default header

Uberust

PC|MAC|ONE|PS4 Rust

Moderator: JC Denton

PC|MAC|ONE|PS4 Rust

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Nov 2020 17:46

I just discovered there's no Rust thread on the site lol. So first off, here's my Videogame Art review of it:

Part I: https://culture.vg/reviews/videogame-art/rust.html
Part II: https://www.patreon.com/posts/35357043

More parts incoming.

In the meantime, check out Shadowfrax's latest video:

Tech trees, November Balance | Rust Update 27th November 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70cGJYo1oU

Normally we have a dedicated thread for his videos [ > ], but the upcoming tech tree update that he reveals in this video should be highlighted in the main thread because remember who told you first that Rust is first-person Civilization? People had no idea what I was talking about back then, but can you see it now that the devs have made it blatant even for morons?

icycalm tha prophet wrote:And if the clan is comprised of 100 players, instead of 15, operating in separate groups spread out across the map tackling specialized objectives which boil down to eXploring, eXpanding, eXploiting, and eXterminating, what are you doing, precisely, if not participating in a real-time MMO version of a 4X game like Civilization?

P.S. This update will make the game even harder and more complex, because it means you won't be able to use advanced blueprints even if you own them, until you also have all their prerequisite blueprints. The devs just keep ratcheting up the complexity and difficulty with no end in sight lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Discord BOT » 01 Dec 2020 12:02

CULT|Yurian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWE5HaGFxw

Ryan JD wrote:What Is Base Invaders in RUST? How To Play?

CULT|icycalm
The periods are a few minutes. It's autistic. Defeats the entire purpose of the game and the genre.
Uberust4Lyfe

CULT|Yurian
Yeah, 130 minutes total is way too short lol.

CULT|icycalm
I didn't even watch enough to find the total duration
I guess you could say it's a step in the right direction, because it introduces an endgame
But the end of this direction is Uberust
The point is, his game is worse than regular Rust
It's so obviously worse
So he fixed one thing, okay, the endgame. But he destroyed everything else that made the game special lol.
Maybe he can make a 130-minute version of Civ next

CULT|Yurian
Lol yeah I agree. Maybe some of their mods could be useful for Uberust.

CULT|icycalm
Oh sure yeah
Originally posted in the Insomnia Discord.

Insomnia Discord bot powered by proprietary next gen next level neural networked quantum learning self aware AI developed by Cult Games.
Discord BOT

Unread postby icycalm » 31 May 2021 02:25

Rust top 5 on Steam right now, at least in my region.

This game has insane legs. It just keeps selling.

We're playing this week btw. I'll have details up soon. We'll try a new approach this time, can't wait.

P.S. ARK is top 3 and 4 lol, and the top 2 games are VERY close in genre. The entire top 5 is taken up by open-world survival-crafting basically lol. Incredible. I bet this isn't at all what console charts look like. PC gamers way ahead of everyone.
icycalm
Hyperborean

New Rust trailer!!!

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jun 2021 18:02

They've been planning this for a long time, it's been on the roadmap for ages since someone requested it: https://rust.nolt.io/2532

Jakb wrote:A new game trailer

The current Rust trailer is now 2 years old and was made by a Rust youtuber, Surge. If you haven’t seen it look here https://youtu.be/gcvDUxdmntw

Being 2 years old the trailer does not actually show what Rust is like in it’s current more developed state. The graphics are worse, the player models are different, there is a lot of content which is not shown, eg: vehicles, cargoship, scientists, new weapons. Everything about that trailer is old and does not look appealing to new players

The trailer also does not capture all the mayhem you may experience during Rust and how exhilarating it may be. There should definitely be clips of highspeed minicopter fights, compound infiltrations etc.

Ngl, I love surge and his videos but I don’t believe the current trailer is of enough quality to be the official trailer for Rust - The first thing anyone will see on the steam page when purchasing Rust. There are spelling mistakes in the overlaying text and more

TL;DR:
The trailer is extremely outdated, we definitely need a new one and one that is officially made by Facepunch.

Someone pointed out to him the old console announcement trailer, which is brilliant and which I've had as number 2 in my Ultimate Trailer Ranking for a while.

Rust - Console Announcement Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uprAyR ... TR&index=2

This remains one of the best trailers of all time, top 3 material easily, and I always watch it to get psyched before starting a new wipe. However, as the OP remarked,

Jakb wrote:@Nibba toilet That video is great but it won’t go well for the official trailer

It IS an official trailer (which goes to show you how aesthetically sensitive the people making this game are, and above all the director), but it doesn't showcase all the things you do in this game, so even though as an ARTWORK IN ITSELF, it is SUBLIME, as a trailer whose job it is to advertise the game, it doesn't quite fit the bill, so a new trailer is needed.

Btw, the NEW console release trailer is execrable. I am not even going to link it, that's how bad it is. It totally misrepresents the game as if it's some muddy battle royale-wannabe. Fuck that trailer man, the port's devs made it I am sure, and fuck the console edition that probably IS muddy. You don't play a masterpiece like this with a fucking controller on an Xbox, fuck you.

So just now I got a YouTube notification (because I am subscribed to Facepunch with notifications on) that they finally fixed the trailer issue.

Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGcECozNXEw

Now that's what I am talking about! That's Rust. Now you finally have something representative of the game to show to your friends so that they'll maybe see the light and join you.

July 1 is the next update and forced wipe, and we're playing no matter what. I've found 24-hour coworking spaces with super-fast internet in case I still haven't fixed my connection problem at home. It's 20 euros a day, but I don't give a shit. There's no way I am not playing, and I hope many of you will join me (and feel free to invite friends).

P.S. Of course the new trailer went on the Ultimate Trailer Ranking immediately, I just haven't decided exactly how high to place it yet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jun 2021 18:32

It doesn't even show that there's a whole electrical engineering dimension that practically requires one of your friends to study YouTube videos on how to wire your entire base lol. It DOES show some of the upgraded art assets though. That grass in the end scene looks so real.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 24 Jun 2021 18:39

Also I think they updated the Steam description: https://store.steampowered.com/app/252490/Rust/

Facepunch wrote:The only aim in Rust is to survive. Everything wants you to die - the island’s wildlife and other inhabitants, the environment, other survivors. Do whatever it takes to last another night.

The last line is new I think, never seen it before, I would have remembered.

It's kinda false for the regular servers though. You can "last another night" just fine with infinite respawns, thankyouverymuch. If you're talking about YOUR BASE surviving, then fine, I'll buy that.

It's only in 1-life Uberust that the last line is true. I have some new ideas about relaunching that at some point. I think they'll work even better than before, and will make running the event a breeze, with no commitment required from anyone. Look out for that maybe in the summer, maybe in the autumn. Whenever I feel Battlegrounds is stable and we can take a bit of time off for another pass at Uberust.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jun 2021 13:24

Voice Props DLC is up but can't be purchased before July 1: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1670 ... rops_Pack/

Cellphones will be an absolute game-changer for Uberust. In normal Rust, I don't see any utility for them really, unless say people start writing their numbers outside their bases and you can call in before raiding to negotiate, or to team up, etc. Maybe something like that could work.

This on the other hand has endless possibilities. I don't see how the servers won't end up a zoo. We might have to turn off the voice props from the settings menu... Otherwise, well, it will motivate everyone to get good at PVP at least.

I am still not clear if we can listen to real music with this. If so, I see helicopter rides with Wagner blaring; only thing we'll need at that point is napalm.

As for this I don't even. It makes me think of GTA for some reason, only MP. They are not even using the smoke machine or the strobe light you can purchase from the marketplace. I have both. Probably the deepest disco sim ever.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Jun 2021 15:30

The arcade machine should allow us to upload ROMs, and the boombox should allow us to queue YouTube playlists. And they should make a TV we can craft that you can upload torrents to. Then no one would need to leave our base all weekend, and paired with a solid alarm system you'd have guards at the base 24/7. I wonder when they'll realize this. They already have 2/3 items in. All they need is the TV. And then just unlock the content for us.

And paired with the IFTTT system, even when you went to the bathroom irl you'd still get alarms if something happened.

Rust works better with IFTTT
https://ifttt.com/rust

IFTTT wrote:Connect your services and devices to the Rust survival game to enhance your notifications from the Rust companion app. Requires the PC version of Rust.

It can trigger your home alarm when your base alarm goes off.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jul 2021 23:26

Passed 400 hours in Rust. That's not quite my most played game though, because if you add PA and PA: Titans, they are at about 600.

I have never played anything as much as these two games. LiF is a distant third at 188 hours just because that game is damned hard to play for long, and now it's gone and I can't play it again. Would have gladly played more wipes, but it still would never have caught up to Rust and PA just due to how much easier to play those are.

Of course for most people, PA and Rust are very hard, and LiF is unplayable lol.

What insane games they all are. Would have never even imagined them back in the '80s and '90s. Their very concept was unimaginable. We just thought we'd be playing sidescrollers with better graphics in the future lol.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 08 Aug 2021 02:03

The Strait of Gibraltar bunkers that Franco never used
https://english.elpais.com/culture/2021 ... -used.html

Jesús A. Cañas wrote:Around 30,000 prisoners toiled in abject conditions to build 640 military structures from which the Nazis planned to attack the Rock, but which were ultimately abandoned

Looks exactly like a Rust base not made by me. It even has the custom skin graffiti.

Art imitating life.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: PC|MAC|ONE|PS4 Rust

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Mar 2022 09:17

Some great pics from the Rustafied blog, mostly showcasing the new additions since we last played, plus some atmospheric shots (their photographer is excellent): https://www.rustafied.com

Insane atmosphere:

New polar bears:

New improved and moody lighting for monuments at night:

Classic Rust shot, never gets old:

New arctic monument:

New snowmobile and arctic suit (that must be purchased from the store, but which unlike the spacesuit gives some benefits, so it's kinda pay-to-win-ish; though the term is laughable in a game of Rust's complexity, since a thousand suits like this will still do no good to you if you lack the team and skills and time to dominate your neighbors):

This is one of the greatest videogame screenshots of all time, as far as I am concerned, showcasing one of the new submarines:

Insane atmosphere.

There's more stuff like sharks, underwater labs, etc. but I haven't found cool shots of them yet. At least not to the standard of the above.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 04 Jun 2022 00:43

The level of competition on Rustoria US Main is ridiculous. In the chillest regions of the map you have dozens of guys fighting over four-five barrel spawns. The smallest monuments are fenced around and monopolized by a dominant clan, the medium ones are swamped in all directions with bases every 20 feet as far as the eye can see and gunfire is neverending, and as for the biggest monuments we’ve no idea what goes on there because we’ve never bothered to take a look (we probably wouldn’t even make it close enough to see anything).

It’s NOT the huge playercount that’s doing this, it is the relatively small map size for this number of players. It feels like something has been lost when you have to fight for your life every few minutes for half a stack of stone or 2 pieces of scrap. It feels like something has been gravely misunderstood from the experience.

And yet, while you are in the midst of it it’s gripping like no other game or even Rust server, and every mission you assign to yourself feels like the most important thing going on in the game’s entire massive world. I can’t stop playing, and can’t stop struggling to clear enough of an area around us to find the time to take a breath. If you add in the crazy tech tree that grows every month with no end in sight... there’s just nothing quite like Rust, and that includes earlier versions of it. What a game.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 28 Jun 2022 23:53

https://store.steampowered.com/search/? ... topsellers

lmao Rust is #3, selling more than DNF Duel that just launched. I don't think that any other game on Steam sells as well. Eventually it's bound to be the best-selling Steam game ever. Correct me if I am wrong?

Btw, my VGART essay isn't done yet. It has three parts so far, and at least two more are coming up.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Sep 2022 14:14

We might be getting automation everyone, can't wait to conveyer belt some items
https://www.reddit.com/r/playrust/comme ... _cant_wait

It's hard to get excited about Rust updates after having played Star Citizen. They put in more in three months than Rust does in a year. SC really makes Rust seem old now, just like Rust made PlanetSide 2 seem old (and which next to SC looks archaic).

But I'll keep covering news on Rust and playing at least one full wipe a year, during some lull from SC updates. I can see the writing on the wall though: Rust's appeal is coming to an end. When/if SC adds even a mediocre building aspect, there'll be no reason to play Rust anymore. Compounding the issue is that the programmers in charge of Rust have no idea where they're going with their game, so that much of the stuff they've been adding and plan to add clashes with the game's theme, which theme they haven't even properly finished. Are these random naked lunatics who are for some reason stranded on an island and trying to kill each other going to reinvent the industrial revolution? Don't even get me started on the ARCHIPELAGO of identical connected islands they're trying to create now.

Star Citizen will utterly swallow Rust's playerbase when the building mechanics go in. It's already a much better survival game in many ways.
icycalm
Hyperborean

The End of Rust

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jan 2023 02:22

INDUSTRIAL CRAFTING - Rust Update 6th January 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VZD-j89wQ

The February update is, in all probability, The End of Rust. Let's understand why.

They are adding an incredible industrial tier of items and processes, effectively turning the game into survival-builder Satisfactory, which is an insanely attractive concept. But the implementation is so hamfisted, that it's unplayable. You basically stick little modules on top of all your containers (boxes, furnaces, fridges, whatever), and somehow these little boxes and the pipes that connect them are supposed to move around items that are... bigger than the boxes and pipes themselves. It's the dumbest, laziest shit I've ever seen in the genre, and totally uncharacteristic of these developers who are ALWAYS extremely careful with both the mechanics and aesthetics they introduce. Rust is a game with a super-unique super-focused aesthetic, starting from the game's name itself. And they have kept it finely-honed for a full decade (the game just celebrated its 10th anniversary). But apparently, they just gave up, and from February the game will become unplayable for all those, like me, whose immersion will be utterly ruined by the image of chairs and hammers flowing in tubes like liquids. It boggles the mind how ugly and stupid it all looks. You know the coziness and homeliness of a good Rust base that felt like an oasis in the middle of the violent, lonely chaos of the typical high-pop Rust server? It is gone. Take a look at Shadowfrax's video. The new Rust looks like something an autistic "indie" teenager who's never left his room designed.

It's such a terrible shame because a ton of other awesome stuff are coming into the game soon such as pets, more monuments like a nuclear missile silo, a ferry that goes around and on which new players arrive, et al. Of course, the industrial system would have been the star new feature, but now it's ruined, and it ruined the entire game with it.

I suppose there is a tiny chance a lot of people will complain and the devs will remove the system, and hopefully remake it properly and readd it. But keep in mind that, aesthetically, it would be very hard to remake the system properly because the very nature of AUTOMATION utterly CLASHES with Rust's key theme, which is DIY jury-rigging. It would make no sense to start factory production lines in such a Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic setting. The only way this could be done is if order was restored on the island, and a command structure was formed, and people specialized and began clearing out junk and setting up brand-new buildings etc. There would have to be a whole new ERA of Rust like in a Civilization/Age of Empires game to properly introduce industrialization here. You see how the theme constraints the mechanics, and has finally led these hapless devs to this impasse, and these Mickey Mouse aesthetic choices that basically render the game unplayable.

What more is there to say? I am finally quitting Rust after 5.5 years and 471 hours, as my most played game of all time (unless you count the two PA versions as one, which I suppose you should): https://steamcommunity.com/id/icycalm/games/?tab=all

I have hundreds of dollars' worth of skins, and for a moment I considered selling them, as I expect their values to decline as the game declines as a result of this update, but then I thought twice about it. Selling the skins now would mean I abandon hope on the game, and I don't want to do that. There's still plenty of time to turn this boat around, plenty of solutions that can be found. This is the FIFTH best game of all time, after all (it goes my Ultimate Edition/Battlegrounds, then Star Citizen, then Life is Feudal: MMO, then Atlas, then Rust). The version with the Mickey Mouse industrialization is a travesty, but it can be rolled back with a few clicks. Facepunch HAS rolled back features before. Nothing as big as industrialization, but they've rolled back for example stats and leveling, which was a pretty big thing. So there is hope, and I am not abandoning it.

All this said, I am not THAT heartbroken as I would be if I hadn't discovered Star Citizen, and if Life is Feudal II [ > ], Dune: Awakening [ > ], and others like ARK II [ > ] etc. weren't due in short order. Atlas, which in many ways is even better than Rust, has been destroyed even HARDER than Rust over the last couple of years. That too is basically unplayable now, and the original Life is Feudal is LITERALLY unplayable, since it went offline. Not to mention the fiasco that was Starbase!

Such is the nature of this genre: these hyper-complex monsters can be destroyed very easily with just a single bad decision, so it is paramount to enjoy them as much as possible while we have them—and this I have done with every single one of them, and will continue to do it. Do you know that Amazon's New World was a full first-person 4X game before they neutered it to a generic MMORPG? That one was destroyed even before release! (the alphas/betas were reportedly amazing, and to this day I regret not trying them).

Really there's nothing to mourn here, it's just the natural cycle of birth and death of a project, and the cutting edge has long moved beyond Rust anyway. Gaming's moving forward, survival-builders and FP4Xes are moving forward, Star Citizen will dominate everything in the end anyway, and I would like to take a moment on Rust's 10th anniversary to appreciate the game and its developers for kicking off ten years ago this wild artistic adventure that has really only just begun.

P.S. We'll probably always be able to just run Uberust on our own server and just remove the stupid shit. So there's that.
icycalm
Hyperborean

The End of Rust contd.

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jan 2023 07:21

There's one important angle to all this I neglected to discuss in my analysis earlier today: the game is showing its age by now. Just like after a couple of years of Rust it was impossible to take PlanetSide 2 seriously again (Rust is basically PlanetSide with base-building), after a few years with Life is Feudal, Atlas, and above all Star Citizen, it's getting harder and harder to take Rust's environments, for example, seriously. Already by the time Life is Feudal debuted its later massive hyper-realistic map, around 2019 I think it was?, Rust's patchwork procgen maps had been left far behind in the dust, and that's before we even mention LiF's terraforming. Then Atlas blew Rust away in the water and wave physics, and finally around the same time Star Citizen's Planet Tech V4 arrived in Alpha 3.8 and took planetary environments to a whole new level, unmatched by any game. And now we're expecting even more advanced planets in the upcoming Alpha 4.0, plus whatever upgrades are coming in Life is Feudal II, Dune: Awakening, and others. There's no way the Rust devs can compete with this onslaught without rebuilding their game from scratch, and since the game keeps raking in millions, they don't need to. Sure, income will go down, but the game will remain profitable for years because players are slow to jump ship, since they don't even know what ship to jump to, or even that other ships exist (thanks journalists!) Eventually, maybe another five-ten years down the line, the game will enter a zombie state like PlanetSide 2 has for years now, in which it still gets pointless updates, but only a handful of old dudes with bad taste keep playing it. Even the devs will be playing Star Citizen by then, and using the income from the zombie Rust players to pay CIG for ships and gear and territory. It's just the way it goes: profitable games don't die, they just get zombified.

And I haven't even mentioned vehicles in this analysis, or buildings, the quality of both being so superior in Star Citizen to Rust, that they make the latter feel like a handheld game in comparison. LiF and Atlas meanwhile, are somewhere in between, with the ships in Atlas being basically equivalent to Star Citizen's spaceships in size, and sheer complexity of form and function. And btw, Star Citizen is also getting ships and submersibles, and even has entire water planets that will bring back the water-globe that Atlas's devs destroyed in later updates.

There's just no way for the 10-year-old Rust to compete with any of that (and note that, even though Star Citizen is also about 10 years old, it has had its technology repeatedly rebuilt, so it appears to be a unique case of a game that's constantly evolving all the way down to the engine, which is why it's been taking so long). The automation update would have given Rust an edge over the competition IF it had worked well, but now it's botched, and Star Citizen also has automation on the drawing board, and there it WON'T be botched, because it won't be constrained by an inappropriate theme, let alone developers who've sold out and are phoning things in!

What I am saying is that Rust was losing its edge long before the botched automation update appeared on the horizon. We were therefore bound to get to this place where the knowledgeable players, at least, would no longer want to play it. The botched automation update just turbocharged this process, and is making it that much harder to continue overlooking the game's aging tech and design values. For me, it's making it impossible.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Apr 2023 22:51

Posting this in the main Rust thread instead of the Shadowfrax thread because it seems like it will have huge ramifications for the game.

Nuclear Missile Silo, NVGM scientists | Rust Update 21st April 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Mfm3NKIno

So it's basically all but announced that the new nuke silo will wipe the map at the end of a wipe period. This is something that has been asked for for years in the roadmap comments section, so yay they're finally putting it in. That said, it remains to be seen if the mechanics will be fully integrated for the duration of the wipe or if it'll simply be something that's activated at the very end of the wipe. If the latter, it'll basically be an aesthetic addition. Good, but not as good as if the whole thing operates throughout the wipe and we can compete or cooperate to control it somehow, ideally with some kind of clan leaderboard that persists across wipes, to finally give the game a proper endgame.

So we'll see, but either way it's good news for the game, and it might get me to play another wipe sometime later in the year, despite the new automation mechanics, which as mentioned before, I still hate.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Jul 2023 04:02

Deep Sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFY0ZF2 ... XVyolQO3wj

The tugboat is in and you can indeed basically build an entire base in it! I.e. you can place sleeping bags, small furnaces, etc. So you can finally have an entire mobile base a la Atlas! Also the water has received a big update and now looks like probably the best water in gaming. They say it also responds to changing weather. The ferry terminal is also in, but not yet functional (this will allow you to travel between servers).

I am looking forward to taking a couple weeks off Pathfinder and try to set up a tugboat base. Also, imagine how big your boathouse would have to get now to fit in a tugboat.

They definitely made up for the automation update with this update. I am also interested to try the automation mechanics to see if any of them can be salvaged to improve the experience.

Looking forward to what goes into the game over the next few months. I am definitely playing at some point before the end of the year.

The new DLC is also a must-have for a tugboat base. (Edit: It's not a DLC, it's a Steam Item Store pack: https://store.steampowered.com/itemstor ... tail/10222).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Sep 2023 17:55

Homing Missile Launchers | Rust Update 1st September 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrojz2slV0E

Lots of stuff coming soon, and the headline feature of this month—the multiple air updates—aren't even the most exciting ones for me. The clan tables inside tugboats he briefly mentions near the end is what excites me above all, as it basically feels like Star Citizen's larger ships, since you can place down sleeping bags etc. in the tugboat, remember. And though SC does have capital spaceships, it doesn't have actual ships yet, and won't for quite a while probably, not to mention an advanced building system. The reality is that Rust's tech tree is growing fast, with multiple air vehicles and handheld homing missiles just being added, on top of the recent industrial stuff, and much forthcoming stuff. So if you want to play first-person Civilization RIGHT NOW, Rust is still the only game in town, and will remain so for a couple more years at least, until SC's building system ramps up. Even then, it's unclear whether SC's tech tree will ever get anywhere near the complexity of Rust's, all the while there are no Rust competitors on the horizon whatsoever. All the direct competitors throughout the years have been garbage (I mean the ones who tried to copy Rust 1-to-1), while the indirect competitors such as LiF, Atlas, and all the upcoming stuff from my Most Wanted forum (LiF2, Dune: Awakening, Pax Dei) focus on one era, not on teching up between many ones.

All this to say that I plan to play Rust again because I've started to miss it and haven't played in so long that the amount of stuff to build and craft now has grown to a good twice as many as last time. There are even different building skins now so you can make a whole proper town! Not just door skins but entire new wall material!

I will certainly have to take a couple weeks at least off life at some point in the next few months to go through a couple Rust wipes.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Uberust