My most valuable sources for good reviews are, in no particular order:

Steam Community
GameFAQs
NeoGAF LTTP threads
Postback
Scathing Accuracy
Victory Game Center
rllmuk review forum

I also on occasion take the odd review from the Learn to Counter forum. It's dead now, but some decent stuff did get posted there by people not named Michael Lowell nor closely associated with him.

rllmuk and Shmups.com and some other places used to have quite lively review forums back in the day, from which I would take the occasional good review, but they are both dead now. On rllmuk they have even literally deleted the review forum since no had used it in years.

Victory Game Center is a new site by an ex-Insomnia subscriber, and I will make a thread and talk about it later.

There are also a bunch of rarely updated blogs, and perhaps I'll post them later. For now I just wanted to make this thread, so that if anyone has in mind other decent sources, they can share them.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Mar 2018 12:54

Added GameFAQs, which is a fantastic source of reviews for games released roughly post-1999 but before Steam reviews became a thing. The vast majority of them are shit, as usual with crowdsourced material, but with enough skill and patience you can find real gems in there, as I've clearly been doing with the GOTY reviews I've been posting.

If you are lucky, you can occasionally find the odd good review of games from the '80s and '70s as well.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games