default header

Battlegrounds

Streaming and videos

Moderator: JC Denton

Streaming and videos

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2021 09:52

There is now a YouTube playlist with all our Battlegrounds videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PWcT9Qpixx

It can also be accessed from the frontpage of the Insomnia YouTube channel, below the 1CC playlist: https://www.youtube.com/user/insomniacult

Another thing to note is that we'll be switching our streaming from the Twitch Dungeons & Dragons category to the Pathfinder category. YouTube on the other hand has neither of the categories, nor even a generic tabletop RPG category (not that Battlegrounds is tabletop, I am just sayin'), so when our videos hit YouTube they'll be uncategorized there, until YouTube wakes up and adds these categories.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 10 Jan 2021 23:38

So far we've been using the Discord status "Playing Pathfinder: War for the Crown - Crownfall" etc., when playing D&D. From now on, we'll be using just "Playing War for the Crown: Crownfall" etc.

I am doing this to underscore the point that these are videogames. When you play Baldur's Gate, you don't tell people that you're playing "Forgotten Realms: Baldur's Gate", you're just playing Baldur's Gate. And in the same vein, we're just playing Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, and War for the Crown.

I am trying to drive home to people that this stuff is not something different and alien to videogames. It used to be, but it's not anymore, and hasn't been since 2004, which is why Fantasy Grounds is Videogame Art.

This stuff is videogames.

Yes, it REQUIRES a team to play, but you want to role-play, right? You can't role-play six characters simultaneously, not even if you're schizophrenic (even they usually don't have that many personalities), so get off the fake RPGs and play the real ones, if you are really interested in role-playing.

I'll talk about all this at length in further installments of Role-playing Culture, and also in my upcoming essay, "Videogame Art: Fantasy Grounds (2004)".
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Aug 2021 16:00

Alex Kierkegaard's Battlegrounds
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PWcT9Qpixx

The two streams from this weekend's Curse of the Crimson Throne game are up, and they are quite different because Ciaróg and ysignal ended up in different locations near the end. This means that if you want to see ysignal's fatal battle with the spiders, you can only watch it on his stream, not Ciaróg's. At first, I had decided to only export and save one stream per session, but now that I've seen this I want as many streams as possible, and will save all of them as long as they meet the minimum stream requirements for D&D (1080p60 or 1080p30, and good sound balance).

The line-of-sight (LOS) in Fantasy Grounds makes a HUGE difference here. It's the only reason the two Saturday streams ended up showing different things.

A session needs at least one stream to be valid. A group can't play unless one person is streaming.

That's why we need extensive testing before, to make sure that one stream works.

I would feel more secure with two streams as minimum. This means at least one of them will end up being usable. I would hate it to have a session without a stream saved.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Streaming and videos

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Sep 2021 07:50

A quick FYI for those checking the streams we produce.

When we export them to YouTube, they are originally in low res because YT takes some hours to process the HD versions. And the longer the video, the longer it takes. It can typically take as long as the video's duration, so a seven-hour video might take seven hours or more to appear in HD on YouTube. Until then, the res is so low it's unwatchable, in which case you should go to Twitch and watch the saved broadcast (which Twitch deletes two weeks later).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Battlegrounds