Games

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW Hogwarts Legacy

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|XS|PS5|ONE|PS4|SW Hogwarts Legacy

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Feb 2023 11:09

https://www.hogwartslegacy.com/en-us

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9900 ... rts_Legacy

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765 ... ded/990080

Rain wrote:Words can't describe how disappointed I am in this game. This was advertised as "make your own path" kind of game, yet it can't be further away from the truth. There is one path, and it's the one the game gives you. There is no becoming a dark wizard, or a good one... you're just the character the game tells you to be.

The whole game is lifeless, NPCs don't react to anything you do, you can talk to some of them but that's it. You can go around casting spells, no one will even look at you or react the slightest. You can go and enter people's houses after forcing their locks, go through their chests, they won't say or do a thing, they just act like you're not even there.

Most of the time you can't jump to places, invisible walls everywhere, making exploration very linear and flavorless. Combat is fun, but I'm still looking for difficulty. Basically entered one of the most dangerous places, the Forbidden Forest, after 2 hours playing and defeated everything that came my way without breaking a sweat, there is no real danger or even sense of danger, and of course you can't attack centors, because yeah... you're not a bad person, so the game won't let you do bad things.

You can fly on a broom, and again, it's slow, no sensation or feeling of speed, you can go into an obstacle at full speed and you will just stop, no impact, no animation, nothing. You just stop like it's okay to ram into a wall.

The only decent thing about the game so far is the story. It's well designed, for now, but there is not much choices or decisions to take, and the only few really don't change anything to the story... you just go with it and follow the game's lead. It's basically a playable cinematic.

So to sum it up, it is yet again a very expensive game that brings nothing new to the table, with empty promises and seemingly half-finished features. Was expecting this to be a Skyrim with HP world, turned out to be a plain adventure game you can't even play with your friends.

4/10

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765 ... ded/990080

Reisender wrote:Meh. Stylistically the game is great. The castle feels pretty alive and and it has many of the environmental elements I would expect from Hogwarts. The environments/areas outside the castle are similarly polished.

Unfortunately, such appearances only go skin deep. There is very limited interactivity with your environment outside of the scripted quests or the various treasure hunt type items. You can't interact with any of the people that aren't vendors or active in a given quest, can't sit down in a chair or on a bench, no real commentary on player actions whatsoever. I have yet to feel drawn into the world as none of the characters are ever really present to engage with. I have no companions unless they are needed for a quest, there are no rivalries to be had (which is rather more noticeable as I went Slytherin) and that's well before any of the immersion breaking progressive nonsense is added in. Short of it is, I don't ever feel like a student at Hogwarts, I feel like a "Mary Sue'd" outsider partaking in a magical murder mystery theater.

Speaking of quests, they are also "meh" for the most part. The main quest line is rather engaging and keeps you moving forward to find out what happens next, but the side quests are quite boring and often just boil down to your standard "go fetch" type quests. I have not found any side quest of substance as of yet.

Combat is one of the saving graces so far. Generally quite intuitive and enjoyable. Presents a decent challenge while also making you feel like a spell slinging bad-ass on occasion.

Oh, and the loot. Seriously the loot system and types of loot is ridiculous. The mechanics aren't horrible, but the immersion break is. My eyes ache from the rolling whenever, after traversing an "ancient" dungeon/crypt/cave, bypassing puzzles, slaying enemies, etc. I then spy an impressive looking chest, only to open said chest and be awarded with... a new scarf/house robe/glasses. -.-

Still have a ways to go in the game, so I'm gonna keep an open mind till I complete it, but so far... Meh.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games