default header

Games

Initial D Arcade Stage 4 location test

Moderator: JC Denton

Initial D Arcade Stage 4 location test

Unread postby zapeipaa » 13 Nov 2006 19:39

http://insomnia.ac/japan/initial_d_arcade_stage_4/

Very enjoyable reading. I didn't play any Initial D when I was in Japan last year, although I like the TV-series. But I'll get more chances since I'm moving there soon.

To me, it looks like there's no grip at all - the cars seem to drift real easy. I don't have a drivers license, but do you maneuver the car at the same way on a real car as in IDAS 4 (when drifting)? And what happens in the second clip? Does he lose control of the car or did he get so far ahead (110m?) that he won the race? Something I noticed in the third clip is that the wheels of the opponent doesn't seem to turn (at least not as much as they should when drifting). But then again, this game doesn't seem to focus on graphics, and it still looks really good on those videos.
zapeipaa

Re: Initial D Arcade Stage 4 location test

Unread postby icycalm » 15 Nov 2006 17:17

The reason drifting looks easy is because the guys are really good at the game and they make it look easy. Quite possibly the first time you play it you'll find handling somewhat on the sluggish side.

Of course, the exact handling characteristics seen in the videos are not that important, because they are subject to change before the game actually comes out. It's kinda like the bullet patterns in Cave shooters, which vary to a great extent between the loke test and the final version. So they are not really worth fussing about too much. The only thing that's 100% certain at this point is that there is a lot more drifting compared to previous versions.

zapeipaa wrote:I don't have a driver's license, but do you maneuver the car at the same way on a real car as in IDAS 4 (when drifting)?

I've been driving for a very long time but I've never drifted in real life, so I can't really compare the two...

zapeipaa wrote:And what happens in the second clip? Does he lose control of the car or did he get so far ahead (110m?)

I think what happened was that he was challenged to an online race. I can't be sure because I am not really paying attention to what goes on in the game when I am shooting a video. I am mainly looking out for members of the staff who might catch me.

Also, the game looks a bit better in videos than in reality. That's because the videos are 640x480, so you can't really see the jaggies and rather low-detail texture work. The real thing looks quite a bit worse -- especially when it's stationary.

Which part of Japan are you moving to?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Initial D Arcade Stage 4 location test

Unread postby zapeipaa » 15 Nov 2006 21:36

icycalm wrote:The reason drifting looks easy is because the guys are really good at the game and they make it look easy. Quite possibly the first time you play it you'll find handling somewhat on the sluggish side.

Ah. I thought you usually turn the steering wheel to the opposit direction more, which these guys doesn't seem to do. It sure looks easy to win, but I guess they're good at the game as you said. So, how did you do? :P

Maybe it's just that you didn't take many pics of it, or it wasn't ready for the location test, but it looks like there are far too many daylight battles. Initial D is all about night battles!

icycalm wrote:Which part of Japan are you moving to?

Tokyo, probably within walking-distance to Akihabara.
zapeipaa

Return to Games