default header

Games

PC Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

Moderator: JC Denton

PC Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Dec 2018 16:25

Colony Ship (previously titled "The New World") is the next game of the Age of Decadence dev, which means it's one to watch very closely.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6484 ... ying_Game/

Iron Tower Studio wrote:Colony Ship is a turn-based, party-based role-playing game set aboard a generation ship launched to Proxima Centauri. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, multiple ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and branching dialogue trees.

Concept Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yJ3e0oGQOo

The premise sounds riveting.

Iron Tower Studio wrote:Colony Ship is an isometric, party-based RPG inspired by Heinlein’s Orphans of the Sky. Your character's world is a “generation ship,” a massive spacecraft on a centuries long voyage to colonize a distant planet. The Ship's original government has been disbanded following a violent mutiny and you must negotiate a treacherous path among your fellow passengers and the contentious factions striving to dominate the Ship. Your choices alone will determine who your friends and enemies are.

And this guy can deliver. He is even improving the art direction from his last game, which was one of AoD's major issues.

Put it on your watchlists for sure.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jul 2021 00:43

Get a load of this:

Read Before Buying
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app ... 4028263845

Iron Tower Studio wrote:Colony Ship is a challenging game -- the game's setting and theme wouldn't work otherwise, and we think that, in the long run, players find challenging combat more rewarding than easy combat. Because some players have found combat too hard, however, this post is meant to (1) give fair warning of the game's difficulty; (2) explain our design philosophy; and (3) provide some tips for how to approach combat.

Combat is difficult. You’ll be outnumbered and outgunned, so you’ll have to figure out how to even the odds or avoid fights you can't win. If that's not your idea of having a good time, you should either make a non-combat character or find another game.

Instead of making combat easy, or offering difficulty modes, we have created alternative paths that offer robust, non-combat gameplay: diplomacy, stealth, and science skills. In fact, creating a diplomacy-and-science character is effectively a "Story mode," since you will still be able to explore the world, wheel and deal with factions, and complete the major areas of the game. But if you want to roleplay a fighter in a gritty, deadly world, you'll need to understand and to some extent master the combat system.

Never heard of such an approach to difficulty. Revolutionary stuff.

That said, he makes it sound as if non-combat paths are easier than combat ones. There's no reason why this should be so. If it takes 20 retries to win a battle, why shouldn't it take 20 retries to successfully navigate a non-combat path? Otherwise the game is lopsided. So he needs to do some more thinking here, because even though it sounds like he's got the best non-combat mechanics ever, he's still shortchanging that aspect compared to the combat.

Can't wait to give the game a try. It's still very Early Access, so all I want to do is play a couple hours to see what's up, and then shelve it until 1.0.
icycalm
Hyperborean

★★★★★ Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game (2021, PC)

Unread postby Insomnia » 05 Jul 2021 19:57

Insomnia review (5/5): https://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=7461

Insomnia wrote:As a veteran infantry soldier I realize that REAL combat is stupidly deadly, and that games really DON'T do that justice. This one does.
Insomnia

Re: PC Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Nov 2021 23:35

The lead dev is mocking Steam's awards. He wants you to nominate the game for the "Sit Back and Relax" award. I clicked on it. First time I've done it. He uses "fuck" twice in a Steam update lol.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/648410 ... 0914385548

Iron Tower Studio wrote:Why don't you just sit back and relax?

It wasn't easy to pick the best category as the game easily qualifies for them all, even VR, but it's an undeniable fact that most people play it to relax and unwind after a hard day of work. After all, what do your enemies have that you don't? Sure, they outnumber you five to one, and they're armed to the teeth when all you've got is moxie and a pipe gun, but ... what, you're dead already? Ok, reload.

Yeah, courage, determination, that's what wins fights! Hmm, dead again... That was fast. Up and at 'em, I say! Show them what you're made of! If Keanu can do it, so can you! Death screen again? What in the fucking fuck?

Five against one, how is it even fair? You know what, I need a new character. And guns, lots of guns. And a cool name like Revenger or Terrorizer...

"Terrorizer lies motionless, still living but only barely, as the digestive enzymes that have been pumped down his throat do their agonizing work. Death is too long in coming, and the slurry left of his body can hardly even be called a corpse."

Seriously? This is how you gonna do me? Oh it's on! It's fucking on now. Never been so 'relaxed' in my life!

icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games