default header

Ultimate Edition

Ultimate Procreation

Moderator: JC Denton

Ultimate Procreation

Unread postby Ciaróg » 07 Sep 2020 02:55

As mentioned in the last Patreon article about the Ultimate Edition [ > ], there will be a succession mechanic in Battlegrounds. There will be some fine tuning to how this is handled in game. Dark Sun muls for example are infertile due to not being a true species but rather the infertile offspring of a human and dwarf pairing. icy suggested an adoption mechanic for infertile characters but this has not been set in stone as of yet and he is open to suggestions while he is still tinkering with this stuff so if anyone has any ideas now is the time to chime in. From the D&D1 Discord channel:

icycalm wrote:You see how these new mechanics will make previously meaningless choices very meaningful
No one cared about sterility before
In medieval times, for powerful people especially, it was a big thing

I can't wait to see what the added complexity here ends up bringing about. There may be advantages to different players on the same team playing different races so they are competing for different resources, there is only one most desirable female human per planet but that is of little concern to a gnome or a dog after all. There may also be something to be said for wearing some extra padding down there for male characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAFMC2O9dQ
Ciaróg

Unread postby Some guy » 07 Sep 2020 08:14

Well in reality it is rare but possible for hybrids to be fertile, a mule can occasionally have offspring with a horse for example. So what we could do is roll to see if a mul is a rare exception and then they could mate with other humans, dwarves etc. or maybe other muls that are themselves rare exceptions. Then we'd have to decide if the kids would be half mul, half whatever or just fully mul or fully human. Using mules, donkeys and horses as an example again mules seem to only be able to give birth to horses and donkeys, not more mules.

Something else that popped into my head was the possibility of kidnap and rape for evil and neutral characters. Once a group has a stronghold I see no reason why one or more of us couldn't just impregnate and marry a woman by force then keep her in the fort raising kids. We could even have multiple wives and many kids and pick from the best of them whenever our character dies. Of course there would be consequences e.g. the families of the women taking revenge, the locals refusing to associate with us, the women escaping if they have the right spells or skills and so on.
Some guy

Unread postby ChevRage » 07 Sep 2020 08:38

This is in a universe where magic has crazy and, well, magically complex effects, so I doubt it's outside of the realm of possibility for a mul to have children eventually. Especially at the higher levels.

Of course the DM has final say in all that happens, I am just saying that infertility might not be as much of a deal-breaker as it initially might seem when selecting a race.
ChevRage

Unread postby dinopoke » 07 Sep 2020 10:31

Some guy wrote:Something else that popped into my head was the possibility of kidnap and rape for evil and neutral characters. Once a group has a stronghold I see no reason why one or more of us couldn't just impregnate and marry a woman by force then keep her in the fort raising kids. We could even have multiple wives and many kids and pick from the best of them whenever our character dies. Of course there would be consequences e.g. the families of the women taking revenge, the locals refusing to associate with us, the women escaping if they have the right spells or skills and so on.

Going off this idea, if your character is sterile and finds a suitable wife who is already in a family, maybe you could kill the husband and take ownership of the family by force. You could choose one of the children to be your heir, like some sort of bastard son, but he will always have some sort of resentment against you and may take revenge when the time is right.
dinopoke

Return to Ultimate Edition