default header

Uberust

Let's gift BSE copies of Rust

Moderator: JC Denton

Let's gift BSE copies of Rust

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Sep 2017 19:02

I got a quick solution for enlisting a second clan, that's also a very good and reliable clan.

BSE leader Diskraip told me that he might be interested in playing Rust with us, and his clan generally plays FPSes, on top of being absolutely awesome at RTSes, so I think all we need to do to get them in is send them copies of the game, and then arrange to play some day on PUBLIC servers, because that's the best way for them to experience all the cool stuff that can happen in Rust in a server with hundreds of players. OUR server will only have a few players at first, plus with the permadeath it will be hard to tech up, so if they come straight to our server they won't be exposed to all the game's best features right away, and might get a bad impression of the game.

On G2A, Russia-exclusive copies of Rust go for a measly 5-6 euros [ > ], and there are 4-5 BSE players in all that might be interested in this, so how about we each buy one copy for them, and then arrange some time for our clans to enter a public server IN ALLIANCE? We can have separate, but nearby and allied bases. How about it?

I am willing to buy a copy. If four more people are willing, we are in business.

And I think if we can convince BSE, pXs will be next, and BRN after that probably, and then maybe dan's friends. And at that point we can start inviting one of the dozens of clans in the Rust Steam forum, and voila: mission accomplished. I am really excited about the possibilities!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 11 Sep 2017 19:47

Count me in!
Some guy

Unread postby Robomoo » 11 Sep 2017 21:28

Yeah, me too.
Robomoo

Unread postby recoil » 12 Sep 2017 00:17

I'll get the last two.
recoil

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2017 01:12

I got all the keys/gift links except Rory's. Until he sends it, let me explain a couple more things about how I see this experiment here.

My copy of Rust cost me just over 8 euros, and I have so far played 149 hours with it, and will no doubt go on to play hundreds more, if not thousands. I would easily pay full price for this game, if not indeed hundreds of euros, considering I have spent upwards of $1000 on PCBs like Cave's for games that I have played a fraction of the time. So at the very least I wouldn't mind paying $40 or $50 for Rust, which means I could easily have bought all the BSE guys gift copies on my own. And I am sure your money will be better used here too, rather than stocking up on yet more random games on Steam on sale that you will never realistically get to play.

I am saying this because there is a good chance that the BSE guys will not like the game. They will probably play it with us, because we are practically strangers and yet gifting them a game, so it would be rude of them to not bother to play it at all with us, but there is no guarantee they will like it to the extent of playing it on our server every week in our super-hardcore modded version of it. In which case we'll have to repeat the procedure for pXs, and hope they like it more (perhaps with other people buying the gift copies this time), and then after that with BRN and dan's friends, before turning to the clans in the Steam forum. So I think this will come to 50-100 euros in total, which I believe that divided among us, even unevenly, amounts to essentially peanuts considering how little money we have invested on our own copies, and how much we are investing every month on our server to run it.

Now, the reason I am not going straight to the Steam forum is because it would be very helpful for the first few weeks to have a couple of clans with us whom we sort of know and respect and can trust to show up on time and co-operate with us properly and generally behave well. It will make all the early experimentation that much easier and smoother and quicker. And then when the time comes to open the floodgates to the huge number of clans of the Steam forum, we will have developed our server and site and game mode and event to the point where the chaos these "random clans" will introduce won't cause our entire effort to collapse under the strain.

So, I am sending the keys soon after I get Rory's, but please keep your expectations low, and prepare to not be discouraged if this first stab in the dark proves fruitless. We'll get where we want to be if we stick with this long enough, I have no doubt about it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2017 14:33

This is the message I sent (gift links redacted):

I wrote:Hey man, me and my friends got you 5 copies of Rust for you and your friends, to try out the game with us if you want:
[Link redacted]
[Link redacted]
[Link redacted]
[Link redacted]
[Link redacted]
If more of your friends want to try it, let me know and we'll get you more copies
Would you like to play with us this Saturday after Clan Wars?
We can enter one of the bigger public servers, that hosts 400-500 people, and play as an alliance, with 5-6 CULT players and 5 BSE ones (edited)
We can make separate but nearby and allied bases
You would need at least 5 hours to really enjoy the game, because if you only play 1-2 hours you can't achieve anything
So if you have 5+ hours this Saturday after Clan Wars, let's play
If you are busy, maybe some other Saturday?
Let me know what you think
My friends are very excited to try this with you

Fingers crossed!
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2017 14:36

Too bad THM is not with us anymore. Or Kirill for that matter. They would have loved liaising with the Russians for us... :(

Even chevvy could have since he is of Russian descent and speaks the language a little. But he hasn't logged into Steam in months, and I can't seem to reach him by any means.

And all of them love and would have loved the game, if they had tried it.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Sep 2017 16:47

By the way, when you buy these gift links, don't click on them because it will add the gift to your inventory. I messed mine up, and had to buy a second one.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Sep 2017 02:27

Diskraip wrote:Thanks for it. I told about your suggestion to my mates. And if we will decide that we will not play in Rust, give this copies of Rust to other people. And one more thanks. If we decide to play, I'll write to you when we can.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Kojiero » 13 Sep 2017 19:53

I can cover for a few people if anyone else still needs a copy.
Kojiero

Unread postby icycalm » 22 Sep 2017 02:13

BSE declined the offer. It's too late to plan anything for this Saturday, but we are going to change tack from next week. Watch this space.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Uberust