default header

Ultimate Edition

Alex Kierkegaard's Ultimate Edition (UE)

Moderator: JC Denton

Alex Kierkegaard's Ultimate Edition (UE)

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Sep 2020 18:09

Read the intro to the project here:

Introducing Alex Kierkegaard's Dungeons & Dragons: Ultimate Edition (UE)
https://www.patreon.com/posts/41308859

The rules will be devised, discussed and explained in various threads in this forum, and I will be adding a section to the Battlegrounds site where you'll be able to click on chapter headings as if reading the Player's Handbook, and get sent to the respective threads here. Battlegrounds is my personally curated universe, and Ultimate Edition is the ruleset powering it. People are free to clone either for their own campaigns, or they can join mine by signing up by posting in the comments of this post: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41042906
Last edited by icycalm on 28 Dec 2020 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

The Ultimate Goal of Ultimate Edition

Unread postby icycalm » 07 Sep 2020 18:32

Let me be clear of what my ultimate goal is with this project.

My goal is for Ultimate Edition to be a videogame some day, just like there are many videogames for 1st Edition, and 2nd Edition, and 3rd Edition, etc. I think Baldur's Gate 3 will be 5E, if I am not mistaken.

So really, what we are doing here is designing the rules for a future videogame. It probably hadn't crossed the minds of Gygax and Arneson in the '70s that their rules would one day be digitally adapted, but it happened, and now we know it happens if the design is good enough. And this design will be the best ever. So when I talk about a They Are Billions phase in the Empire phase, I can very easily see it playing out in TaleSpire if they added fighting animations and AI for the "zombies". Then the game would not have to be turn-based since the DM would no longer need to move every single individual enemy by hand, and the players could be left to fend for themselves and their domains in real-time, issuing generic orders to their NPCs as in the Kingdom Under Fire games. Then the DM would be freed from the micromanagement of every single enemy so that, while the players are fighting their epic fight, he could modulate the numbers of the attackers and the direction of their attacks etc., sort of like playing an RTT against the players. And THAT'S how we would finally get the "AI director" of Left 4 Dead, but with a super-intelligent human in control instead of a dumb AI. Real-time improvisational theatre direction... That's the future of multiplayer role-playing, from where I am standing, and my D&D Ultimate and Battlegrounds projects will be at the center of that.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jun 2021 15:13

Gary’s son wants to publish “the next great incarnation of gaming”.

I have it. It’s Ultimate Edition. I can replace all the references to D&D with “that game that shall not be named”, as Paizo does, and they can publish it. They’ve already been canceled lol, what do they have to lose? Though I think if they published me they could conceivably be attacked in the street and even jailed.

I don’t understand though why we can’t even mention D&D in a book? I can mention Final Fantasy and Apple and James Bond, but not D&D? How does that make any sense?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jun 2021 16:23

I made this temporarily public and sent it to them: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41275218

I told them this is the single best piece of writing on role-playing that will ever be written and that it would be my honor to have the TSR logo on my book. I would call the game simply “Ultimate Edition”. People will know what I mean. I told them this.

I don’t expect anything, but it was worth a try.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Aug 2021 00:55

The Next Three Months
https://www.patreon.com/posts/55216848

icycalm wrote:Above all, I'll be devoting the next three months to my Ultimate Edition and Battlegrounds projects (UE is the ruleset, and BG is the world, nota bene; i.e. my personal implementation of the ruleset). We're are resuming sessions this weekend with groups 1 (on Saturday with me as DM), and 3 (on Sunday with dan), and this time we ain't stopping or even so much as taking a break. We've played 25 hours so far, and by the end of the year I expect we'll be at 200 or more, and the overworld will be a thing of wonder: you will never have seen such richness and depth in an overworld before, and Middle Earth and Westeros will seem to you pathetic in comparison, mark my words. This is now the number 1 priority in my life, and when I make something my top priority, look out world: I've never failed at anything that I've chased so zealously. I guess there's a first time for everything, and the possibility exists that I may fail miserably at this, and render all my grandiose plans and words ridiculous; but if I were a betting man I wouldn't bet against me, and I am a betting man. It's just a bad bet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Alex Kierkegaard's Ultimate Edition (UE)

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Dec 2021 18:28

https://www.patreon.com/posts/60328015

icycalm wrote:

And we have a cover

Chapters coming next week:

• Ultimate Player
  • Quantum Difficulty / Ultimate Difficulty
  • Master of Heroes

The world isn't ready for them.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
icycalm
Hyperborean