default header

Theory

lol

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby racketboy » 18 Dec 2007 16:54

icycalm wrote: the kind of 2D games your article should have been about.

Ah, I missed this part....

So what games? like imports? or just pure 2D?

BTW, doesn't Brandon do most of the insertcredit stuff?
racketboy

Unread postby Recap » 18 Dec 2007 17:17

The Best High-Resolution 2D Games Yet To Be Released

Luckly for old-school gamers, there are plenty of two-dimensional games on portable gaming devices like the GBA, DS, and PSP.

The UDON team is striving to give a modern look to every element of the game while keeping its original style.

The optimist in me says that with all the work they are putting into this remake, I don’t think that Capcom and UDON will let Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix be anything less than incredible.

and polished it with modern gaming gloss in order to resurect a genre that has been forgotten by the gaming masses.

As if the standard adventure mode and game’s slick and humorous style wasn’t enough to get old-school fans excited

Hudson is teaming up with Natsume (the team behind Harvest Moon)

Omega Five is stricktly 2D in terms of gameplay, but does feature 3D elements. One particular gimmick for this game is that enemies can emerge from the 3D background and not just from the top and bottom of the screen.

In their informitive preview, IGN discusses the control scheme:”As your player hovers over the screen, like Space Harrier from a different perspective,

The XBox Live Arcade might have been the most logical choice for a 2D Action RPG,

so there should be some quality behind Söldner-X’s promises.

And yet your site "makes some money"? Yeah, I'm "jealous" now.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby racketboy » 18 Dec 2007 17:18

Get a life, man. You still make no sense.

Games are supposed to be fun.
Why are you so critical?

Or is trolling just a sport for you?
racketboy

Unread postby Recap » 18 Dec 2007 17:21

You're fun, too, you know.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2007 17:23

He is telling you that all the sentences of yours he quoted are rubbish. And, you know, I more or less agree with him.

That's all there is to it. You don't have to read more into our posts than what is written in them. No one here hates you. It's just that we can't help ourselves but point out mistakes when we see them.

Anyway, it's not your fault, really. There are only a hanful of websites that are not full of crap, so it's very hard for most people to get their facts straight.

But I understand what you were trying to say with that story abou the old lady. Me, I probably would have told her to fuck off :)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2007 17:25

Just kidding!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby racketboy » 18 Dec 2007 17:30

So I'm not a skilled writer and I don't know everything about most games.
Did I ever claim to be otherwise?
I'm flattered that you think I might be skilled and knowledgeable, but I've admitted numerous times to people that my writing sucks and I have TONS to learn.

You think that's bad, you should read some of my older stuff.

Being popular is a double-edged sword. It's nice to have people pay attention to what you have to say, but then people expect more out of you.

After seeing some other threads around here reviewing reviews, I'm wondering if this place should turn into a literary forum....
racketboy

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2007 17:31

No one is criticizing your writing skill. Only your knowledge of the subject matter.

racketboy wrote: You think that's bad, you should read some of my older stuff.

Same here! My older stuff is terrible. Thankfully, my first review doesn't exist anymore.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby racketboy » 18 Dec 2007 17:37

icycalm wrote:No one is criticizing your writing skill. Only your knowledge of the subject matter.

Well, you're still giving me too much credit.

I always tell people I enjoy talking about games more than actually playing them.
I honestly don't have time to play games that much anymore. I always feel the need to post something worthwhile ever 2 or 3 days (on top of my day job), so that consumes a lot of my day.

Someday, I hope to slow things down and actually spend more times with my games.

This still isn't an excuse for the rude commentary from Recap.
racketboy

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2007 17:39

Where is that rude commentary you are talking about? The only thing I saw was that he mentioned your mother? But that wasn't even that rude anyway.

There is a deeper issue here, but I am not sure you would like to me to tell you about it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby racketboy » 18 Dec 2007 18:08

I guess it's just the whole tone of the conversation.
I'll just drop it.
racketboy

Unread postby Recap » 18 Dec 2007 18:16

racketboy wrote:tone

racketboy wrote:Dude, chill out.

racketboy wrote:I recommend you

racketboy wrote:The criticism at the beginning of this thread: not so useful.

racketboy wrote:let see you do better

racketboy wrote:and I'll take you seriously.

racketboy wrote:Now who is this Recap guy and what is his deal?

racketboy wrote:So is he just jealous

racketboy wrote:Get a life, man.

racketboy wrote:You still make no sense.

racketboy wrote:Or is trolling just a sport for you?
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2007 18:27

You guys just got off on the wrong foot. racketboy, I told you this via PM, but I repeat for the benefit of the others that it's unreasonable to call someone a troll and not expect some kind of a response. So please do as you said and just drop it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby racketboy » 18 Dec 2007 18:29

icycalm wrote:You guys just got off on the wrong foot. racketboy, I told you this via PM, but I repeat for the benefit of the others that it's unreasonable to call someone a troll and not expect some kind of a response. So please do as you said and just drop it.

I am.

Have a great day everone!
And a Merry Christmas too!
racketboy

Unread postby Recap » 18 Dec 2007 18:30

icycalm wrote:You guys just got off on the wrong foot.

I'd say I chose my foot quite right, indeed!
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 18 Dec 2007 18:36

I was trying to be diplomatic.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby NFG » 18 Dec 2007 22:50

Same here! My older stuff is terrible. Thankfully, my first review doesn't exist anymore.

My first reviews were just as brilliant as my most recent ones.

Man, I'm awesome.
我一直指责上帝
NFG

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Dec 2007 22:52

This is not exactly lollerific, but I thought I'd toss it in here:

Also what makes you believe that insomnia.ac reviews are biased? To me it looks like that site is made out of love for video games, not something that is made to pay the bills.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/12/20/ma ... ent-278010

Indeed, my friend. Indeed.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Dec 2007 12:02

I was just checking Kohler's blog on Wired to catch up up with what kind of shit passes for "game news" these days:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/12/fir ... -crea.html

His front page is full of this kind of crap:

http://blog.wired.com/games/

I was in contact with him a few weeks ago about the possibility of them hiring me to turn their contemptible news coverage into something decent, but I guess he was afraid I'd make him look redundant, so it didn't happen. I would have moved back to Japan if they hired me, too.

At least now I can freely link his blog and laugh at it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Dec 2007 01:25

My man racketboy has struck again:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/12/ ... -2007.html

You can't make this shit up.

racketboy, if you end up reading this, here's a piece of advice: Since you admit that your knowledge of the things you write about is often sketchy, and in any case you see these articles as learning experiences, perhaps it would be more sensible to stop using titles like THE TOP TWENTY BLAH BLAH BLA THE WORLD HAS EVAR SEEN!11, and instead go for something a bit more humble- and honest-sounding. Like: "Hey dudes, here's a bunch of neat games I played last weekend".

You'd get less hits that way, but you'd save some dignity.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Flying Omelette » 30 Dec 2007 04:00

I'm not sure how you'd know something that hasn't been released yet is one of the "best" anything ever, unless you had some means of playing an advanced copy. Well, anyway, I do appreciate the hits I get from racketboy's articles when he links to stuff around that ungainly labyrinthine website of mine.

icycalm wrote:1. I hate comments-based systems.

I don't care if other sites use them, but I agree with this. I've had people suggest I put those on my website, but I don't understand why. Why would I want a bunch of comments from people I don't know all over my pages? And why would you want to read a bunch of comments from people you don't know? I have forums, a public email address, and a Q&A. If someone has something to say, if it's important enough, they can use one of those methods.
Flying Omelette

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Dec 2007 08:48

Yeah, this is what I don't like about the comments system. I put so much work into each and every page of this site, that to have people come in and just post "lol" right at the bottom is unacceptable. And when I say "lol" I don't mean literally "lol", I mean any old random post. When you write a review or an article you want to leave the reader with a certain impression at the end, an impression which any kind of comment at the bottom is guaranteed to destroy.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby burnsro » 30 Dec 2007 20:32

How is Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass an old-school game? If Phantom Hourglass, a game that has taken the series into completely touch screen controls, is an old-school game then nearly any game released in 2007 could be considered an old-school game.

There needs to be an established set of criteria that constitutes as to what is an old-school game in the beginning of the article.

Well, rereading it I see that he wrote "here at Racketboy, we will be taking a look at the best new games of 2007 that focus either focus on old-school gameplay or are remakes of classic games." From this quote we can expect him to list games that were new games in 2007 and fall in one of the following criteria:

Old-school gameplay
-Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
-Contra 4
-Odin Sphere
-Pac-Man Championship Edition

Remake of a classic game
-Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

The following titles do not count
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night(not a remake, a port of a game that was new in 1997)
-Metal Slug Anthology(ports of games that came out in varying years but not in 2007)
-Super Mario Bros. 3 (not a new game in 2007)
-Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (Is this a remake or an enhanced port? I'm going with an enhanced port. Chime in if I'm wrong about this.)
-Sin and Punishment(not a new game in 2007)
-Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass(it came out in 2007! But no old-school gameplay or remake)

The list is actually based on a poll he made so he was depending on random people's opinions rather than to formulate his own. Racketboy, try making this list again. Your opinion is more important, and interesting I hope, than random people.
burnsro

Unread postby Recap » 02 Jan 2008 14:34

burnsro wrote:Your opinion is more important, and interesting I hope, than random people.

I guess you didn't read this thread from the very beginning.

My question is, if may I -- why in the world do you keep reading that site? I can see the point of having it in the links section (Select Button is there, after all), but of actually reading its stuff? What am I missing here?
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 02 Jan 2008 15:17

Recap wrote:I can see the point of having it in the links section

Actually, we did the link exchange thing a while back with racketboy, but he seems to have taken down his links section in the meantime (presumably because he figured he didn't need it anymore, now that he is Digg's darling).

Recap wrote:What am I missing here?

The thread's title.
icycalm
Hyperborean

PreviousNext

Return to Theory