default header

Games

Videogame Art

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Mar 2009 21:19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dc7j04mxKA

I've clocked more than thirty hours on this game, and I still don't get what half of these counters do.

And I am sure you could find people who could clock THEIR ENTIRE LIVES on this game and still not get what any of the counters do. In any case, whatever they may do is certainly much less complex than what the counters in Civilization do.

But what the fuck does that have to do with this thread? Didn't you read the point where I said that this thread is for experts only? So if you haven't even figured out how the fuck the game even works, HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU RECOMMEND IT AS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER?

Don't fucking answer. Just stop posting before you make me mad enough to track down your IP address, fly to your home, and clobber you to death.

EDIT: I don't know Japanese, so that may be my problem here.

Well, judging from your posts in this thread, I'd say your problem is that you are stupid.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 31 Mar 2009 12:08

icycalm wrote:Also, it'd be great to hear which games you think should be included instead... This is sort of what this thread is about in the first place.

Instead of Image Fight, many others. It's not exactly the genre's epitome.

Instead of Leynos and Valken, Leynos 2, which, at least, is prettier, though this is a formula I never liked and hardly believe you can like unless you are into mecha stuff. Contra Spirits/Metal Slug style instead all the way.

Instead of Omega Boost... none. I'm afraid I find the 3D shooting genre a miss since the Space Harrier/After Burner days.
Or if they didn't want players to credit feed, since basic design choices all point to COIN OP.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Mar 2009 13:08

Recap wrote:Instead of Leynos and Valken, Leynos 2, which, at least, is prettier

Prettiness is not among the criteria for including games in this book. If it was, we would hardly be able to include any early games (Spacewar, Famicom Wars, Fire Emblem, etc.), because they all got sequels which were prettier.

Instead, we include everything. All the Fire Emblems. All the Wars games, etc.

As for your dislike of the sidescrolling mecha and 3D shooting genres, it's like my dislike of the bemani, sports and vs. FPS genres -- we basically have nothing to contribute to those sections of the book, because of our dislike of those genres. So we contribute to those genres which we enjoy, and let others take care of those ones which we don't.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby CMiller » 30 Sep 2009 20:20

Why isn't Starcraft on the list for Strategy (Real time)?

Starcraft was actually able to take 3 races that play very differently and have a balanced game, instead of having races that are mostly the same.

If you look at the professional Starcraft scene in Korea, which has been going on for a decade, players are still innovating and coming up with new strategies and build orders, all the while the game remains balanced such that no race has a large advantage. Hundreds of thousands of people in Korea continue to watch matches on television because the game is still interesting and fresh, and because the professional players are better than any of them could ever be. If the longevity of a game in the competitive scene is an indication of a game's quality, then Starcraft gets a lot of points for that.

The skill ceiling is also very high as the game requires an extreme amount of multitasking and decision making. Not only do you have to manage many things at once, but you have to decide how to divide your time between managing unit production and economy, and managing your army.

Too many people see the game as 'mass a bunch of units and win', but they do not understand the complexity that goes into matches between good players.
CMiller

Unread postby zinger » 30 Sep 2009 21:50

CMiller wrote:Why isn't Starcraft on the list for Strategy (Real time)

Because Herzog Zwei is the only RTS worth playing, lol? Doesn't look like the list is finished, does it?
zinger

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Sep 2009 23:42

Yeah, I think I'll just ban this guy. At first I thought I'd give him a second chance, but nah, I've had it with all these autistic children. Not only is the list not finished, it's barely even started yet, and we already have the gamefaqs crowd screaming WHY IS BLAHBLAHBLHA NOT ON THE GODDAMN LIST!!?

READ THE FUCKING THREAD YOU MORON!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby remy77077 » 06 Nov 2009 15:53

This is a general query with the reviewing standards here, and after much searching through your forums, I thought this thread was the most relevant place to ask it, as it enters into the debate of the current choices.

In the first three posts in this thread, you explain that the "Videogame Art" classification is both an attempt to "canonize games" and "list the best ones by the current standards".

I understand that this list is highly incomplete, but the goal itself seems to be confused within reviews such as the Half-Life review by comments such as:

"remains a pretty excellent game to play through, what really completes the picture is when you consider when it came out in addition to how."

"All this was, for the time, pretty revolutionary stuff"

"The game has also aged pretty well"

In fact the whole review reads as if it is mainly placing the game in it's historical context with the title of 'classic' rather than a 'contemporary best of genre' (the text itself even implies that the reviewer considers it to have been surpassed by Halo), and this isn't a unique case having checked through a number of the other reviews.

I'm interesting in tracking down other games listed here as Videogame Art that I haven't already played for myself, but I am really looking for what experts consider the contemporary best of genre as opposed to 'historical classics'.
remy77077

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Nov 2009 19:17

In fact the whole review reads as if it is mainly placing the game in its historical context with the title of 'classic' rather than a 'contemporary best of genre'

Ummm... and? It is NOT a "contemporary best of genre", so what is your problem with the review or the reviewer?

Your post is quite incoherent. You are not really asking anything nor correcting anything nor telling us anything we didn't know.

This is a general query with the reviewing standards here,

Where the fuck is the query? Are we supposed to imagine it or some shit?

Think very carefully before you post again -- IF you have to post again. If you ask anything that has already been answered in this thread I will ban you.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Mar 2010 22:28

There's now a Videogame Art page on the site:

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/videogame_art/

It's still kind of rough, and I have not yet included sequels/updates, etc. These will most likely be included as text links right beneath the original game -- i.e. without their own thumbnail. This is to underscore the fact that the real achievement was the first game: i.e. Espgaluda or Arcana Heart, and not Espgaluda II or AH2, etc.

Some of the brief text descriptions also need to be redone.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Oct 2013 18:10

I am going to refrain from using images in Videogame Art essays, because the book won't have any either. Normally, videogame reviews NEED images, and above all screenshots. But most of the games in the Videogame Art section are so iconic everyone should already know what they look like. And my texts should be so lengthy and involving that, seriously, the only thing a screenshot would do is distract you from what I am saying. It's not like I even talk about the actual game for most of the essays. In Kunio-kun's review I range as widely as Viewtiful Joe, Doom, OutRun 2 and Metal Gear Rising. If anything, the text should be accompanied by images of THESE games. And who knows. Maybe one day I (or someone else) will publish a coffee-table version of the book with wide, sleek pages full of relevant illustrations to the points I make in each paragraph. But I'd need to sell a hell of a lot of copies of the original book before that happens, and people should be quoting it at GDC and lecture halls across the planet. So until then, you'll have to make do with plain text.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games