default header

Games

[AC] [MD] The Punisher (1993)

Moderator: JC Denton

[AC] [MD] The Punisher (1993)

Unread postby zak » 30 Aug 2006 13:25

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/ac/thepunisher/review.php

Great review man.

Given that Western comics were never popular in Japan, I find it amusing that a bunch of Japanese guys could treat a Marvel licence so well

Yeah, this game may very well be the ultimate Punisher incarnation. I hear the movie kinda sucked, and the game they made after it sucked too. Well that's because most producers have no fucking ideea how to treat a comic book license.

The Punisher probably is the meanest motherfucker in the world. I mean if you were worried that you might be that person now you can rest assured that you're maybe the second meanest motherfucker in the world. The Punisher is number one.

And the game treats him like the meanest motherfucker. When you die and respawn he drops down from the sky, glowing and knocking everything on screen on it's ass. Like some sort of divine wrath.

And everyone loves The Punisher because he fights crime and keeps our streets safe.

Your average bus driving Joe loves him and gives him the thumbs up.

Supermodels love him because he rescues them from druglords mansions (who the hell has cells in his lobby anyway).

The scenery ain't much but some levels are more memorable than others.
Notice the shark tank. If you want to conquer the world you need a shark tank ok?

And he is the ultimate fighting machine. He doesn't have superpowers, superweapons, he has SUPERANGER!
This guy's arms morph into cannons (move over Suda51's Heroes for the Wii, it's been done) and still The Punisher will kick his ass because he's one angry dude (and setting him on fire will only make him more ANGRY!)

The only problem is this guy can't hold a sword right. I mean look at this:
Look? Is that a correct stance? I mean this game is made by the japanese, you'd think they'd know a little kendo! Or maybe that's their way of saying americans are dumb.

With proper kendo training The Punisher could become the most powerfull force in the galaxy. The entire game is just one nonstop ride of wanton distruction.
Great review man, it made me want to play this and I wasn't dissapointed.
zak

Re: [AC] The Punisher

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2006 17:41

zak wrote:And the game treats him like the meanest motherfucker. When you die and respawn he drops down from the sky, glowing and knocking everything on screen on it's ass. Like some sort of divine wrath.

I could have used that quote in the review!

Nice screenshot commentary, by the way. I am sure whoever visits the forum after reading the review will enjoy it.

As for the Punisher movies, do you realize there are two of them? The first one was filmed in the early 90s if I am not mistaken, starring Dolph Lundgren. It is actually quite enjoyable.

The recent one with Thomas Jane is much worse, but it still does a couple of things right, and is worth a rent.

Now all we need is for Sam Reimi to come in and show everyone how it's done.

As you said, this might very well be the best Punisher game (it might also be the first one), but I haven't played any of the other ones. In fact, a list of all the Punisher games would be useful, as I could start slowly tracking them down and reviewing them.

I wonder if the latest one on PS2 was any good. I hear it sold very well and they are making another one...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby zak » 30 Aug 2006 20:44

I haven't seen any of the movies, but I'm affraid the last one is just your average (bad) hollywood adaptation of a comic book.

Let me help you with tracking down the games.
There's a Gameboy Punisher game but it's just some first person horizontal scroll-shooting.

I accidentally stumbled upon this arcade version's SEGA Genesis counter-part. You might want to take a look at it since it's the same thing only stripped down and made worse.

Also there's one on the NES and from what I've read it's a lightgun shooter.
You're on your own with the PS2 game.

wikipedia wrote:The Punisher computer game for the Amiga and PC [2] featured three different modes of gameplay: driving the Punisher's "Battle Van", gunplay on foot, and scuba diving.

I'll look into this too.

I've sent you a PM.
zak

Unread postby Chuplayer » 30 Aug 2006 23:05

zak wrote:Also there's one on the NES and from what I've read it's a lightgun shooter.

It's times like this that make me pissed off at EB/Funco/Gamestop for not carrying NES games anymore.
Chuplayer

Unread postby icycalm » 31 Aug 2006 11:22

I had no idea there was a Mega Drive port for this. I was fairly certain this was arcade-only... and I thought I knew about every Mega Drive game ever released...

Have to check the others though. Especially the Amiga one.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Macaw » 28 Oct 2006 12:07

Great review, this is also one of my favourite beat-em-ups.

It is, however, possible to throw a grenade without first having jumped. I forget how to do it, but the Punisher throws a grenade forwards then ducks for cover. Another thing in the game, which is one of the most useful tactics, is the throw combo's. While doing a normal combo, you hold downwards and at the end of the combo the punisher will throw the enemy forwards. If you hold up during it, he will throw them backwards. This mechanic first appeared in Tenchi Wo Kurau 2, where is was absolutley vital if you were trying to acheive a 1cc.

Speaking of Tenchi Wo Kurau 2, did anyone ever know that its possible to do a Zangeif style Spinning Piledriver in it? It can only be done by Zhang Fei (yellow shirt dude), and its done by doing a 360degree rotation then attack, just like Zangeif. Also its not possible to do it while grappling someone. The way I usualy do it is by first hitting an enemy with a single punch to stun them, then quickly do that 360+attack to land the piledriver.

Its probably the most complex move in a beat-em-up, with the exeption of the IGS games like Knights of Valour 1 & 2 that have full street fighter esque moves and combo's. If more people knew about stuff like this then maybe the genre wouldnt be seen as button mashers with no depth or technical play. I've seen heaps of Japanese superplays for games such as Tenchi wo Kurau 2, Battle Circuit and D&D Shadow Over Mystara which impressed me so much that I actualy started seriously playing beat-em-ups for 1cc and highscores, rather than just then just credit feeding them with a bunch of friends.
Macaw

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Oct 2006 05:05

Hi, welcome to the forum. Next time you play The Punisher try to find out exactly how to throw a grenade without jumping, and let me know. I'll edit the review if what you say is correct.

As for the two throw combos, I use them a lot, though I was never quite sure if I could choose between them or if the game chose them depending on the situation. I'll use your advice them next time I play the game. There are a couple of large arcades in Akihabara -- Leisure Land and Hey -- which have it at the moment. I plan to go there and make some videos to add to the review when I find the time.

The other beat 'em ups you mention are all cool games, but you know, there is a basic reason why this genre is not very technical. It's because of the perspective, and the fact that the up and down directions on the stick are reserved for walking.

Technical beat 'em ups are possible, and a few have been made, but they all feel relatively awkward compared to single-plane beat 'em ups and fighting games. I still love them of course.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Macaw » 29 Oct 2006 06:33

There are arcades in japan that still have games this old and of this genre!? Thats pretty interesting to know.

Anyways I figured out how to do the grenade throw. You just press attack and punch together while on the ground, just like to do the desperation moves, except if you do it when you are on 0 health you throw a grenade forwards. So its sort of a last resort after desperation attacks if you have no health left. Its pretty useless, it would have been better if they gave you the choice to normally throw a grenade forwards.

Also there is a ridiculously detailed guide here that even has stage maps and everything. http://www4.plala.or.jp/to-u/punisher/p-index.html
Macaw

Unread postby tenno » 01 Nov 2006 19:15

the ps2 and xbox version that came out this year is actually pretty good, it';s more a 3rd person action shooter (like Mercenaries) than a beat-em up, but you get the option to turture your enemies to get vital ammo and health back. In fact it's very necessary to do so. I played it for a bit and loved it.
tenno

Return to Games