default header

Battlegrounds

Past RPG experience (including CRPGs, novels, etc.)

Moderator: JC Denton

Past RPG experience (including CRPGs, novels, etc.)

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Jan 2015 19:19

I'd like everyone to post a list of all the officially licensed D&D adventures they've played (or run, or merely read, if you have been a DM), novels they've read or CRPGs they've played. This is because many adventures exist across different product forms. Pool of Radiance is a CRPG, but it's also a pen and paper adventure. Shadowtale, Tantras and Waterdeep are pen and paper adventures, but also novels.

We are only talking Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and Planescape, for the time being. [Update: Scratch that, I want your whole history of D&D/Pathfinder now.]

If someone has played, or run, or read, an adventure I want to play, I will either remove it entirely from the campaign, or I will insert it at a time when that player is taking some time off the game for whatever reason. I just want to know what you know, so I can plan accordingly.

I am also going to use this thread to recommend computer games and novels, both as a means to expand your knowledge of D&D outside our gaming sessions, and to give you a substitute if you really want to play more but can't get enough from our weekly or bi-weekly sessions. God knows that's what I've been doing myself for the last 20 or so years. Here is a list of Forgotten Realms novels, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... lms_novels
Last edited by icycalm on 10 Jan 2021 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Hanged Man » 09 Jan 2015 19:41

My D&D experience is limited to CRPGs: Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights series.
Hanged Man

Unread postby recoil » 09 Jan 2015 19:58

I have no experience with officially licensed D&D adventures.
recoil

Unread postby jeffrobot494 » 09 Jan 2015 20:03

I played through part of a 4th edition adventure called Keep on the Shadowfell. I've played about half of Baldur's Gate 1. I played a few hours of Planescape: Torment.
jeffrobot494

Unread postby Some guy » 09 Jan 2015 20:33

I've completed Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
Some guy

Unread postby Steven Berg » 09 Jan 2015 20:36

I've played Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, and a few hours of Icewind Dale.

The only official adventures for Forgotten Realms and Planescape that I know I've played, run or read are Under Illefarn and The Eternal Boundary. It's also possible I played in some other adventures many years ago without being aware they were official adventures, but I don't think any of them would have been Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft or Planescape.
Steven Berg

Unread postby danjiro » 09 Jan 2015 20:44

All this prepping for D&D Battlegrounds has reminded me of a bunch of modules and adventures I've run (and some I've played). So I've updated this with what I remember so far:

Generic or multiple settings
Adventures
  • Dragon Mountain
  • The Gates of Firestorm Peak
  • The Rod of Seven Parts
  • Die Vecna Die!
  • The Sunless Citadel
  • The Forge of Fury
  • The Speaker in Dreams
  • Lord of the Iron Fortress

Greyhawk
Adventures
  • Against the Giants: The Liberation of Geoff
  • Return to Keep on the Borderlands
  • Return to the Tomb of Horrors
  • Return to White Plume Mountain
  • Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Dragonlance
Adventures
  • Dragonlance Classics 1
  • Dragonlance Classics 2
  • Dragonlance Classics 3
Novels
  • Chronicles Trilogy
  • Legends Trilogy
  • Preludes Series
  • The Legend of Huma
  • Kaz the Minotaur

Forgotten Realms
Adventures
  • Ruins of Adventure
  • Curse of the Azure Bonds
  • Doom of Daggerdale
  • Four from Cormyr
  • Hordes of Dragonspear
  • For Duty and Deity
  • Menzoberranzan
  • City of the Spider Queen
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen
  • The Rise of Tiamat
  • Princes of the Apocalypse
CRPGs
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Eye of the Beholder II
  • Eye of the Beholder III
  • Unlimited Adventures
  • Menzoberranzan
Novels
  • The Cleric Quintet
  • The Dark Elf Trilogy
  • The Icewind Dale Trilogy
  • Legacy of the Drow Series

Al-Qadim
CRPGs
  • Genie's Curse

Ravenloft
Adventures
  • The Created
  • Night of the Walking Dead
  • Feast of Goblyns
  • House of Strahd
  • Curse of Strahd
CRPGs
  • Strahd's Possession
  • Stone Prophet
Novels
  • Vampire of the Mists
  • Tapestry of Dark Souls
  • Tales of Ravenloft

Dark Sun
Adventures
  • Freedom
CRPGs
  • Shattered Lands
  • Wake of the Ravager

Spelljammer
Adventures
  • Wildspace
Novels
  • Beyond the Moons
  • Into the Void
  • The Broken Sphere

Planescape
Adventures
  • The Eternal Boundary
  • Well of Worlds
  • Tales from the Infinite Staircase
  • The Great Modron March
  • Hellbound: The Blood War
  • Dead Gods
  • Faction War
CRPGs
    Torment

I'm sure there are some I've missed. I'll update this as I remember more.
Last edited by danjiro on 10 Dec 2020 04:24, edited 2 times in total.
danjiro

Unread postby schadenfreude » 09 Dec 2020 16:23

It's been over 14 years since I played or read any of this stuff, so my memory of everything is very fuzzy.

Adventures:
  • Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Game (3rd edition)

CRPGs:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Icewind Dale
  • Planescape: Torment

Novels:
  • The Icewind Dale Trilogy
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight
schadenfreude

Unread postby shock therapy » 16 Dec 2020 23:48

I have experience with Pathfinder.

Adventure Paths:
  • Skull & Shackles
  • Kingmaker

When I was introduced to the game I played a couple of short standalone adventures as well, but I don't remember the names. I think they must have been from the Pathfinder Society series.
shock therapy

Unread postby Jameson » 17 Dec 2020 04:32

My experience is limited to CRPGs.

• Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate II
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Pool of Radiance

I have only finished Baldur's Gate.
Jameson

Unread postby Beakman » 17 Dec 2020 14:55

My experience so far is with CRPGs only. I've recently played Planescape: Torment and a few hours of Baldur's Gate.

I've checked out the Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights series, but just barely.

Apart from the settings that this thread is focused on, I finished and wholeheartedly recommend The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk) with the Circle of Eight and Temple+ mods (which introduce a bunch of bugfixes, essentially). I'm currently going through a playthrough of Pathfinder: Kingmaker (is Golarion the setting?) which is even better than ToEE so far.
Last edited by Beakman on 17 Dec 2020 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Beakman

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Dec 2020 15:14

When I said we're only talking about Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft and Planescape, it was 2015. Now I should note that I want all your D&D prior history.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby shubn » 17 Dec 2020 15:20

My CRPG experience: I played through Planescape: Torment roughly ten years ago, and a couple of hours of Neverwinter Nights and The Temple of Elemental Evil.
shubn

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Jun 2021 10:54

I just posted something in the Hardware forum that should be reposted here, and then I’ll provide a clarification on it: http://culture.vg/forum/topic?t=7435

I wrote:These days I don’t recommend anyone bother playing isometric CRPGs in co-op because it’s a giant waste of time when you could be playing real D&D via VTTs instead, and I especially don’t recommend you play adaptations of TTRPG material like the Pathfinder games when you could be playing their VTT versions instead. However, for those who have definitively decided they will never play real D&D, the above option is the best for you and totally worth the effort. It’s the closest you can get to D&D.

For people playing in my Battlegrounds I recommend playing isometric WRPGs on your own at times when we just can’t schedule real D&D for some reason (like the past few months for example). However, when it comes to official adaptations like the Pathfinder games, I recommend not playing those at all until they’ve been unlocked in Battlegrounds and some group has finished them. That still leaves a lot of material for you to play right now if you want. I should make a list of it. The Original Sin games come easily to mind, as does the entire Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale series, and also Torment, and many others.

Off the top of my head, the adapted official adventures you should stay away from until it is unlocked and played in Battlegrounds are as follows:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Pool of Radiance

Unfortunately, these also tend to be the best lol. The rest have terrible plots, with Torment being the exception because it was written by TTRPG folk, not programmers.

Obviously if some people can’t help themselves and decide to play something like Owlcat’s Kingmaker before it is unlocked and played in Battlegrounds, we can still roll with that. It’s just that you won’t be allowed in the group that plays that campaign. And if your group picks it, we’ll shuffle you to another group. With 16 players currently it won’t be a problem if a few of them decide to play some of the “forbidden” videogames early. Just let me know in this thread so I can plan ahead how to deal with it. Same goes for consuming pretty much any kind of official D&D content that I haven’t given you. As long as you declare it in this thread, I should always be able to find a solution. So feel free to keep your posts updated and also bump the thread every time you update, so I know what’s changed.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Jun 2021 10:58

Actually, instead of updating your old posts it’s better to just make a new post when you play or read something. I’ll lock the old posts so there’s no confusion.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 17 Jun 2021 14:29

My experience:

Adventures:
  • Hoard of the Dragon Queen
  • Princes of the Apocalypse

CRPGs:

I've also started Kingmaker but I haven't gotten very far into it, just finishing the prologue. I think this was before I knew we would be using Pathfinder otherwise I never would have started it lol. I've also seen the Dungeons & Dragons movie from the year 2000, no idea if that's based on anything.
ChevRage

Unread postby icycalm » 17 Jun 2021 14:35

Beakman has also played a bit of Kingmaker. Considering it will be years before any group gets to it in Battlegrounds, neither of you will remember anything if you stop playing now. However, if either of you want to continue, that's no problem at all. We have four groups, and only one group can play it, and we can easily arrange for you two to not be in that group. There's plenty of other cool stuff for you to play in Battlegrounds. Just keep us posted here on what you decide to do (and you can also change your mind later, again as long as you keep us posted).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ChevRage » 17 Jun 2021 14:42

There's no way I'm continuing it while the prospect of playing it in Battlegrounds is on the table.
ChevRage

Unread postby Robomoo » 25 Nov 2021 20:48

I'm thinking of reading Jade Regent, because I want to see what reading an adventure is like and China stuff interests me the least of all settings, so I doubt I'll ever play it. Would that be ok in terms of spoilers for our campaign?
Robomoo

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Nov 2021 03:30

If you want to read an adventure, why not read one of the ones the other groups are playing? You'll certainly never play those. Well, almost certainly, unless you have to join them. Or help them out. Or unless you enjoy following them on Twitch etc. So yeah, it's best to not read those.

In any case, Jade Regent is unlocked through Rise of the Runelords. So it certainly has spoilers for that. I am not sure how major they are, but they are there.

If China stuff doesn't interest you, why would you want to read 600 pages of China stuff?

The thing is, it's not 600 pages of China stuff. I don't want to say more because it is a really cool campaign and I don't want to spoil it for the others.

If all you want to do is "see what an adventure looks like", why not grab one from some other world? Grab a 5E Forgotten Realms adventure. 5E means Season 5. It means to play this, we must have first cleared all previous seasons. It will take us a decade to get there, and even then probably only if we get more groups. So if you opened say Rime of the Frostmaiden, and read a few chapters, you wouldn't remember anything in a decade anyway. But I bet anything you want you'd barely read ten pages. These books aren't meant to be read. There are a few weirdoes who read them cover to cover, but I could never bring myself to do it even though I love them.

If you want to simply spend time immersed in the Pathfinder setting beyond what we are playing, that's what the novels are for. And tons and tons of short stories and web fiction, not to mention thousands of pages of lore, all of which I will soon start dumping on the overworld. If you give me a bit more time I will give you more stuff to read than you have time to read. And that's without even counting the rulebooks. Have you even read through the "Core Rulebook" yet?

The above are my thoughts on the issue. People are free to read whatever they want, and I will keep advising them. No one has to take my advice. Ask me more questions if you have any.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Nov 2021 09:41

I’ll try to describe what it’s like reading adventures and explain why I find it boring. Imagine reading a James Bond novel but instead of telling you what Bond does it merely describes all the locations of the novel, gives the motivations of the villains and Bond’s allies, and exhaustive technical details on everyone’s physical and mental skills. There’s no ACTION in it because there’s no BOND in it. That’s why I can’t be bothered to read adventures if I am not playing. If I AM playing the adventure, however, it’s tremendous fun reading it. With every scene, every challenge I come across I wonder how my players will react to them. My brain is working overtime to figure out how to stage the scene for maximum drama, while trying to predict how the players will deal with it and what the response of the NPCs will be to each scenario. And then of course I run the adventure and every moment, every die roll and every line are a nailbiter—if you’re running a good adventure of course, and if you’re running it well. And when things veer off script that’s even more exciting and challenging for me. I have no idea where things will go from there and need to prepare for every eventuality, many of which are thrilling.

None of this exists in the books. The books contain a magnificent scaffolding, which however is depressing, to me at least, if it’s not worked on and built in and brought to life.

By all means, read some adventures and figure all this out yourself, but try to stay away from Pathfinder ones because there are spoilers everywhere. It’s a very tightly-knit world: that’s its main appeal.

Read the Planescape adventure Dead Gods. Planescape adventures in general are so convoluted you won’t remember anything the next week. Read Faction War, again Planescape. You won’t even make it past the faction descriptions. If you want old school classic format, read a bit of Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk). Or try Dark Sun Dragon’s Crown. shubn can get you any of this stuff you want.

Out of sheer curiosity I’d like to take a look at the just released 5E adventure The Wild Beyond the Witchlight. It’s supposed to have minimal combat or weird scenes or some shit. Very avant-garde, apparently. But still I wouldn’t properly read it. I’d just skim ten pages to get an idea.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Robomoo » 01 Dec 2021 22:26

I started reading Rime of the Frostmaiden which pretty much satisfied my curiosity, thanks for the tip. I wouldn't want to read the whole thing like a novel but it's interesting to get an idea of how an adventure is structured and the level of detail that the writer includes.

I don't dislike China stuff exactly, I expect I'd even enjoy playing a campaign in that setting, it would just probably be my last pick among the Pathfinder campaigns.

And yeah I've read most of the Core Rulebook. I'd really like to read some Pathfinder novels once they're on the overworld.
Robomoo

Re: Your past D&D experience (including CRPGs and novels)

Unread postby Saf » 09 Dec 2021 01:35

Adventures:
D&D 5E
  • Lost Mines of Phandelver
  • Storm King's Thunder
  • Out of the Abyss
  • Tomb of Annihilation
  • Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden
  • The Sunless Citadel (rules conversion of 3E module in Tales from the Yawning Portal)

Pathfinder
  • Jade Regent (we never actually started it, but we made characters and our DM told us a little about the adventure)

CRPGs:
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Icewind Dale
  • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Novels:
  • The Ring of Winter
  • The Dark Elf Trilogy
Saf

Unread postby leccosta » 09 Jan 2022 16:57

CRPGs:
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Planescape: Torment
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2

I played but didn't finish these:
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
leccosta

Unread postby ChevRage » 04 May 2022 21:01

I've also run Lost Mines of Phandelver from 5E, not sure why I forgot to mention it before.
ChevRage

Return to Battlegrounds