default header

Games

[PC] [MAC] Deep Sky Derelicts

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] [MAC] Deep Sky Derelicts

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Dec 2018 14:20

Everyone is describing this as "Darkest Dungeon in space", and this is what it looks like to me too. With cards. And an even more distinct art style. The sci-fi setting is already a rarity in the genre, and the card mechanics are just as rare, so this is definitely a game that's trying to stand out from the crowd, and it looks like it's succeeding. It was officially released in September, but had been out in Early Access for some time before that, so now the game is complete and those who'd been holding off until it was completed can jump in.

The only thing I don't like from my cursory look of the game is the enemy designs. They are very basic and could have used more inspiration. A lot more, actually. At least most of the character designs are strong. I wonder if different people made them, or just someone who was good at drawing people but not robots? (Which, once more, is rare: usually it's the other way around, as there is nothing harder in art to represent well than people.)

Everything else looks good so far, and I am preparing a review, so we should have a full analysis available soon. Until then, check the info and media on the Steam page below.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/6986 ... Derelicts/

Snowhound Games wrote:Deep Sky Derelicts is an original combination of turn-based strategy and RPG, enriched with tactical card combat and popular roguelike elements. Explore derelict alien ships, fight, loot and upgrade your gear, all in distinctive retro-futuristic comic book aesthetic style.

Official Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbeXmfH8Lm0
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 15 Dec 2018 19:33

My 45-minute stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349434727

I played for two hours but the rest of the stream was cut in smaller pieces for some reason, so we only kept the first part. So here are my impressions:

The game has a very cool atmosphere and the visuals and music/sound effects are overall good. Some of the character and enemy designs aren't great but otherwise it is aesthetically solid and I felt drawn in to the game. I'd say that Darkest Dungeon still has a superior atmosphere due to better art direction overall along with better sound design but I did really like Deep Sky Derelict's comic book style look.

Mechanically I'd say the main differences between the two are that DSD has more character customization whereas DD has a town/base you can upgrade which DSD lacks. In DD characters' weapons and armor just get upgraded to do more damage or increase your health and they can equip two extra items but in DSD you can equip different weapons and tools which each have their own cards you use in battle plus each piece of equipment can have two mods equipped, adding in even more options during battle. Characters also have more skills you can upgrade as well so the combat and upgrade systems are more complex in DSD compared to DD.

At the moment DSD feels easier than DD as characters don't immediately die once they reach zero health and managing your energy to move around derelict ships felt less tense than managing stress in DD but I'm only two hours in so it might get as hard or even harder than DD.

So far this is definitely a 4/5, maybe even a 5/5 game.
Some guy

Return to Games