default header

Games

PC|PS5|PS4 Tribes of Midgard

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|PS5|PS4 Tribes of Midgard

Unread postby Dead Man Talking » 29 Jul 2019 16:54

10-player survival-crafting game with an unusual overhead perspective for the genre, and a cool cell-shaded artstyle and Nordic theme. Check out both trailers, it looks pretty neat.

https://www.tribesofmidgard.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8588 ... f_Midgard/

Norsfell wrote:Tribes of Midgard is a new cooperative survival game in which players must resist the oncoming invasion of Giants during Ragnarök. Set in procedurally generated worlds full of dark creatures, hidden gods and abundant materials to be uncovered, you play as a Viking living in a village that houses the Seed of Yggdrasil; the last bastion that protects the Gods from the other Realms.

You’ll need to explore the wilderness to craft new weapons and be prepared to defend the sacred center of your village from the grim shadows from Helheim that prey upon its power. All the while, a Giant of Jotunheim stalks ever closer to your village, seeking to destroy Midgard and fulfill the prophecy of the end of the world.

FEATURES

10 Player Co-Op Survival

Form a tribe, from 1 to 10 players, and survive together as long as you can.

Explore Procedural Lands

Discover procedurally generated worlds filled with secrets and surprises.

Craft Legendary Equipment

Use your gathered materials to forge new equipment and reinforce your village.

Defend Your Home At Night

Work together to stop the legions of Hel from invading your village at nightfall.

Fight Together In The Wild

Face a variety of enemies while exploring the world and loot them for rewards.

Stop The Giants To Prevent Ragnarök

Engage menacing Giants and defeat them before they destroy the Seed of Yggdrasil.

Closed Alpha Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cac6YrI8bF8

Open Beta Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU4Wh5tiEq4

TBA 2019.
Last edited by Dead Man Talking on 30 Jul 2019 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dead Man Talking
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jul 2019 17:20

I am in day 1, and hopefully I can find nine more people to join me!

Notice that the PVE aspect is very well developed, to the point where it could be classed as a downright tower defense game in the vein of They Are Billions, so it shouldn't suffer from the typical survival-crafting issue inherited from Minecraft that you have no goal to work towards beyond random building for no reason. Having said that, the details I've seen so far make it seem as if you're not actually building your village from scratch but just strengthening it, which is a letdown. Also, though the Steam page says "multiplayer", it doesn't seem like there's PVP. So it's more like a 10-player action version of TAB than an overhead Rust; or more accurately, something in-between. Some more details can be gleaned from this blog post:

https://www.pcgamer.com/co-op-viking-su ... s-weekend/

Andy Chalk wrote:During the day you'll explore a procedurally generated game world, battle all sorts of mystical creatures, collect resources, and craft powerful equipment to use against the Giants; at night, you must defend your village from the invading Legions of Hel, who seek the Seed's power for their own ends.

Each day you survive, you and your people will grow stronger as you craft new equipment and strengthen Yggdrasil with the souls of your enemies. But make no mistake: One way or another, your doom is at hand. "Ragnarök is inevitable," developer Norsfell said. "But fight fiercely and die a glorious death to ensure the tribe’s brave souls arrive at the gates of Valhalla."

Whatever it is exactly, it's worth trying for sure.
icycalm
Hyperborean

CULT LIVE: Tribes of Midgard

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Aug 2021 21:33

This came out last month, and we actually played a few hours of a beta in 7P back in 2019.

7-player Tribes of Midgard BETA with icycalm and The Cult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlh61DZa1a8

I didn't write impressions back then, so here they are now.

I liked the game. It's 10-player Diablo with some crafting and building, and a pretty cell-shaded Viking aesthetic. What's not to like? It sounds awesome. Problem is the building system was too simplistic, and the "waves" of attackers to our fort were lame: just a single stream of a single creature that could be easily repelled. The fights outside the fort however, were rather cool, though still plagued by the typical diablolike problem where the screen is too zoomed in to coordinate fights with a bunch of players and enemies. It's okay for 2P and 3P maybe, but when it gets to 6P in games like Path of Exile, let alone this game's 10P, it means half the players are outside your screen, so you can't really deploy too complex tactics.

It's still a riot to play this type of game with a bunch of people though. And the devs have had nearly two years to add stuff, so I am hopeful that the building will be at least a bit more complex, and I am CERTAIN the waves attacking your fort will be more complex too. I've seen recent trailers, and there's a whole lot of new shit in the game than what we saw. I think at the very least it will be a pleasant evening if we can get say 5+ people to play. I'd be thrilled if we could get 7 like last time, and ecstatic if we could get 10. Though to be honest, I doubt 10 is the optimal given the viewpoint restrictions. Probably 5-7 is optimal. But ultimately I don't have a clue. Note also that, back in beta at least, the difficulty was linked to the number of players, and you could choose say the 10-player difficulty even if you just have say 5 players. So who knows how they balanced their difficulties: maybe at 10P it's easy, and at 5P in 10P mode it's a good challenge.

Bottom line is I'd like to give the game another shot, and it can be had for a measly 10 euros on G2A, so I am grabbing a copy as soon as I've made this post: https://www.g2a.com/search?query=tribes%20of%20midgard

Then I'll make a thread in the Online forum, and we can see how many people would be interested in doing a run sometime soon.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 19 Aug 2021 21:49

It just occurred to me that 10P might be the optimal, because you're supposed to defend your fort at the same time as you send out war parties. So maybe you're not supposed to have all your players roaming around. And hey, you could always split in two-three groups and explore in various directions simultaneously. So you shouldn't really think in the linear diablolike sense, where the entire party is supposed to be going down a corridor for the entirety of the game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games