default header

Games

PC|XS|ONE|PS4 Conan Exiles

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|XS|ONE|PS4 Conan Exiles

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Feb 2022 01:11

Conan Exiles 2021 Year in Review: Producer's Letter
https://steamcommunity.com/games/440900 ... 5190614534

With an eye on the future, we’ve also spent a good portion of the year planning and figuring out the best way to support our game for the long run. We are committed to Conan Exiles, it’s one of the greatest successes we have had at Funcom and we want it to become the best it can be. For that purpose, we have been growing our staff over the year and created a new Live team that is dedicated to the maintenance, support, and daily operations of the game.

I can’t wait to spill the beans on what is coming in the future

Never realized this game had beasts and ships like this. We've tried it two-three times but never played more than a session because the servers were dead. Which is crazy given how popular it is, and how many expansions it's got, and is still getting. But that's how it is with any game of this type except Rust, because unlike Rust the rest have irregular wipe schedules and you just don't know when the fuck they will wipe. And when they do wipe, they don't last long, because of tiny server sizes (max 64 players compared to Rust's 500).

The solution is what dan did, who played PVP with his friends. I think 5v5 or something. They played a few dozen hours this way, and this is what we'll try too at some point. We might be able to set up a 10v10 at some point on our server. Should also do this with ARK and a couple other games. Just take a couple weekends off our regular games and do it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PC|XS|ONE|PS4 Conan Exiles

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Mar 2023 03:19

This is a picture from a new update:

I don't know what the hell they're adding to this game, but they've been adding stuff to it non-stop for years. We've tried it a couple of times, but never got far because the servers were always dead. They're small servers, and they're so many of them that it's hard to find a full one. They also don't wipe on a schedule, so you have to basically pray that you get into one at wipe time, and that it's full. So we've never managed this, and it's a common issue with Rust wannabes.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever enjoy all this content now, with all the other games in the genre coming out, chief of which is Star Citizen, which we'll be playing forever. So it's kinda sad seeing this content go up.

More info here, if you're interested:

A Guide to Golem Shaping in Age of Sorcery — Chapter 3
https://steamcommunity.com/games/440900 ... 0685780015

The way I understand this (failed) subgenre of survival-builder is that they are mainly targeted to Minecraft-type autistic PVE builders. They just launch their own server, and just build shit on their own until they get bored. The mechanics allow full-loot PVP, but the server setup discourages it, so servers remain largely empty.

At least it looks like the company is branching out of this dead-end design with its new Dune game [ > ]. If THAT gets as much content as THIS, it'll be INSANE.

It probably won't though, because FP4Xes are doomed because players have low IQ etc. UNLESS this new one's design leans more towards SC, and solves some big problems.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. It'll be a busy year for the genre, and I'll play and report on everything.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games