default header

Games

Now Playing: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (GB Classic)

Moderator: JC Denton

Now Playing: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 (GB Classic)

Unread postby Chuplayer » 22 Aug 2006 01:04

Fixed ROM link.

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/gb/t.html

The ROM can be found here. I don't know what the differences between the US and Japanese versions are, if anything other than language. Also, the US version is only listed as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Back from the Sewers" on this site.

TMNT2: Back from the Sewers. What can't I say about this game? It shouldn't be this fun, for starters. The game is full of mindless hacking and slashing that isn't intricate at all. Most of the time, you're just on a left/right 2D plane which makes the already mundane game mechanics even more mundane. Attacking is pretty much limited to a single weapon attack. There's nothing particularly wrong with it. It's not slow. It everybody other than Donatello could use a little more range, but the combat isn't bad. It could just use a little more variety. There's also a mostly useless sliding attack that looks ridiculous.

The platforming action varies from level to level. In some, there is none. In others, there is badly implemented platforming action. However, there are a couple of parts in the game where the platforming really shines. The aerial level is phenomenal. It's not quite Sin and Punishment aircraft carrier level awesome, but it's way more awesome than it should be. This level is all about platforming. The whole level is just a bunch of flying platforms that are really small, but you can't die by falling down too far. You can only keep moving forward. Bombs drop and bullets fly. Sometimes the only way to advance is by climbing up the platforms. It's entirely badass if you're hanging down and you're kicking those mini helicopter things.

The main fixture of brawlers even makes a couple appearances here: the elevator levels. God, those piss me off. Still, these levels keep the gameplay interesting. The main gameplay change here is that you are able to move like you would in Streets of Rage. Strangely, foot soldiers seemingly only deliver high kicks in these levels.

Most of the music is very well done for a Game Boy game. They're bloopified rock tunes, but they sound as good as NES Mega Man music. There are a few stinkers. The worst song plays during the underground levels. Fortunately, most of the tunes are high energy headbangers that make you want to kick ass! And when your game mechanics are as mundane as they are in this game, you need some auroral motivation.

Enemies are mostly limited to foot soldiers. Not that that isn't to be expected, but it would've been nice to see a bit more variety than Mousers and those mini helicopters. Despite the lack of enemy variety during normal gameplay, most of the supervillains from the cartoon make appearances as boss characters. Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, Baxter the Fly, and of course Shredder.

There are some voiceovers in this game. They're just stuff like "cowabunga!" and "pizza time!" When you rescue April, I think she says something, too. I forget. I was too busy fapping to her.

This game proves that a license can make a game. If this was some run of the mill brawler, it would be boring. However, the TMNT license makes this game a fun romp. It's a riot to lay the smack down on Krang's final form. Skateboarding is so much more fun if you're a mutated turtle. "Pizza time!" just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't the rad reptiles saying it. It's an old favorite of mine.
Last edited by Chuplayer on 23 Aug 2006 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
Chuplayer

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Aug 2006 20:36

Sounds like you already beat this game. The idea behind these threads is to play the game at the same time with others, so as to enjoy it more, I guess... So it would be good if you discussed it first in the "Now Playing" thread at the top.

This is especially true since me and zak are the only ones here, so your chances of picking something that all of us would like to play without prior agreement are slightly above nil :)

Nice writeup, though. I'll give it a go tomorrow. And your link to the ROM doesn't work, but I'll probably be able to find it, I think.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Chuplayer » 23 Aug 2006 01:37

icycalm wrote:Sounds like you already beat this game. The idea behind these threads is to play the game at the same time with others, so as to enjoy it more

D'oh! Well, it wouldn't exactly be a "now playing" thing either, as I only pull it out once every year or two to have a play through. I've had it for over 13 years.

Nice writeup, though. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Woo hoo! Thanks for the props. I hope you enjoy the game. If you weren't a TMNT fan, it might not be that great, though.

And your link to the ROM doesn't work, but I'll probably be able to find it, I think.

Double d'oh! I'll try to find another link. So are the woes of having the actual cart. I've got the instruction manual somewhere, too.
Chuplayer

Unread postby zak » 23 Aug 2006 03:48

I played 5 minutes of this but it's 5:47 AM over here so I'll play some more in the afternoon and edit this posting some impressions.

Oh yeah, this is my favorite part untill now:
As you said license can make a game.
zak

Unread postby zak » 23 Aug 2006 13:43

Ok this is a new post because i went crazy with the screen capture button.

So I had a pretty good time with this. As I said earlier the license really works in favour of this game. It's more Ninja Turtles than the Ninja Turtles.

The combat is just throwing two enemies at a time from different directions at you, some of the bad guys have easily dodgeable projectile attacks. And when the game's really ambitious it might even throw four enemies at at time:

This guy (or his two other twin brothers) pulled the same trick on me three times in a row:

And this ladder just drops enemies untill you get bored:
I get it allready

Luckily pizza replenishes your life. Thank you sensei:

The second level makes you skateboard.
Without a helmet, man that's exactly the kind of thing those crazy turtles would do:

The bosses have a charge attack and a projectile attack, but to my despair the second one kicked my ass.
Oh the shame.

I stopped playing without getting to see the aerial levels (and I really wanted to!) but I'm too lazy now to give it another shot, maybe later.
Sorry for the image heavy post but I just had fun doing this.
zak

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2006 17:10

You guys make a good team, you should start a website. Chuplayer will write most of the text and zak will be doing the photo spreads, animated gifs and captions.

I'll give this a shot now. I wonder how tiny the game will look in its native res on the emulator. Pretty damn tiny I guess.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 08 Sep 2006 20:58

Anybody a fan of NES Turtles? It was pretty ugly, and incredibly frustrating, but somehow quite compelling at the same time. It had a good touch of NES Star Wars to the gameplay too, never a bad thing.
Molloy

Unread postby Chuplayer » 08 Sep 2006 21:27

Molloy wrote:Anybody a fan of NES Turtles? It was pretty ugly, and incredibly frustrating, but somehow quite compelling at the same time. It had a good touch of NES Star Wars to the gameplay too, never a bad thing.

Do you mean the first game? Yeah, I have that one. It's a really difficult game! I actually beat it without Game Genie once. Damn, that was one hell of an afternoon. It's a very interesting game, though. It's got bats and glow in the dark chainsaw men.
Chuplayer

Return to Games