default header

Games

PC|XS Redfall

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|XS Redfall

Unread postby icycalm » 02 May 2023 12:45

https://bethesda.net/en/game/redfall

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1294810/Redfall

The entire cast in that image seems like blacks and mexicans lol.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765 ... ed/1294810

Emmet6500 wrote:at least fallout 76 isn't Bethesda's worst game anymore

https://steamcommunity.com/id/waffles32 ... ed/1294810

Waffles wrote:This is the first Arkane game that I don't enjoy.

Despite the difference in genre from most Arkane titles, I was excited. The trailers made this game look fun. Despite the difference in genre, I'd like to point to how good 2017 Prey was (despite the low sales and poor ending) and what could have been for Arkane Austin's Redfall...

Redfall's open world is empty, and the enemies that populate it are hilariously dumb. Let me touch on both:

I think a good way to describe the open world is with an example. On the northeast side of town, there's a house you can actually enter. It's a normal house, furnished although a large amount of empty space in it. In the backyard, there's a large shed that you can also enter. For about 50 meters around the shed, there is nothing but flat, freshly cut grass. No bushes, flowers, nothing. And inside this large shed? Nothing. An empty, fully textured shed with a pool leaning up against the wall.

The world feels like it's too big for itself, and yet in three hours I had been around half of the whole town. I noticed that a truck with cultists had spawned and the disappeared later on, meaning that the empty space is supposed to be filled with things that can change. Which would be neat, if it happened more than once...

Now, I had seen the prerelease footage. I knew enemies ran towards you instead of shooting in an open space. I was hoping that the harder difficulty would make them less dumb, but all the difficulty seems to do is boost the damage done. Now I was also thinking "Oh it's an Arkane game, they're meant to be dumb so that I can find fun ways to kill them!" There are so few ways to go about doing that: guns, and your abilities that do pitiful amounts of damage. No throwable props, no stealth take-downs/back-stabs, and environmental damage props maybe every 200 meters.

I also came to notice that groups of enemies would spawn behind me quite often. Anywhere I wasn't looking, in the heat of battle, enemies would spawn in a room I had just cleared. I actually saw them spawn at one point. Maybe I had whipped around too fast or something?

Despite being a different Arkane studio, it's worth making the comparison. DEATHLOOP, despite its arguably worse optimisation, is a better game. It even shares some of the same ARPG gimmicks as Redfall. I wanted to love Redfall, and I want Arkane to prove me wrong and make me buy this again in the future once they do something with it. Given Bethesda's track record of dropping things that don't sell well (they did it to 2017 Prey and DEATHLOOP), I don't see that happening.

Sitting at $101.69 CAD, I cannot in good faith recommend Redfall at all, and during writing this I have been given a refund.

:(

https://steamcommunity.com/id/masterofo ... ed/1294810

Epsilon wrote:For a studio like Arkane with a host of classics behind them like Arx Fatalis, Dishonored 1+2 and Prey to have made something like Redfall, something must have seriously gone wrong.

I've been playing on the Midnight difficulty, which is the hardest difficulty you can play on without having previously completed the game, and there hasn't been a single enemy thus far, from vampires, cultists, cultist lieutenants to Bellwether soldiers and officers, that I haven't been able to avoid by simply running around them in circles. The AI is almost nonexistent.

At one point I was fighting three vampires at once, and while they were lurching and clawing at me, I simply stepped to the side, and nothing happened. I could take my time and whittle them down with my level 1 gun and then finish them with my level 1 stake-equipped shotgun.

I will play a bit more though, get a few more levels to make sure the AI isn't being artificially restricted due to some kind of level scaling, but I doubt it, I will edit the review if that's the case.

Then there's the performance, I happen to play with a 4090 and so the performance is generally acceptable at around 140-160 FPS, however this is with DLSS 3 frame-generation. Without that, I get 30-40 FPS at 4K with a 4090. So essentially if you do not have the latest hardware and are playing at high resolution, do not even bother trying.

The game world feels exactly the same as Fallout 76. You get nonsense missions from NPCs that could just as well be nonexistent. And you loot junk in the open world. There are many buildings, but most of them cannot be entered.

At this point, If I had to bet, they're going to take the wrong lesson from reviews such as this. Instead of improving the AI, they're going to turn the enemies into bullet sponges, prolonging the fights, instead of making them interesting, they're just going to become even more annoying. And instead of improving the scrap looting, they're just going to make it worth less, so you have to loot even more to get the same amount of currency.

If you think about it Fallout 76 came out in 2017, that's 5-6 years ago. It wouldn't be far fetched to think that Arkane played that, enjoyed it, and figured they could make something similar. Which they have done.

Why they would think that's a good idea is really anyone's guess.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Games