[AC] [PS4] [PS3] [PC] Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby El Chaos » 11 Dec 2015 14:55

El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby El Chaos » 24 Jan 2016 14:55

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/guilty-gear- ... th-america

Sal Romano wrote:Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator launches June 7 in North America

Western release due two weeks after Japan.

GGXrd-Rev-Dated-US-Init.jpg
GGXrd-Rev-Dated-US-Init.jpg (107.66 KiB) Viewed 12047 times

Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator will launch for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 on June 7 in North America, publisher Aksys Games announced.

Earlier this week, developer Arc System Works confirmed a May 26 Japanese release date. First-print copies will include new playable character Kum Haehyun.
El Chaos
Insomnia Staff

[PS4] [PS3] [PC] Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2

Unread postby Sparkster » 15 Jan 2017 00:02

rev2.png

http://shoryuken.com/2017/01/14/guilty- ... -the-cast/

At the end of the Arc System Works Fighting Game Award 2016, the company made the following announcement: Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2 is coming for the PlayStation 3, 4, and Steam.

A promotional trailer shows off two characters that will be added to the cast: “Business Ninja” Answer, who appeared in Story Mode and “Lone Samurai” Baiken, who also made an appearance in the narrative, as well as in the past Guilty Gear games. There will be additional Story Mode content, online play changes, and larger rebalances for the cast than compared to -REVELATOR- 1-1, which select characters even gaining new moves.

Arc System Works doesn’t have a price point yet, but the company said it will make it “affordable” during the presentation. There will be a retail disc for the PlayStation 4 version, while PS3 and Steam will get it in form of DLC. PS4 users will also be able to upgrade their -REVELATOR- copy, if they do not wish to buy the new disc version. REV 2 is expected to hit arcades this Spring.

On January 20th until the 22nd, location tests for REV 2 will begin.

Promotion Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNRPiSQ1E-8

answer.png

baiken.png
Sparkster

Unread postby quash » 12 Feb 2017 10:42

I've played the Rev 2 loctest build quite a bit now. I am somewhat disappointed in Baiken's design; instead of having guard cancels like she's had in every other game, she now has a catch counter that's performed by pressing S+HS from which she can perform various followups. Also, she cannot YRC any of her followups as of right now, including the ones she was able to FRC in older games such as Sakura.

Basically, her defining characteristic is gone. She has to do what everyone else does, only she can perform a different move instead of the standard charged blitz attack everyone else gets.

I do hope ArcSys reconsiders this decision at some point, but beyond that she is a welcome addition to the cast. Tatami Gaeshi seems to be roughly identical to its AC counterpart and she has her dust loop back as well. If you played Baiken before, you'll be right at home until you accidentally try to guard cancel out of a blockstring.
quash

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Feb 2017 16:52

When you say "loctest build" do you mean in the arcades, or on the PC somehow? The videos you have up on Twitch on the Insomnia channel are from which version of Revelator precisely? Because I want to make sure the labeling is precise.

Also, as I asked on Discord, what does the game call the mode you are playing when streaming? I know you go into training mode at some points, but it doesn't matter -- I am only interested in the mode you play most of the time; I just want to know what I should call it in the video titles.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby quash » 12 Feb 2017 22:54

Rev 2 is only at select arcades at the moment. Last night was exclusively online player matches so you can just call it that.
quash

Unread postby ExiledOne » 12 Mar 2018 13:06

Next Guilty Gear game will be less complex to attract wider audience, says series creator
https://www.pcgamer.com/next-guilty-gea ... -audience/

Samuel Horti wrote:Developer Arc System Works has found success with Dragon Ball FighterZ, a gorgeous brawler that strikes the right balance between complexity and accessibility. It wants to do the same in the future, and for its Guilty Gear games that will mean streamlining the number of systems in order to attract a wider audience, series creator Daisuke Ishiwatari has said.

Speaking to Destructoid, Ishiwatari said that Guilty Gear games in the past have been "too complicated" for some players, and that Arc is keen to simplify them to "expand the userbase". Specifically, he wants to "reduce the number of systems" at play.

"After releasing Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 it's clear what we need to improve on. The key is to win over more users because of the complex controls," he said. "But if we implement everything the game will no longer be Guilty Gear. It's hard to balance out all the improvements. One thing that we have to do in the next installment is to reduce the number of systems; it's too complicated for everyone. You can expect that in the next game."

He stressed that the series will still want to "maintain the people we've already won over", but his comments are surely a sign of a shift in focus. Perhaps those that enjoyed the complexity of the likes of Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign- might not like future games as much. But then again, Dragon Ball FighterZ shows that Arc knows how to get the balance right. Let's wait and see.

Sad news if they actually follow through with it. The selling point of Dragon Ball FighterZ isn't its supposed mechanical simplicity (I haven't played it yet). It's because of its theme (it's DBZ) and the artstyle but that part was just copied from Xrd. If Dragon Ball FighterZ had the mechanical complexity of Guilty Gear, the most casual fighting game fans (I'm thinking the majority of those in the 2 million+ sales figure) would just ignore the complex mechanics and button mash, as they are already doing I hear. The only requirement they have for the game is if they can play with Goku or not. To me, Xrd's greatest achievement aside from its groundbreaking artstyle (in the genre) is the way it opened up the Roman Cancel System from previous games. They lowered the execution requirement for Roman Cancels (which was kinda ridiculous for some characters) so that anyone could do them without spending hours in training mode while still maintaining their usefulness and even making them more flexible than in the past. It's a perfect example of accessibility done right. They were already on the right path before Dragon Ball FighterZ was even announced. But I guess it's hard to deny the money that game made. But then if that's the case, they're better off licensing another popular franchise (I don't know, Naruto or some shit) and putting it through the Xrd graphical filter than removing Guilty Gear's systems in an attempt to increase their audience.
ExiledOne

Re: [AC] [PS4] [PS3] [PC] Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-

Unread postby ExiledOne » 17 Jun 2021 00:18

Some guy created a mod that combines elements from +R with Xrd and even throws in some new mechanics. He calls it Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 0, and you can find out more about it from the creator's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SolAscension

From the included change-log files (there's one for each character):

System Mechanics:
Zer0 Cancel – All characters can now press any two (2) of P/K/S to air dash or cancel out of a normal into an air dash!
Force Break (FB) – A powerful move that consumes 25% tension to unleash a devastating special ability!
Aerial Dead Angle – An aerial version of Dead Angle! Press forward and any two buttons while blocking in the air to perform an attack that will send the opponent flying back!

Each character has new specials as well along with force-breaks (which originated in +R).

Some of the trailers look pretty insane (and kinda broken lol) but in the actual match videos, it doesn't look nearly as bad. Everyone looks strong in a combo video right?

May Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZrlgt4siA

Sol Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERWB3efZQs

Answer Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYY9ErV0hmE

Online matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc8uWyxdJ8w

At around the 49:15 mark, he talks about Strive and what he learned from working on the Rev 2 mod. He basically says he thinks the devs were right and that Rev 2 is pretty complete and probably didn't justify having a whole team to make changes to it. He also says he generally made things stronger than trying to actively balance them out and that the knowledge he gained by working on the mod helped him accept the mechanical changes in Strive a bit more.

I've tested the mod out briefly myself and it works well. A lot of the new moves fit the characters well and look good generally. This mod seems to put an emphasis on aerial combat judging by the moves and mechanics they added. Characters often have air and ground force-breaks as well. All the characters have been completed also.

Here's an invite link to their Discord channel where you can download the mod: https://discord.gg/mU6sKSBHfk

Go with whatever the latest new installer is in the '#current-alpha-build' channel. Apparently the old one was a separate program while the new one is like an injection and has its own in-game menu. The menu can be hidden as well with an F1 toggle. If you use this, be sure to make a backup of your old game installation somewhere. I think it erased my save-data as well.

One thing I noticed is if you want to test out the new moves in training mode or something, Rev 2 didn't really let me pull up another window over the game. Not sure if it was always like this but downloading it on your phone so you have access to the move-list is a good idea (the new moves don't appear in the character's in-game move-list yet).

Closest thing we'll get to Rev 3 for a while I think.

I know we're all playing Strive right now anyway (and hopefully the Samurai Shodown reboot eventually), but I thought this looked interesting and wanted to let everyone know about it.
ExiledOne

Previous

Return to Games