default header

Games

AC|360|PS3|PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW Raiden IV

Moderator: JC Denton

AC|360|PS3|PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW Raiden IV

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Mar 2007 04:28

Already old news, but here's my take on this:

I wrote:A port of Raiden IV for the Xbox 360 is apparently in alpha stage and is scheduled to be released in the US at some unspecified point in the distant future. This news comes from an interview with one of UFO Interactive's managers recently conducted by Team Fremont. (And don't forget, UFO is also bringing to the US the PS2 port of Raiden III later this month.)

This is all very surprising, especially considering that it's going to be a while before Raiden IV is even released in Japanese arcades (it's currently slated for July). Moreover, no news of a Japanese 360 port has emerged through any of the usual sources. What has me worried the most is that UFO is considering releasing this on XBLA, which could very well mean a shoddy port in unsuitable resolution and with no option for tate. On the other hand, even if this is a regular disc release it could turn out ugly. By Royal decree all Xbox 360 games have to be 720p minimum and Raiden IV is a 640x480 game -- which is not even a widescreen resolution. G.rev faced the same problem when porting Senko no Ronde, but then again their game was in yoko so things were much simpler. It will be interesting to see how this gets handled.

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001624.html

The 360 is the console of choice for new shooters from now on, apparently. Senko no Ronde Rev.X, Treasure's new game, and now this...

Things are looking pretty good.
Last edited by icycalm on 15 Jun 2017 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby dementia » 02 Mar 2007 22:40

I really hope it's a retail game and not relegated to XBLA. XBLA games are not allowed to have vertical screen modes.
dementia

Unread postby xdscast » 12 Mar 2007 19:57

STOKED :D

Galaga has a vertical screen mode, no? MK3:U has the sides chopped off, right? I'm pretty sure MS will allow vertical screen mode for an XBLA game.
xdscast

Unread postby Ex Omni » 01 May 2007 03:56

He means portrait-mode. Like picking up your monitor and rotating it 90°.

As for the 360 being console of choice for shooters: hell yes! Ikaruga is supposedly coming. Once that's here: end of discussion.
Ex Omni

Unread postby Bakke » 30 May 2007 06:20

Can't wait for this sequel. I really love the STAGE1 song featured on the Raiden III OST.

In before, hi all. I'm a new user here. I've been checking the news but hadn't tried the forums.
On the caca!
Bakke

Unread postby icycalm » 30 May 2007 11:15

Hi, welcome.

I'd like to ask you to change your avatar to something without animation, if you don't mind. I mean it's funny and all but I have this thing against animated avatars/sigs. I guess you could say I get easily distracted.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Bakke » 30 May 2007 16:10

Hah, no problem... fixed.
On the caca!
Bakke

Unread postby JoshF » 25 Aug 2008 12:30

Interview with Hoshino Hitoshi (production director) on the official blog, translated by Rai82 at Shmumps:

http://raiden4.air-nifty.com/blog/2008/ ... _90d7.html
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 922#393922

Q: Please tell us, Mr Hoshino-san, of your work content.

A: All direction such as schedule and management of quality between the existing version and the new version, adjustment of enemy arrangement and overall balance of the game.

Q: How long did conversion of Raiden IV [to home console] take?

A: About 10 months.

Q: Presently in August, is the master up (refers to the completion of the beta version, in game industry terms) completed?

A: Master up already completed, now awaiting examination by Microsoft.

Q: Are there any technical problems during conversion from Type-X arcade board to Xbox 360? If there were any difficulties, please let us know.

A: Because both are PC-based architectures, conversion went smoothly, but the only difficulty we faced is the picture size and image change from output terminals to monitors.

Q: 3D (polygon drawing) for shooting games has been a topic among game fans concerning input delay. In regards to Raiden IV, how is work done on it?

A: We were aware of the topic from beginning of development when we created the program. It wasn’t delayed, but when RAP (game tester?) was roped in for the test, it got terrible.

Q: During conversion of resolution from arcade board to Xbox 360, was there any improvement of graphics (in Raiden III PS2 version, the display textures were cut down considerably)?

A: Because it becomes high resolution, enemy texture and effects were rewritten for high resolution. Basically it was just conversion to high specification, so effectiveness of freedom helped(?).

Q: In level 5 of arcade Raiden IV, there is a scene where the framerate drops considerably, has this been reproduced for the Xbox 360 version?

A: The part where the framerate drops has been intentionally included in the home version as well. However during 2-player simultaneous play using plasma lasers, the framerate will not drop in that circumstance.

Q: In regards to loading (in game), will there be a duration when the game reads?

A: Loading occurs between screens (in menu?), however I don’t think it’s a matter of concern.

Q: Please tell us the production concept of the new stages in Xbox 360 original mode.

A: In the arcade version, to reach the final boss [Level 5 EX] determines on your performance. [In the Xbox 360 version], Level 5 occurs in the battlefield, while Level 6 leads to the enemy’s frontline base.

Q: Please teach us the production concept for new additional boss characters. Are there any differences with the existing bosses?

A: The [new] bosses are able to transform. A slight difference is that their attack patterns are intentionally changed from other bosses.

Q: Has Original Mode undergone a game balance adjustment other than adding new stages?

A: Arcade Mode is still the same as before in arcade Raiden IV. In the new [original] mode, readjustments have been done from speed of bullets to arrangement.

Q: Is there a 2nd round for Original Mode?

A: Naturally there is.

Q: Was there any tremendous pressure during product conversion throughout the Raiden series?

A: Arcade version Raiden III to PS2/PC, arcade Raiden IV to Xbox 360, in each case there was some considerable pressure. Although we’re proud of the monumental work we have done in shooting (genre), however there is still stress involved. But if comments about gameplay can be heard, it is delightful above normal game development!(* I think what he’s trying to say that although they are proud of the work they have done in shooting genre and the stress involved, it is nice to hear comments about their game beyond game development.)

Q:最後にファンの皆様にメッセージをください

A: 「撃つ」「避ける」と言うシューティングの基本を突き詰めた雷電IV、新規の面やボスも入ってアーケード版をやり込んだ人でも楽しめると思いますので是非是非遊んで頂けるとうれしいです
JoshF

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Aug 2008 14:01

http://raiden.mossjp.co.jp/raiden4/x360/
http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/games/r/raiden4/

Image Image

More screens: http://raiden.mossjp.co.jp/raiden4/x360/03.htm

The main changes are readjusted balance (as mentioned in the interview) and two extra modes: Xbox 360 Mode and Score Attack Mode.

Download Contents:

I discern a Cave inspiration! Watch out for toddlercon in Raiden V!

Comes out September 11.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Recap » 25 Aug 2008 17:10

icycalm wrote:Download Contents:

So they sell what already is an incomplete version of the game. If you want the extra ships, you must pay extra cash, and still, you'll only get them in volatile form... Laughs.

Seriously, has this born-in-the-USA modern trend crap made something good for gaming? I'd like to know.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Aug 2008 17:39

Nope, from what I can see.

But you can't really blame them for trying to make a few extra bucks from players suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder (i.e. most of them).

But the fact remains that I have yet to see a non-pointless DLC item, so you are not really missing anything if you don't shell out, and besides I am sure there will come a day when all of them will be offered for free, so that everyone can complete their "collections" and be happy and satisfied at last.

Recap wrote:you'll only get them in volatile form...

This is basically the only problem I really have with them, and the reason I don't buy them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Sep 2008 16:29

Looks like it might be a better-than-perfect port.

Trailer 1 JP (15 MB)

http://raiden.mossjp.co.jp/raiden4/x360/04.htm

October 2.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby adrenalinq » 30 Sep 2008 08:29

icycalm wrote:The 360 is the console of choice for new shooters from now on

I have to correct: The JAPANESE 360 is the console of choice for new shooters.
Terminator in bath bend down to pick up a soap. On his display massage appeared: "Warning! New hardware detected!"
adrenalinq

Unread postby Jedah » 30 Sep 2008 09:21

I have to add:

ONLY if the games are region locked. Region locking is not necessary on the 360 and it would be a shame to lock these particular games. Even if European gamers would have to pay an arm and a leg for a copy...
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Sep 2008 13:37

Jedah wrote:ONLY if the games are region locked.

It's been almost three years since the 360 was launched and I have still not heard of a single NTSC-J game that was NOT region locked. It drives me nuts when I see people on Shmups.com and other places devoting whole pages in dozens of threads to speculating as to whether the latest Japanese 360 game will be region locked or not. I mean they all are!

By the way, the cheapest version of the 360 goes for around $200 in Japan right now, which is about the price of three new games. It's now probably cheaper to import a Japanese model than to buy a European one, and since many US and EU games are region-free, and then you can also play the Asian versions of games (most of which are in English), it really is a killer deal.

Jedah wrote:Even if European gamers would have to pay an arm and a leg for a copy...

European gamers already pay an arm and a leg to buy European games. Importing games sometimes even ends up cheaper if you know where to buy from and when. Trust me, I've been doing this for ages.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 30 Sep 2008 23:47

I was not very informed about this situation, so thank you icy for pointing that out. So we have region-free blockbusters, but region locking for the only games Western gamers are not likely to see domestically released. Insanity...

It's the pinnacle of stupidity to region-lock games that are not supposed to be published outside Japan, although they have a dedicated fanbase. Region locking is meaningless in general (PSP and DS prove this), but locking games only from a specific region is downright mysterious. I mean give us a break you small shooter making companies! If you don't have the power for a worldwide release, at least do not prohibit the compatibility of these games on Western machines! I'm pretty sure this is a decision pushed onto developers by Microsoft; it's too stupid to ignore the small but significant Western arcade-loving audience. What do they expect -- increase of Japanese 360 hardware sales from importers?
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 16 Oct 2008 15:15

Yeah, this hasn't been explained on this website yet, so I'll do it in this thread.

The idea is that small Japanese publishers may lack the power to release their Xbox 360 games worldwide, but there is always the chance that a Western publisher may decide to do it for them in the future (as happened with Senko no Ronde Rev.X, for example, which was brought to the US/EU by Ubisoft nearly a year after the Japanese release. Other examples abound: Bullet Witch/Atari, Operation Darkness/Atlus USA, Zoids Alternative/Atlus USA, etc. etc.).

By locking the Japanese versions, Japanese publishers prevent many Western gamers from importing their games (most of them, actually, since very few are willing to buy a second console), and thus make their games more attractive to Western publishers who might think of snapping them up in the future.

This is the general idea. In this particular case, however, I wouldn't worry if I was you since the chance of Raiden IV NOT coming to the West at some point is close to zero. Very few decent Japanese 360 games have not been localized, and in the very first post of this thread you can see that a Western publisher was already considering bringing it over at some point. It'll come eventually.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Captain Cab » 02 Nov 2008 01:01

^^^^

I'm not pessimistic about Raiden IV's chances of a Western release but I am still dismayed that Raiden Fighters Aces never made it to the US.

And I don't overly mind DLC as long as I don't allow myself to be scammed into buying too much of it ('cuz yeah, in the end that's what it is, a scam), and that whatever item I purchase notably improves the game's replay value (MM9's Protoman is an example of this. He has a sweet bullet reflect and makes the game even harder and he can't use the Roll shop for E tanks forcing you to collect strategically, definitely worth $2 in spite of the fact he should have been unlockable like he was in MM Powered Up). And these extra ships look nice, especially the Fairy, but where's the 'lil dragon? I'd add some more MS points for him in a heartbeat. :)

Anyways, long time Shmups forum veteran (aka Kosh_H and Dylan1CC) checking in for the first time. Found Insomnia while googling info on Rabio Lepus.
Captain Cab

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jun 2009 18:43

Port coming to the US courtesy of UFO Interactive:

http://www.ufointeractivegames.com/news.asp?gc=&nid=73
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ksevcov » 22 Dec 2013 12:07

http://gematsu.com/2013/12/raiden-iv-ca ... ystation-3

Raiden IV and Caladrius, two Moss-developed shoot ‘em ups launched for Xbox 360 in 2008 and 2013, are coming to PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 3 version of Raiden IV is called Raiden IV: Overkill, and is based on the Xbox 360 and Arcade versions, but adds a new “Overkill Mode” element. It will launch in spring 2014 as a download-only title.
ksevcov

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW Raiden IV x MIKADO remix

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Jul 2022 22:50

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2002 ... KADO_remix

MOSS wrote:Buckle up and blast off with Raiden IV x MIKADO remix! This classic arcade shoot ‘em up comes fully equipped with new music, battle modes, vertical screen play, and more!

I don't see the point of this. Unless there really are "new levels"?? And what's the "vertical screen play" about? The earlier ports already had a slew of TATE options.

Great game, don't get me wrong, but I am sceptical about this version.

This must be a pic of the "vertical screen mode". I am not sure what I am looking at.

The trailer featured on the page says "new levels" at some point, but the levels it shows aren't new. It makes it seem more like they're old levels with new patterns, which I've no interest in.

EDIT: Looks like they figured it out in the forum: https://steamcommunity.com/app/2002850/ ... 9829959350

NeoStrayCat wrote:So the only difference in Mikado Remix is...
Basically just the alternate remix tracks, right? Everything from Overkill is just basically the same? (Modes and all..) Unless there's some slight differences between the two (Since I haven't yet played any version of Raiden IV prior to the Mikado Remix version being out on other platforms.)

If anyone who has played any of the Raiden IV versions, could probably compare and list what's included and not included between versions. Cause the only thing I remember is that the DLC ships for vanilla Raiden IV were included in the base game for other versions later. Cause yeah, the only other Moss game that I know difference in changes/additions were Caladrius (Blaze).

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2002850/ ... 9831044766

StephanFS wrote:The only thing Mikado adds is a new soundtrack. Everything from Overkill is included in this release. Really not worth buying unless you really want a new soundtrack (at least on PC since Mikado was a Switch exclusive)

EDIT 2: It looks like this is already out for Switch, so the "vertical screen mode" must have been made for it, and I suppose it will also work well on Steam Deck.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games