default header

Games

PC|ONE Atlas

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|ONE Atlas

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Aug 2018 18:14

This is pretty incredible news. A new game from the ARK dev that basically turns Sea of Thieves into a survival/crafting MMO. The combat looks superior to ARK's (whose combat sucked), so it has that going for it. On the other hand, the ocean aesthetics look far inferior to Sea of Thieves'. And on the OTHER other hand, the character design is generic but not straight-up revolting like Sea of Thieves'.

Ultimately, what will make or break the game is the same thing that has broken every other survival MMO I've played except Rust: the max number of players. If this number is the usual <100, the game will be boring. If it's 300+, the game may have a chance, depending on how servers are set up.

Most wanted game definitely.

Atlas Trailer Leaked ~ New Project from ARK: Survival Evolved Dev
http://www.allgamesdelta.net/2018/08/at ... -from.html

Atlas Internal Trailer ~ ARK meets Sea of Thieves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAbZZKMiJuE
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2018 17:20

So it turns out that my main worry for this game that I mentioned above—server size—has been addressed, and in spectacular fashion, as this will be a persistent universe capable of hosting an incredible 40,000 to 50,000 players. Moreover, inspired by Planetary Annihilation and the wave of games with spherical maps that inimitable masterpiece has inspired, Atlas will be played on a globe of an archipelago (which is where the game's name comes from: Google it for the history lesson) filled with all sorts of land masses to explore, build up, and fight over. And you'll be able to zoom out to planet level on the official website and see the borders of your clan as you compete with other clans for territory! And there will be recruitable NPCs on top of the tens of thousands of players for a truly living world! And there will be aging and procreation, so that when your character gets old and dies, his son will continue his legacy! And God himself will descend from the heavens and say, "Might as well wrap up the videogame industry at this point, since the best game ever has arrived".

Yes, I know how ridiculously unreal all this sounds, but here it is. And it's about to drop in a mere couple of days (the 19th). In the Insomnia Discord [ > ] I have posted a small book's worth of commentary on the game that I won't bother repeating here (so head on over there and search for "Atlas", if you want the details), and several other CULT players are excited about the game too, so that's what we'll be playing the very nanosecond the game drops on Steam on the 19th, and hopefully—as long as it's ANYwhere near as good as it sounds—for many weeks and months after. And everyone is welcome to join us on this grand adventure for the very low special end-of-year holiday clearance sales price of $1/month on Patreon to support the clan's activities: https://www.patreon.com/icycalm

Official site: https://www.playatlas.com/

Don't miss the slick countdown timer!

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/

Grapeshot Games wrote:ATLAS: The ultimate survival MMO of unprecedented scale with 40,000+ simultaneous players in the same world. Join an endless adventure of piracy & sailing, exploration & combat, roleplaying & progression, settlement & civilization-building, in one of the largest game worlds ever! Explore, Build, Conquer!

The trailer is much the same that was leaked some months ago and is linked above, but here's an official link for it now:

Official Reveal Trailer | The Game Awards 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR6OTD21w4g

There's still stuff in the old version that's not in the new, and vice versa, though, so scroll up and check the old one too after you've watched this. It's worth it.

Hope to see you exploring, building and fighting alongside me on the 19th, otherwise be sure to catch my stream, because it'll be epic! (I'll probably be streaming for 15 hours straight or something.)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jan 2019 05:41

Quick impressions after an eight-hour session with recoil, Some guy and ysignal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rMvB2I9B7Y

The game is good. It is better than ARK and at least a 4/5. In some respects, it is better than even LiF (though in others, it is worse).

The combat is better than ARK's and LiF's, and almost as good as Rust's. The leveling system is deep, and the building system is smooth and robust. The sailing experience is incredible. Just being on a ship with your friends manning different posts and trying to navigate all the dangers of the full-blown no-holds-barred PVP while plotting a course to who knows where... it's an unmissable experience. If you only do a few hours of this you will have more than got your money's worth out of this game, and that's why I say it's at least a 4/5 despite having barely seen anything more than this.

Ultimately, whether the game has staying power will depend on how the conquest system is set up, and I have to say that from initial reports things don't look good in this respect. But even if all I ever manage to get out of this game is today's session, it will have been more than worth it. Skip to the two sailing segments in our stream to see what I am talking about (the first one featuring battle between our tiny ship against three giant galleons, and the second featuring a small two-ship fleet of our own that finally made landfall and led to the establishment of a base), or better yet jump in the game yourselves with us or with your friends and experience what I am talking about first-hand.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jul 2020 03:26

Ask A Pirate Day. Q&A With the Devs
https://steamcommunity.com/games/834910 ... 4843558747

Not much there. The meat of it is:

Grapeshot Games wrote:the new content that will be released in the coming months, like Trade Winds, Farms, Warehouses, 'n more!

Also this:

Grapeshot Games wrote:Question: So, I believe that this is the first time that you've acknowledged "seasons". Are you guys considering regular wipes to ATLAS pvp? in many hardcore pvpers opinions, there should be to keep the game fresh. It seems to drop off about 3-4 months in. Or maybe a server for it to test?

Answer: We agree that it's important for the health of a survival game to have energetic competition over resources, but we want to have our cake and eat it too. So, we are looking for ways to keep these struggles fresh without completely tossing out player progress. We think that coming at it from both sides and wiping when necessary while at the same time helping players hold on to their progress will lead to a vibrant environment of continuous conflict without stagnation.

Good question, vague non-answer.

And a cool player ship:

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jul 2020 04:08

This is what the map looked like in January 2019 when we played the game for a bit:

Picture from this video:

Atlas with recoil and The Cult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rMvB2I9B7Y

It's tragic what they did to the game. Now the entire map is revealed straight from the start. And it's still the best game ever. It was twice as good before tho.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 11 Jul 2020 07:46

Fucking hell! That explains why there's a huge fanfare about landing on a new island too: "You discovered So-and-so Island". Well no I didn't, I can see every island on the map so I didn't discover shit!
ChevRage

Unread postby Archonus » 21 Oct 2020 10:30

Captain's Log #41: A New Direction and Trade System + Ramming Ship Tease
https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/at ... ease-r326/

The dev team have announced that they will be releasing new content at a higher frequency from now on. They're already working on a new Trade System and have teased the first of gold-purchasable ships, the Ramming Ship!

Archonus

Unread postby Archonus » 24 Oct 2020 11:03

Patch Preview: Setting up the Sea Forts!
https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/at ... orts-r329/

News about the next patch. The devs talk about the new Trade System and show off a new type of island that players can capture to control trade routes called Sea Forts.

And they finally address wipes!

Grapeshot Games wrote:Many players were also concerned upon hearing about “more wipes.” This doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s going to suddenly be wipes left and right, only that instead of hesitating to wipe or waiting until a new “season,” we will perform the wipe if a situation calls for it. However, it does mean that a wipe can happen at any time, but only when necessary. We're going to do our best to minimize the possibility, but the possibility is always there. We'll announce wipes when we're sure, although how much of a heads up we can give is going to depend on the situation.

Understandably, many of you were also anticipating a wipe after hearing this news. This next patch will NOT include a wipe. However, as we continue to implement the Trade System, a wipe will be a necessary part of the process. We do not have a date for this yet, and will make an announcement once we do. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
Archonus

Unread postby Archonus » 21 Nov 2020 13:56

Patch V515.17 - Armored Docks, Trade System and Barrel Updates
https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/at ... ates-r350/

Now this is interesting, they're letting players build defensive docks for ships now. We used to have to do this ourselves by encasing the normal docks with large stone walls.

Grapeshot Games wrote:As a survival sandbox, the gameplay surrounding the risk of losing your stuff is part of the appeal. However, there is a balance to it and we recognize the need to introduce some elements to help with survivability. One of the first things we’ll be introducing are Armored Docks, as seen in the preview image, to protect your hard earned ships!

With tonight’s update, players will be able to build the first one - the Large Armored Dock, which can be found in the Seamanship Tree under the Expert Shipwright skill. For 1200 Alloy, 1800 Fiber, 6000 Stone, 2000 Thatch, and 2500 Wood and a daily upkeep cost, players will be able to build a Large Armored Dock to park and protect their ship in this 300,000 hp Armored Structure.

But the huge news is the barrel bomb nerf. Barrel bombs can no longer be shot out of cannons, which means cannons on carts drawn by horses and bears. They can still be shot out of catapults. And they also need 80 gold to craft.
Archonus

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jun 2021 00:32

New ship added in latest update.

Patch 526.08 - Customization Update
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 0305426823

We’re finally bringing out the big guns with the Mortarship. With front and rear mortar cannons that deliver swift death from a distance, this ship is a game changer and will make sieging pesky land installments a breeze. Careful though, most ships are too mobile for these mortars so you’ll need to strategize some security for your new weaponry, or you may find your hopes for victory, and your Mortarship, sunk.

This ship and all the other pre-made variants will now be buildable with the new advanced shipyard with new crafting requirements to come.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jun 2021 00:40

This game delivered some of the top 3 best gaming moments of my life, easily. I would happily play another wipe if we ever get the chance.

Note that there’s no way to make an Uberatlas out of it, just as you can’t make an Uberlif. UberFP4X doesn’t work because these games need dozens of servers linked together and thousands of players. Both of them distribute their server software, so you can set up a couple of servers if you want, but you don’t have the money and players to set up 100+ of them, and without those the magic of those games dies. What would you do with just one or two Atlas islands? The joy of multi-hour open ocean journeys will be gone, the joy of exploring remote islands, the joy of lengthy and elaborate missions, etc. It’d be depressing to go back and forth between two or three islands. You may as well play Rust at that point.

This is going to get even worse with Starbase, of course.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Archonus » 21 Oct 2021 17:27

Atlas will be wiping into its 6th Season on the 27th of October. No exact time has been given as of yet.

https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/at ... gins-r479/

The link is to a journal entry that the Atlas devs seem to be using as the format for introducing new updates to the game from now on. I just skimmed through most of it, it doesn't seem to have much important information aside from the pictures of monuments that will be added to the game. Nothing about what the monuments actually do, just stuff about "Watching the pirates I notice that they are carrying large chunks of stone and wood around another huge boulder", so maybe these monuments will require those resources to function. They're being really cagey about the details.

I have a small group of friends that will want to play on the wipe and you guys are of course invited. They're the same guys that joined us a little into our first wipe. I know you're super busy icy but it would be awesome if you played with us at least on wipe day. Robomoo is already a part of our Discord and I'll post the link to it in the Atlas channel of the Insomnia Discord.

There have been many important changes to the game since the last time we played. Here's a link to the last major update on the 28th of April: https://www.playatlas.com/index.php?/at ... date-r413/

There are Tradewinds now, permanent one-way routes of fast winds around the map that boost your ship along, so getting around the world is a bit easier. There are also new creatures that can be tamed like dolphins, crocodiles, seahorses and even our old friends the yetis!

But the craziest shit is that giant crabs, those horrifying monstrosities that can jump extremely high and far and can grab tames and players with their claws can now wear platform saddles, which allows for the installation of cannons on their backs.

Elephants and grand tortugars can as well, but it's the crabs that are extremely dangerous because of how mobile they are. Our group had a 3-hour long fight with Pirate Law, a very strong clan that didn't take too kindly to me telling their leader to go fuck themselves when they demanded that we tell them where one of our allies are, and they had a platform crab. It was a glorious battle but we inevitably lost, and I'm kicking myself for not recording or streaming because I don't have enough space for a recording and I was afraid of getting stream sniped.

There are more updates in the link, like new additions to a modular ship system, so check it out. Hope you guys will join us!
Archonus

Re: PC|ONE Atlas

Unread postby Archonus » 27 Oct 2021 01:06

The wipe will be coming with a massive update covered in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krOb7pXNdD8
Archonus

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Oct 2021 12:07

Sea of Wonders Trailer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oLKlfXdSq0s

Holy moly! Why oh why didn’t they release this trailer before the wipe?? I’d be playing now. I’m playing next wipe.

One thing I don’t get: does the new map have continents? The island-only style is one of the game’s biggest issues.

Edit: They did release it four days ago, it’s just that YT suggested it to me now. But the devs didn’t link it anywhere that I could see...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Archonus » 31 Oct 2021 16:28

Nah, no continents. That would be sick, and it's what they should be doing if they're going to be calling the regions "South America" and "Africa", but they're just islands with a common climate like tropical and desert for SA and Africa. They divided the huge map from previous seasons into these new regions, and the only way to travel between them is to use portals. I really don't like this change, I want it to be one huge map.
Archonus

Unread postby ChevRage » 31 Oct 2021 18:27

Yeah, I agree with Archonus. I think the video made the islands seem bigger than they are or something since the map is still made up of small islands. No actual "charting" either, as far as I'm aware.

The worst part is that each region still has the wrapping effect; you would turn up on the east side of the same region if you sail too far west for example. The only way to travel between regions is to use the portals.
ChevRage

Return to Games