default header

Games

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW|LUNA Ghostrunner

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW|LUNA Ghostrunner

Unread postby Dead Man Talking » 31 Oct 2019 00:07

Cyberpunk-themed Dishonored crossed with Mirror's Edge. Seriously, don't miss the videos below, this game is super-promising. The devs made God's Trigger [ > ] before, which was an overhead 2.5D game, so they're moving up in the world. Most wanted game for sure.

Official Reveal Trailer 2019 | (PC, PS4, XBOX): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdwr3oTTpvk

Official Gameplay | (PC, PS4, XBOX): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fwmb5kvkOs

https://ghostrunnergame.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139900/Ghostrunner/

One More Level wrote:Image

Enter an intense cyberpunk world and experience fierce, dynamic combat! Conquer your enemies in the physical world and in cyberspace. Hunt for answers in humanity’s last remaining shelter.

Ascend humanity’s last remaining shelter, a great tower-city. The tower is torn by violence, poverty, and chaos. Conquer your enemies, discover the secrets of the superstructure and your own origin and obtain the power to challenge The Keymaster.

The game takes place in the future, after a global cataclysm where the remains of humanity live in a tower built by The Architect, who died mysteriously years ago. Everyone knows the truth, no one says it aloud.

The world ruled by The Keymaster is harsh. A person’s worth depends on the category of implants they have, defining their whole lives. The implants—given to them in childhood—determine which social group a person belongs to. If you weren’t lucky enough to get a good life, there is nothing you can do.

It's no surprise that a rebellion starts.

You are a cyber-warrior, the only one capable of fighting both in the physical world and in cyberspace. Lost and hunted, thrown into the middle of the conflict, you must use this bond with technology to ascend the tower.

As you climb higher, secrets are revealed. The clock starts ticking on a race to uncover the mystery behind the structure that houses humanity’s last hope. Solve the riddle or be killed—there is no other option.

TBA 2020.
Dead Man Talking
Insomnia Staff

Ghostrunner impressions

Unread postby Robomoo » 06 Sep 2021 03:39

The game is best described as cyberpunk Mirror's Edge with a bit of combat. The levels are linear, and the main focus is on the parkour/platforming. There's a generic sci-fi story going on in the background, but you can't make any choices that affect it. You die in one hit, so the game is more about trying the same section over and over again, sometimes with very precise timing, until you can do it perfectly, rather than improvising solutions.

The parkour is good. It feels fast and the controls are nice and smooth, once you get the hang of them at least. Flying through the air dodging bullets and then landing on a guy and chopping him in half is really fun, even when you have to repeat it exactly the same 30 times in a row. I do wish, though, that you had a few more moves. Here you basically just have wall run, slide, dash, and a grappling hook to pre-determined points. Mirror's Edge also had vaulting, swinging, vertical wall runs, balance beams and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting, and that game wasn't even sci-fi. What's there is fun but they could have added a lot more.

Combat really feels like another platforming challenge with some added pressure, rather than a fight. Since you die in one hit, and most enemies don't move, a combat encounter is basically just figuring out the optimal way to move through the environment and kill everything, and then trying again and again until you get it right. If you hide behind a box, you can wait there as long as you like to figure out your next move. There are a couple of special moves you unlock which kill enemies from a bit further away, but they have a very long cooldown so you can only really use one per encounter, and they end up feeling more like 'get out of jail free cards' in case you find one section too difficult, rather than proper weapons you would use on the fly. Most of the time I forgot they existed.

Just to drive home the fact that the game is not about combat, the final boss of the game isn't even a boss, it's just an extra-difficult platforming section with no enemies.

The environments all look good, but none are particularly memorable, and something about the way everything is composed of these very large, sometimes nonsensical platforms makes them start to feel like they're not really real places, just testbeds made by a game designer. By the end of the game (about 8 hours), I was pretty sick of being in them.

I definitely recommend using mouse + keyboard. To do certain moves you need to flick your mouse around quite precisely and I have no idea how you'd do it with a controller. Low framerate also makes the game a lot harder - I had to stop streaming and lower the graphics a bit just to make combat playable (I have a GTX 970).

Overall, I'd give it 3/5: an enjoyable 8 hours if you like the cyberpunk setting or want some fast-paced action and have already played DOOM Eternal. Worth it at the 60% off it's on right now.
Robomoo

Re: PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW|LUNA Ghostrunner

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Sep 2021 04:10

I knew it would be a platformer with zero immersion from the trailers. What a waste of cool technology. Imagine a proper Deus Ex, or even Doom, with these moves.

Still, I can well see it being fun for its eight hours. Thanks for the breakdown. It's basically a full review. I'll post it in the review section when we get to this game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games