default header

Games

Now Playing: [GBA] Kururin Paradise

Moderator: JC Denton

Now Playing: [GBA] Kururin Paradise

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jul 2006 01:28

I am currently playing Kururin Paradise, which just so happens to be my pick for best original game on the system.

If you are in PM me your email address and I will send you the emulator and the rest of the, um, "details"--IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

(I mean the highly illegal roms)
Last edited by icycalm on 25 Jul 2006 10:38, edited 2 times in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 24 Jul 2006 09:32

Yeah, I'd love to try out some new GBA games, since my experience with this platform is limited to Castlevania and FFIV.

I've sent you a PM.
zak

Unread postby zak » 24 Jul 2006 15:38

Ok, I got Kururin Paradise and played it a little, and it's awesome.

It's got a very nice graphical style and the music fits right in to the atmosphere.
I don't know japanese so I wouldn't have known anything about what was going on there but I read your Kurukuru Kururin review, and the ideea of a duck flying a helicopter or whatever is neat, but that's still just a rotating bar to me.
Still the encounters before the minigames are pretty nice, there's a duck with a big red hat and very large coat, and another one in a dress. Don't have any ideea what they're saying though.
I also like the way Kururin nods his head to the music or get's distressed when your life is low.

The overworld map is a nice way to keep track of the levels, and you get to see it quite often (not like in Uo Poko where those crazy cats drove their submarine arround once every few levels), and I guess there's some backtracking because I found a key that oped a path that was locked in a previous level. I'll explore it later.
Also I like the fact that some levels where constructed like giant platforms and if you got close to the edges you could see clouds or houses below.

The control of that rotating bar has a preety good feel to it. The learning curve isn't worth mentioning, even if some levels took me quite a few tries to complete. I don't care about the score or time, I just want to finish it.
The minigames have been pretty stressful. The first one where you had to fly the duck through the rotating spikes reminded me of the water levels in Super Mario Bros, in a bad way (mashing a button just to stay in the air isn't one of my favorite activities). The other one where you had to bounce your bar on some springs and gather coins wasn't too great either, I got something like 40 coins out of 400 on my first try and never gave it a second thought.

So I guess I've played something like 18 levels so far (I counted the minigames too), and I'm in that town with the very steampunk feel to it (here's a screenshot). I'll play some more tonight.
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jul 2006 21:35

The story is more or less a re-run of that of the first game, so far as I can figure. A bunch of ducks have been abducted and you have to rescue them. There is a lot more dialogue here than in the first game though, so maybe there's more going on. I understand the odd phrase here or there, but not nearly enough to be able to tell more.

The minigames are a bit hit and miss for sure. I also hated the one where you bounce off the springs, but then I figured out how it works and finished it immediately. I even enjoyed it a lot once I saw how it worked. Try it again and see if you can figure it out.

I am hopelessly stuck now on the 29th stage (counting mini-games).

I also went back and explored that stage with the key. It opens up to a new road which leads to a pretty fun mini-game, but it's a dead-end at that point.

edit: do you realize the name you chose for yourself is "kuruku"?
Last edited by icycalm on 27 Jul 2006 00:23, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 24 Jul 2006 21:46

You know there are more of those keys.
Every stage where the duck's hair forms a question mark on the world map (like this) hides a key. Guess they lead to more minigames.

icycalm wrote:edit: do you realize the name you chose for yourself is "kuruku"?

What? No.

Guess I'll play this some more in the morning.
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jul 2006 10:35

Hey, I split the topic off since the other was one originally about arcade games. I figure we can start a new topic for each game we play. I am going to try and tackle the 29th stage again today. If I can't do it I'll go back and look for some keys, otherwise I am stuck.

I am thinking maybe we should start another game at the same time. I've always wanted to try Densetsu no Stafy...

Also, if you don't mind can you direct-post any images from now on? I like how they look on the page, and I hate having to click on something if I don't have to.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 25 Jul 2006 17:17

I finished the 29th stage through lots of luck and wasted hours and it lead to another minigame (which I doubt leads anywhere). Also I got a key that opened a door one level back. So the map now looks like this:

The level it opened leads to another level which I haven't finished because I'm tired.

Densetsu no Stafy sounds good. We can start it anytime you want.
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jul 2006 22:12

Jeez, now the pressure's on my to finish that damn stage.

Instead of doing that, I went back and tried to get as many stars as I could in the previous stages. I must have about 20 now, if not more. I actually find it enjoyable trying to beat a stage again without losing a single life. It gives me an opportunity to re-play the stages and see the beautiful art again. Aren't the graphics wonderful in this game? I'd say best on the GBA, and I've played at least 40-50 GBA games so far.

Anyway, Stafy is a no-go for now. I played it for a bit and, though it seems like a good game, it's not something I'd want to go into now. Too slow-paced. I'll upload the rom so you can have a look at it and tell me what you think.

More on Kururin tomorrow at some point...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 25 Jul 2006 23:18

Hey, I played some Densetsu No Stafy and it's neat, but not exactly what I'd like to play right now. There's too much japanese flying arround the screen and more background story than in Kururin, but still the goals are obvious.

I gave a new shiny shell to a crab and he was happy. That was stage 1.
I'm not gonna go into stage two now. Stafy is fun, I like how he spins and gets dizzy, or how he makes those big eyes when running. The music is nice too.

My secret source says that Stafy, in actuality, might be a star, not a starfish. He, along with his family, live up in the clouds, which is where one would most likely find a star. When he fell into sea, everyone just assumed he was a starfish because of his shape.
Wow, I fell for that one.
Well that's enough Stafy for now.

I'll try some more Kururin in the morning.
Yeah the graphics are very good, but there could have been more stuff happening in the background during the minigames. I mean normal levels have clouds, houses, ghosts... the minigames have nothing. I liked the "last" minigame where you... nevermind you'll see.

Also those ghost are fun, grabbing onto your bar and slowing it down. The rotating swords were good obstacles too, especially when there are two or three in row.
The castle levels were just disappointing, they just had some ice and moving walls. They were hard but other than that didn't have too much going on.

edit: how about playing Mega Man Zero (GBA) next?
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jul 2006 00:26

Finally cleared that stage. One thing I love about this game is that a few stages initially seem almost impossible, but if you relax and try them a few times you eventually master them, to the point where you wonder how you found them hard to begin with.

I did the mini-game too, and it was fun, though ridiculously easy.

I thought this was amusing:

Now I have rescued 5 siblings, out of 12 if I am not mistaken.

I still need to replay the last stage to get the key...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Chuplayer » 07 Aug 2006 22:10

I just played a bunch of Kururuin Paradise levels, and being that I played them all with the same piece of Slim Jim hanging out of my mouth, I've got to declare this the beefiest, spiciest game in existence. It's like Irritating Stick, but there are no public blowjobs in this game. I like how you've got to keep track of where your stick is so you don't ram it into spikes or something. And I loved that first minigame where you had to keep it up so you don't go down. I thought it was brilliant how you had to bounce your stick off of springs to make it through the maze. Sometimes you just can't stick it in there if you aren't putting it in there the right way. It's really hard. And when the game overcomes you, your stick explodes in all its glory. It's nervewracking when you've got to pull it out before you explode. Otherwise, it's http://www.babynames.com for you.

Wait a sec, I think I confused something...
Chuplayer

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Aug 2006 16:51

I am still stuck on that one stage, somewhere close to the end. I really want to finish this damn game. If I haven't done it in a week or so I might have to resort to cheating if it's possible.

I'll post a picture of the stage in question later.

And Chuplayer, you might want to consider taking a few extra-cold showers a day. Just sayin'.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Chuplayer » 10 Aug 2006 01:35

icycalm wrote:And Chuplayer, you might want to consider taking a few extra-cold showers a day. Just sayin'.

I don't like taking showers. My mom's always bitching about how the water's too hot and everything in the house that's glass is steaming up. Fuck her. Let's see who's going to survive extreme heat. Hint: It'll be me.
Chuplayer

Return to Games