams won't have tier 1 players, but they will have two tier 2 players etc. We will STILL roll dice to determine the team-ups, but only across tiers, not within them. So let's say we have four teams: three of them will get me, Chev and recoil, one in each team. Then we will roll for which two players from tier 2 will be in the fourth team. Then we will roll for how the tier 3 players will be distributed across the teams, and so on all the way down the tier-list.

This should give us a VERY balanced war that will be fun for everyone and last for AGES. Then by next week, many people will have put a lot more hours in the game and ranked up, and we'll be able to raise their rank, and the result will be more randomness in next week's war. A few months from now we'll all be far closer in skill than we are now, and at that point we can consider going full-random for team composition (apart from outside players who might want to come in with their own teams).

Of course after the Cosmic War, we play the Battle Royale, and then everyone is on their own.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Cosmic War