default header

Games

Action Button

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Feb 2020 02:20

CULT|icycalm
Over the 15 years that I've been in this scene, I have NEVER seen a comeback that lasted
Temporary pauses are common, and I go through them at least a couple times a year while I am on travelling adventures or working on some other project, but NO ONE comes back successfully in this business after a multi-year hiatus
Or show me an exception, I can't name a single one
If you can drop your blog for several years, it means you never really had much passion for it in the first place
Insert Credit wasn't even Tim's site, it was Brandon's
Tim only made a site at the VERY END, and it was worse than Brandon's, and it's an eye-sore to this day that's depressing to browse even for 10 seconds
How can anyone keep updating it for a decade lol? I wouldn't last a week on it. Of course he gave up on it in less than a year.
It's "punk rock" because we turn the screenshots into illegible black and white pixel soup
Well, maybe after 10 years of rumination Tim can come back and maybe figure out how to post a screenshot and make a page that's not vomit-inducing
And all that for what? So he can tell us that some crappy pretentious game "has crunch"
That's his main critical concept
"Crunch"
The mechanics "are crunchy"
Thanks bud
No wonder he didn't manage to last 15 years peddling this inane verbal swill
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Feb 2020 02:58

CULT|icycalm
http://archives.insertcredit.com/featur ... 06/01.html
Let's post something good of his for balance
If anyone can find the other ones, let me know
There should be at least 2004 and 2005 editions
Need to save them just in case IC goes offline and repost them on Insomnia

CULT|jeffrobot494
He quit Kotaku and is trying to make a go of it with a combination of freelance videos and Patreon. He’s got a Discord server I joined where he mentioned it.

CULT|icycalm
Oh!
Where's his Patreon?

CULT|jeffrobot494
I don’t think he’s launched it yet.

CULT|icycalm
Ah ok

CULT|jeffrobot494
I think it’s coming in the next couple of weeks.

CULT|icycalm
https://www.patreon.com/user/creators?u=434715

Tim Rogers | Patreon
Tim Rogers is pledging to 2 creators on Patreon. Join them today for exclusive content and patron-only benefits from your favorite creators!

This might be his account
Well this changes things
If he's into it for a living, he will persevere at least until he's sure how far he can take it
On the other hand...
Tim isn't serious enough to produce serious content for real gamers
On Insert Credit his shtick was welcome because there were other people rounding out the coverage
On his own he'll just be a lone clown

CULT|jeffrobot494
The Discord server is a bunch of Tim wannabes with endless inane chatter.

CULT|icycalm
How many users?
lol give me an invite I want to have fun

CULT|jeffrobot494
Here you go
https://discord.gg/PNMzaF

CULT|icycalm
Damn
2.5k?
And it's a new server?
Ah of course he has 45k followers on Twitter because Kotaku has been linking him for years
Yeah, I am in and there's nothing to read
It's easily the worst thing he has created
Maybe he'll wise up once the Patreon is up and he'll keep the Discord only for his supporters
That should cut down the numbers and increase the quality a bit, IF he does it, which he probably won't because he's addicted to numbers
For what it's worth, this is the Patreon of the number 2 guy at Insert Credit (Tim was number 3): https://www.patreon.com/azrtairne

Patreon
Azure L/T— is creating stories. Essays. Music. Illustration. Game d...
Become a patron of Azure L/T— today:
Read 193 posts by Azure L/T— and get access to exclusive
content and experiences on the world’s largest membership
platform for artists and creators.

8 patrons
"To varying extents, I write, draw, compose, design games, and whatever else happens to embroil me from moment to moment. Get me to a point where I'm able to think straight, and neat stuff may potentially happen!"
Wow so excited pls take my money
"If in a given month I reach $300 in patronage, I shall produce and deliver an original computer game for the elite preview, testing, and benefit of my benefactors. Platform, framework, theme, and genre to be determined largely on whim. I've got plenty of those."
This is the Insert Credit design philosophy in a nutshell
193 posts and only 8 patrons
Almost no likes at all
Even I have more likes than him lol
How times have changed
If you went back to the Insert Credit forum in the mid-2000s and told them that icy would be getting more likes than Aderack (his name then) everyone would have had a good laugh at your expense
Tim though will do better than me because of his Kotaku exposure
Maybe that will spur Brandon to go on Patreon too, and then maybe they'll all join forces, who knows
The best part of their site was the forum though
And now with the Patreon posts and Discord servers and Twitter feeds I just don't see them trying for a forum again
And it would be full of morons because of the Kotaku connection anyway
Back in the day we all made fun of Kotaku
And now Tim works/worked for them, and is drawing most of his crowd from it
Anyway, it will be an amusing development to follow for 5 minutes before it gets stale and I go back to trawling Steam reviews for good content
That's where the cutting-edge is today aside from my own content, and thank gaben for that
He schooled everybody and co-opted the best minds for his site
Hell, for a while even I tried to post reviews on Steam
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Feb 2020 03:29

CULT|icycalm
Insert Credit should have recognized my talent while I was posting in their forums and given me a column
I would have never made Insomnia, and the four of us would have demolished everything else and would have had an insane following by now
But they were threatened and narrow-minded and the result is that, 20 years later, all they have to show for it is half a dozen standout articles each when they were at their peak from 20 years ago
Meanwhile I have still not peaked lol
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games