default header

Games

Anyone interested to play some arcade games for highscores?

Moderator: JC Denton

Anyone interested to play some arcade games for highscores?

Unread postby Edge » 22 Apr 2006 07:49

So? Anyone interested.
I am just looking for some frienldy competition, not an e-penis contest.
We can play on Wolf Mame and record our inputs, but we don't have to.

I have a little Mame highscore table running: Highscore table
(the forum is in German, so i guess it's ok if i link it icy?)

I like playing a lot of different stuff. Mainly shoot'em ups, but if you like we could play something else. I think playing for highscores is pretty addicting and makes some games more enjoyable. :)[/url]
Edge

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Apr 2006 13:46

Dude you can link whatever you want. I am in, but there's a couple of problems. My MAME setup at he moment consists of a laptop with a 12" monitor and a joypad, so my scores will suck (I usually play shooters on a 29" tate TV with an arcade stick).

I am not going to try and beat your Dodonpachi high score on 12" monitor!!

So let's try some more obscure games. How about Raizing's Mahou Daisakusen? I've only played it a few times. Or you can suggest some other games...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Edge » 23 Apr 2006 08:51

Great.

hmm.. about other possible games. I'd like to play Armed Police Batrider, another one from Raizing. I'd be pretty curious about this one, since i just tried it a few times in Mame and found it pretty neat. Kaede, who might join us, recommended Dangun Feveron. Pretty fast paced from Cave and not easy as I figured. And you suggested Mahou Daisakusen.

So, I'd be ok with any of these. To me all of these would be new and look like fun. As the newest member I'll let you choose, Icy. Check them once or twice and then tell me what you'd like to play. ^_^
Edge

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Apr 2006 12:26

Look, Dangun is a Cave game and I've been playing Cave games non-stop for the past 3 weeks (Espgaluda and Mushihime-sama). Mahou Daisakusen is Raizing's first game, while Batrider is their 4th or 5th. So I say let's play their first game first and move on to the others later...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Edge » 23 Apr 2006 14:15

Ok, then let's play Mahou Daisakusen.

I have made a first highscore to get the things started.

Edge - 254'210 - Stage 3 - Miyamoto

So, I uploaded the emu (Wolf Mame 0.97), rom & the reply file in this pack: emu & rom

Wolf Mame is like Mame Plus but the replay files are safer and can't be cheated. To make a replay you simply have to click on a game and then on "play and record input" that's all. If you zip those .inp files (replays) they are only a few kb. :D
Edge

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Apr 2006 01:28

After about an hour I got this:

icycalm - 246'080 - Stage 3 - Chitta

Then I thought wtf, I might as well play one more credit just to beat your score. And then I played another one and another one and another one, and now it's 3:26 am and I am going to bed! I keep making stupid mistakes on the second stage. It's either those damn cannons or the boss.

Check the screen. Tomorrow I'll start recording and posting replays.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Edge » 29 Apr 2006 09:14

Refering to your post in another thread. Yeah I am still looking forward to play more Mahou Daisakusen. But you made no new scores and I though you may got bored from this game... :?

I didn't want to go so far ahead with my score, because I thought it would be discouraging.
Edge

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Apr 2006 19:18

Well, this a more like a shared high score table and not a competition, so don't worry about discouraging me. If anything, you can give me a target to aim for so that I don't get bored. In any case there's no way I can get decent scores with a gamepad, but it's still fun trying. Better than not playing anything, at least.

I've also started playing Irem's X-Multiply, a beatiful horizontal shooter with many similarities to games like R-Type and Last Resort. If you've never played it I suggest you give it a try.

I'll post more Mahou Daisakusen scores if and when I manage to beat my score!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 30 May 2006 13:09

Is there a way we can post here screen captures from MAME? I'm currently trying to hi-score (actually survive 1C as long as possible :P ) the following games:

MAME
- Dodonpachi
- Progear No Arashi
- Armed Police Batrider

PC
- Shikigami No Shiro II
- (Nothing else :(, PC does not get what it deserves as 2D shmups conserned )
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 30 May 2006 16:07

You can take snaps of MAME games by pressing F12. They are saved to the /snap subdirectory. Then you need to host them somewhere (like imageshack) and voila.

Anyway, I have to ask: do I know you? How did you find this place?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 31 May 2006 10:01

I remember searching the net for Cave games and expos, and yours came as one of the first.
I'm glad to see although that a bunch of articles of yours are great and in some subjects we have the same "piece of mind". I love games, I love 2D shooters, I'm Greek too ( έλα ρε πατριωτάκι!! ), I like Japan ( except cockroaches ) and I like your way of writing. As for the hi-score subject, is there a way I can post screen images without uploading them first in a web server?
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2006 23:09

Thanks for the kind words. A number of my Greek friends and acquaintances know about this site, and so when I saw your location I thought you might have been one of them.

Unfortunately, there is no way for you to post pictures here unless you upload them to a server. A pain in the ass, certainly, but that is the way of the internets.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 19 Jul 2006 14:52

Is anyone still interested in playing some arcade games?

I have DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou, Mushihime-sama and Ibara on my PS2 and tons of other games on MAME, although I am a mediocre player at best.
So someone just pick a game and let's play.
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 20 Jul 2006 05:10

I am always up for some arcade gaming, especially if we discover some obscure games none of us has ever played. Make some suggestions. I am currently on the move, but I'll try to think of something and post later.

Something that plays well with a pad, because I don't have an arcade stick at the moment.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 02 Nov 2006 12:31

I'm MIL.

Donpachi:

DoDonpachi:
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Nov 2006 05:19

What controller are you using? Don't tell me you are using a keyboard!

Do you want me to send you a good arcade stick?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 03 Nov 2006 12:37

icycalm wrote:What controller are you using? Don't tell me you are using a keyboard!

Do you want me to send you a good arcade stick?

I'm using a japanese Sega Saturn battle stick with a USB adapter. The irony is that this stick is better for shmups than beat'em ups :P. Nevertheless The Hori one you have for PS2 is great especailly for shmups. If you send one from Japan, how much will it cost? Will you do me another favor? Could you please search about prices of japanese(obviously) Sega Saturns over there?

Come on people post some high score tables!!

Next week I'll post some Raizing high scores. Battle Garegga and Armed Police Batrider.

I love shmups!!

Shikigami No Shiro II
Jedah

Unread postby Jedah » 07 Nov 2006 10:47

Armed Police Batrider(Normal course):

Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Nov 2006 11:49

YO!

Let's concentrate on one game. Pick one and let me know.

I'll get back to you on the stick and Saturn soon!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 07 Nov 2006 15:03

Ok let's stick first with Donpachi. I think it's the game I should have the most significant improvement. Are you ok with this? I'll post next week although, because yesterday I destroyed my partition table trying to install a Linux boot loader to a place different from the boot loader :P . Thank God I had my data separated under many partitions and I only lost one of my Windows installations. 8)
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Nov 2006 15:53

Ok, I'll start playing it over the weekend. Also, there's no point in posting high-score tables for every score. Just post an in-game picture if you want to ilustrate something -- like a particularly tough spot for example.

About the Hori stick, now. It costs about 4,000 yen, depending on the store. I think the cheapest I've seen it is 3,800.

A used Saturn goes for anywhere betweem 5,000 and 10,000 yen, depending on the condition, and if it comes with a box, manuals etc. Check out this auction for example:

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n47956106

The Saturn is used, but in "like new" condition, and everything is included. Auction starts at 9.800 yen, and the Buy-It-Now price is 19,800. It ends in 4 days. If you want me to bid on it tell my your maximum bid and I will try to get it for you. (Of course then you'd have to send me the money within 3-4 days after the auction ends. You can deposit it into my NovaBank account if you want to.)

A new Saturn is quite a bit more expensive. I've seen them go in auctions for 20,000 to 40,000.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 13 Nov 2006 12:26

See your pms. I'm really looking forward for your high-score.
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Nov 2006 17:22

Well, shit man, it's not gonna happen. I thought I'd be able to get some Donpachi time, but I have my hands full with half a dozen other games I am playing for review. And especially when since two of them (Mushi Futari and PinkSweets) are also Cave shooters, I can't really concentrate on playing too many of these games at once. If I play more than two I end up sucking at all of them.

But look, if you want some competition this is the place to go to:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewforum.php?f=2

Absolutely every shooter you could possibly want to play. With the exception of 3-4 assholes, the guys are really nice too and will help you out if you have questions. And you'll always have others to play with, in contrast to this place...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games