default header

Games

PC GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon

Moderator: JC Denton

PC GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jul 2021 15:51

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1323 ... ying_Moon/

Konami wrote:Getsu Fuma Descends. It has been 1000 years since the first leader of the Getsu clan defeated the demon lord Ryukotsuki, driving demons back into Hell and restoring order to the world. But when Ryukotsuki abruptly returns and all hell breaks loose, it falls unto a new hero to rise against the threat.

This is pretty insane. They've abandoned Dracula to make a sequel to a Famicom game apparently that plays pretty much like the Dracula games. Even weirder, they released on STEAM, not on console, and even weirdest for a Japanese behemoth, in EARLY ACCESS with a roadmap etc. Crazy stuff. If not for the art and graphics, it's the exact same model of countless "indie" metroidvanias.

Anyway, I bought it of course and will be streaming it later today. Only problem is, side-view action doesn't work well with my Shadow given I am so far away from the data center and get 50+ ms lag. I can play 2D FTGs and belt-scrollers, but that's about it for 2D action: I can't really play STGs or side-view action or platforming that demand more precision. That's why I am not playing Hollow Knight for example. So if this game requires precision, my stream will be a short one. However, it seems to be "soulsbullshit" etc., so maybe I'll be able to play it as those games don't require much precision. It's kind of a shitty thing to wish for though because I certainly don't want to play that kind of game, especially in 2D, I want a precision side-view action game, but there's no way this is that. Anyway, we'll see.

Really this looks like 2D Otogi, like a demake of the Otogis in every way, including the grinding—which I didn't mind in Otogi as I'd have done anything to spend as much time as possible in that world. It's a crime I haven't played the sequel yet. Never even finished the original; came close to finishing it two-three times, but had to bail because of life reasons.

Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDcMVvtPh4
icycalm
Hyperborean

CULT LIVE: GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jul 2021 05:08

GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon with icycalm 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtnhoXkbmUU

So this dropped out of nowhere and as I said above, it's totally uncharacteristic for a Japanese company, let alone for Konami. I got a shock seeing the Konami logo on my screen even though I was prepared for it.

It's one of the best-looking 2.5D games ever. Top 3 material easily. So you gotta try it just for this, if nothing else. I wouldn't play it on anything less than 42 inches, because you'd be missing out on the detail and the immersion that is the whole point of this production.

Terrific weapons and animation, great music and sound and ambiance, and surprisingly fun to play despite the inferior genre. It's metroidvania. I am not sure if there are "souls". I mean there ARE souls and they are called souls, but I am not sure they function as in a Souls game. When I die, it just sends me back to the hub area, and there don't seem to be any scattered souls from my death to go back and collect. So it looks like it doesn't have that stupid mechanic (see Why the Souls System is Fucking Retarded).

It's tougher than the various Dracula metroidvanias I've played, and I've played a few. You can't just blaze through the stages unthinkingly: you have to milk them, and then you have to know how to unload on the boss. I got to the first boss, and it was a treat, check my stream at 54:05. It's like Guilty Gear: Strive.

I wish it was a straight-up action game, but I wish that for all these games. It's still a lot of fun for what it is, and it is a visual tour-de-force. I will be playing more.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Jul 2021 19:17

I am refunding this. I don't want to play it again. I thought I wanted to, but then I woke up today and realized I don't want to.

There will be an essay. It will be called "Doom of Metroidvania", or "Requiem for Metroidvania", or something like that. It's been two decades coming, and it'll be epic. The full history of Metroid and Castlevania will be unraveled for the first time. Also Rogue and Demon's Souls, believe it or not. They are all tied together, and the thing tying them together is low T and low IQ. Tons of games will be analyzed, like Kaettekita Makaimura, Streets of Rage 4, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, Dragon's Crown, Mark of the Ninja, et al.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games