default header

Games

SW|PC|ONE|PS4 Kaettekita Makaimura

Moderator: JC Denton

Re: SW|PC|ONE|PS4 Kaettekita Makaimura

Unread postby Q-veta » 03 Sep 2021 15:02

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection (2 Players Legend) w/ icycalm as Arthur & Beakman as the Ancestors
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37asTY-d6hg

I saw a little of icy's stream and thought I should continue playing this. I've made it to Zone 3 where you can't choose between two stages anymore, there's only one now. So far it's a mashup of stages 3 from Makaimura and Daimakaimura but with the most insane light and dark mechanic ever in the Makaimura inspired part. In some areas if you fire a stray shot YOU DIE. At least I can't see how you don't on Legend, perhaps on the lower difficulties it's possible. The one big problem I have so far is that I have bypassed each Red Arremer encounter and I still don't know how to beat him. Where I am now it feels impossible, the only reason I've made progress is that I realized after an hour that you can change where he spawns depending on your route and if you go the other route you can bypass him. I have no doubt that there will be a fight where I can't run away from and his encounters are only getting harder...

I remember that the first part of the stage icy was playing took me around two hours and felt overwhelming. Looking at the stream it looks like a tutorial level compared to where I'm at now. And I'm only halfway through the game (assuming it's like the first two and there are five stages).

It's the most intense 2D action game ever, it's absolutely relentless. The last stage of Metal Slug is about as intense and hectic as the first stage here.
Q-veta

Unread postby icycalm » 03 Sep 2021 15:28

I talk about that in my stream. It was obvious to me within minutes I was playing the best 2D action game ever. And what's more, we were playing on a 42-inch 1080p TV, and the graphics were amazing. I am sure that by the time you get to big bosses, the animation will be lacking and it will be jarring, but with normal enemies the game looks great on such a big TV, and I think with smaller screens you'd lose out on the incredible level of detail of the backgrounds.

And don't even get me started on the 2-player. Best arcade 2-player mode ever. So insanely creative. It takes the action to a whole other level.

As for the difficulty, keep in my mind that this is Legend, whereas with all the previous games, I just played on Normal.

In other news, Beak bought my 4K TV and he's setting it up now on his laptop. We'll try to run the game at 4K to see how it looks. We'll report back.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Q-veta » 03 Sep 2021 23:35

I actually did play this on my 4K monitor today and it looked great. The animations of the bosses in Zone 1, especially the first one, didn't look good on my small laptop screen either so I don't feel they'll be much worse on a big display.

I played the previous games on Normal too. Choosing a higher difficulty usually just made the enemies a little faster. Legend in the new game seems to be hand-crafted by comparison and not just turning a couple of sliders up or down.
Q-veta

Unread postby Q-veta » 06 Sep 2021 13:47

I've finished it today, what an incredible ride. Zone 4 is such a tightrope from beginning to end, I've never seen anything like it. One stray shot in the first third and you're back to the start of the stage. In the last third, one wrong step forward and you're back to the start of the stage. This one took me 10 hours and I only made it through when I decided to experiment with other spells.

Every stage makes the previous one feel like a tutorial, except the last one which is pretty easy but then again that was the case in Chohmakaimura and Gokumakaimura so I didn't expect too much. At least it didn't suck like the one in Goku.

The bosses are the best in the series. The ones in Zone 1 are easily the worst and set your expectations low but they get a lot more elaborate and better looking after that. Astaroth is kind of a crapshoot though but the game ends on a high note.

I'll try the co-op mode for a bit at some point. Praying this gets a sequel. If you're in the mood for 2D action, forget everything else and play this instead.
Q-veta

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Sep 2021 15:52

I would definitely not recommend that beginners or even intermediates play this game any time soon, unless maybe in co-op mode. It doesn’t have much to do with skill in my opinion, I am saying purely on the grounds that to appreciate the game you must have played a lot of 2D action over the years, otherwise you won’t be able to appreciate its greatness. I’ve been playing 2D action since Pong, so I am good. But random people coming across this thread on Insomnia’s frontpage should definitely go through some Rolling Thunders, Shinobis, Contras, earlier Makaimuras, earlier Draculas, Striders, Metal Slugs et al. before getting to this game.

And if you want to see what garbage looks like, try some “soulslike” “roguelite” metroidvanias on Steam. You need to know what the valley and even the ditch and sewer drain look like to appreciate the peaks.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Previous

Return to Games