default header

Games

Which House of the Dead was the most fun?

Moderator: JC Denton

Which House of the Dead was the most fun?

Unread postby Pongism » 10 May 2006 03:03

One was a solid light gun game and all, but if possible I prefer to spend countless hours shooting clearly-European zombies in HotD2. Not that I'd prefer violence against Europeans, but of all types of zombies, European is a close third to Nazi zombies and dog zombies.

3 was nothing special at all.
Pongism

Unread postby Edge » 10 May 2006 22:25

I only played HotD2 enough to have a valueable opinion and i found it very enteretaining. Esspecially the level branching was nice, though I would like to pick up different power ups in the arcade mode, like the ones I can unveil in the Original Mode. And I agree the European setting is pretty nice, because it sets a dark atmosphere.
Edge

Unread postby icycalm » 11 May 2006 00:42

I played a few credits of the original HotD ages ago, and I don't remember anything. I really would like to play it properly, but I don't have my Saturn with me.

2 was the game that really introduced me to the series, and it's my favorite light gun game so far.

I've played 2-3 credits of 3 in the arcades, and maybe another 5-6 credits at home, and I really liked what I saw. It seemed more fast-paced. Great character designs and lots of color. But of course a few credits is not enough to form an opinion.

I haven't played 4, but I watched others play a couple of times. It looks like a step back graphically. The pace is somewhere between 2 and 3, and there seems to be almost no interaction with the backgrounds. But then again I only saw one stage.

Anyone remember when 3 was supposed to be cell-shaded? It looked fun.

I really love these games.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Chuplayer » 24 May 2006 23:53

icycalm wrote:Anyone remember when 3 was supposed to be cell-shaded? It looked fun.

Holy shit. Didn't they run some of those images in the Official Dreamcast Magazine? That was fucked up.

I played the demo of HOTD2 that came with my DC. It was what it was. I didn't have a lightgun, and Columbine kept official US guns out of the US, so that was that. Hated the limited ammo, though.

I played HOTD3 in the arcade. It was pretty cool. Shotguns on the zombies and all. Still, the arcade shotgun felt like a cheap toy.
Chuplayer

Unread postby Molloy » 25 May 2006 16:49

I've played HotD4 a fair bit. It's quite good. Not anything that amazing though.

HotD3 was bloody rubbish. Hated the shotguns.. it was so slooooowww.

HotD2 was the best of them so far. Lightgun games are best with lightguns, not novelty weapons.

Virtua Cop series pees all over the competition though. Nothing touches those games.
Molloy

Unread postby Jedah » 30 May 2006 13:13

I loved the second one on Dreamcast / PC. I've played it again and again to unlock everything. Very nice lightgun game, although with small replay value (as the whole genre I suppose).
Jedah

Return to Games