default header

Games

[PC] Quantum League

Moderator: JC Denton

[PC] Quantum League

Unread postby Insomnia » 24 Jul 2020 09:52

Insomnia review (3/5): https://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=7239

Insomnia wrote:Holy shit you guys. I finally found a team that won't let me down.
Insomnia

Unread postby ChevRage » 01 Aug 2020 18:23

My stream, where we mainly played 30 seconds of the 1v1 mode:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/697256175

Beakman's stream, with some 2v2 matchmaking in the last half:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/697255464

So I've played about an hour or so of this game with Beakman and Some guy, and just from what I've played the reviews mostly seem on point. There's just one thing I'd like to point out that I wouldn't immediately agree with, but that might be partially because I haven't played enough, and partially because the majority of my time was spent in custom matches where we doubled the time limit. This felt like a huge difference at the time, since so much more can happen over the course of a single match. I don't get the impression any of the people who wrote these reviews have tried the custom matches.

Dareitus wrote:I was having a great time with this game in the 1v1 Newcomers hopper but as soon as I made my way into Casual/Ranked the horrible balance issue raised its ugly head. Health pickups revive you from the dead. These healthpacks ARE the game, with controlling them becoming so viable that it is a very strong strategy to completely ignore your enemy and just charge healthpacks. If you die, who cares, you just come back to life on the healthpack. More importantly, if the enemy can't get to that pack from their spawn faster than you did, this revive is now IMPOSSIBLE to counter. The ghost will always get the pack, and always come back to life.

See here, the 15 seconds you normally get in a single loop allow you to do barely anything at all, I don't think you even have the time to cross from one end of the field to another. You can barely get to the control point in the centre within that time, let alone take every healthpack in the arena, of which there are always more than 2. Maybe in ranked matches both players will immediately pick up the health closest to them as soon as they can, but if you take it while you are still alive, all it does is heal you, and it might be smarter to simply let a clone pick it up from later in the loop. Increasing the time limit really eases the rush restriction a little, and allows you more choices. I can't immediately agree with this guy that it's always best to rush down the health, after all, if the opponent knows you did it he can kill the respawned clone on the next loop by simply positioning himself correctly.

I would really like to see this game with huge maps and vehicles à la Halo. Or with more clones since you can't have more than 3 loops within a cycle. Or even with massively longer loops on top of all this. It's a really fucking cool idea. I don't dig the tiny arena setting at all though, it makes sense with the revives I suppose, maybe they do suck after all lol. You can turn them off in the custom game settings, but I never tried because I think they add to the complexity of the game. I don't think the current form of this game has any lasting value outside of a few hours of fun, but it's definitely worth checking it out.

PS. All the characters but 1 are ugly.
ChevRage

Return to Games