default header

Ultimate Edition

UE Spell Components (PF1)

Moderator: JC Denton

UE Spell Components (PF1)

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Apr 2022 18:44

So far, we haven’t been using spell component rules in Battlegrounds. That’s partly because in 2E that I am familiar with, spell components were optional and I never used them (except in cases were the component was super-rare or super-expensive) and partly to make combat easier for us to run while we were novices. Starting from next weekend though, spell components become mandatory, and spellcasters in all Battegrounds campaigns will no longer be able to cast spells without them. In fact we’ll go even further and count all spells cast in the game so far by reviewing chatlogs and retroactively charging spellcasters for the components. So this is what you need to do if you’re playing a spellcaster:

1. Give me a list of all spells you have cast so far so I can charge your character for their material components,

2. Review all spell component rules in the PF1 “Core Rulebook” so you know how everything works, and finally

3. Decide how much of each component you want your character to have purchased from the beginning of the game so I can charge you for them and you can get them in your inventory.

You might also want to think ahead to higher-level spells you intend to learn so you can purchase their components in advance because if you level away from a marketplace or component shop you won’t be able to cast those spells.

P.S. It’s not just wizards and clerics that cast spells. Check to see if your class gives spells at higher levels.

P.P.S. Some characters have participated in two campaigns so far, so check both campaigns’ chatlogs to find the spells they’ve cast.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Spell Components

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Apr 2022 18:59

As for why I am adding components now, even though I never did in the ‘90s and never missed them... I just realized that they enrich the game a lot. Now spellcasters—of which each party has at least two—will have one more order of business to accomplish in towns and population centers, and it will make urban visits more complex and interesting. And as the game progresses and components become rarer and more expensive at higher levels, acquiring these components will almost reach the level of a side-adventure. Not to mention the added drama if the caster loses his components, or they are stolen, or he gets imprisoned and can no longer cast spells. And of course they also make combat itself more complex, especially in the case of verbal components when in a silenced area etc.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Apr 2022 19:04

Note that no CRPG has ever had spell components. It’s an extremely easy aspect for them to add, and computers are perfect at keeping track of such things—it’s much easier for them than for humans—and yet no traditional “artificially stupid” videogame has ever done it. Why? Because programmers are stupid and probably haven’t even bothered to read the rulebook of the game they are simulating.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 10 Apr 2022 19:19

So far I have used Detect Magic, Daze, Resistance, Cause Fear, Acid Splash and Magic Missile. All of them require verbal and somatic components and the only ones that require material components are Resistance (a miniature cloak) and Daze (a pinch of wool or a similar substance). Resistance was cast once so I'm fine with having had just one mini cloak. As for bits of wool, this is what the rulebook says about negligible materials on page 213:

Some guy

Unread postby Archonus » 11 Apr 2022 00:17

Arco has casted Guidance and Shillelagh so far. Both use verbal and somatic components and Shillelagh requires a divine focus as well as the oak club or staff it is being casted on. Arco uses a bundle of holly and mistletoe as a druidic divine focus.
Archonus

Unread postby ChevRage » 11 Apr 2022 08:44

So far Edward has cast Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Daze, Prestidigitation and Magic Missile. Of which only Daze has needed a material component (a pinch of wool or a similar substance). However, sorcerers get a bonus feat called Eschew Materials at character creation (page 71, Pathfinder Core Rulebook) which allows them to cast spells that require minor material components without actually needing them.

The description of Eschew Materials (page 123, Pathfinder Core Rulebook):

ChevRage

Unread postby shock therapy » 11 Apr 2022 17:18

Martus has cast Divine Favor, Cure Light Wounds, Detect Magic and Light, none of which require a material component for the divine version of the spell. Divine Favor and Light both require a divine focus, for which Martus has his holy symbol.
shock therapy

Unread postby Jameson » 11 Apr 2022 20:28

Matthias has cast Magic Missile and Detect Magic. Neither requires a material component.
Jameson

Unread postby ysignal » 11 Apr 2022 23:12

Addison hasn't cast any spells yet.
ysignal

Unread postby schadenfreude » 12 Apr 2022 07:10

Jubal has cast Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, and Grease, which is the only spell of the three with a material component: butter.
schadenfreude

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Apr 2022 00:51

I suppose the butter counts as a minor component. Or does it? And how are you supposed to carry around butter in a pouch in Azlant?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Some guy » 13 Apr 2022 22:19

I've been skimming through the spell list and some of the required components seem... odd. To cast Obscure Object you need chameleon skin which I guess you could get from any magic shop or jungle but what if you're playing an arctic wilderness campaign? Does Golarion have arctic chameleons? Hideous Laughter requires tiny fruit tarts and a feather. The feather is simple but where are you gonna get fruit tarts in Azlant? Neither of these components have a listed price but it seems ridiculous that we can just assume a wizard will always have enough fruit tarts in his spell pouch, even in the middle of the desert or something. Speaking of deserts, what if a spell requires some ice? How are you gonna preserve that? Has this been brought up on the Paizo forums?
Some guy

Unread postby Beakman » 14 Apr 2022 13:44

So far Shadrick has cast Cure Light Wounds, Light, Cause Fear and Stabilize, none of which require material components. Light requires divine focus as provided by a holy symbol. Without it, the spell does require a material component (a firefly).

I never mentioned I had a holy symbol for my deity (Gorum). Would it be fine to assume I had it from the beginning?

As a side note, I'm unsure how bad it would handicap me, but now down along the line I kind of want to become an atheist priest that throws his holy symbol away to spite the deities, forcing myself to use material components in order to replace divine focus, lol. The inclusion of spell components definitely makes such a decision much more interesting.
Beakman

Return to Ultimate Edition