default header

Battlegrounds

Battlegrounds mapmakers wanted!

Moderator: JC Denton

Battlegrounds mapmakers wanted!

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Mar 2022 03:17

Just so you know that Battlegrounds is already attracting attention, even so early in its life, here's an email I received recently from Germany.

Rick Kuhnert wrote:Hello,

I dont wanna waste your time so cut right to the chase. I have seen that you make a Rise of the Runelord Campaign and I am creating reworks for the Maps of the AP. I just wanted to ask you if you Intressted in using my content so I get a bit Advertisement. Book 1 - 3 are already completely finished. My Maps are Free to use for everyone and I have a Patreon where I just put the Maps without a Watermark and as ungridded Version.

I also added some examples.

greetings
Rick from Cean Maps

He sent me four map examples, all from Rise of the Runelords locations. I'll post here just one of them. It's not a big spoiler since it's quite further than we're at, and the players may not even go there. Just take a quick look at it to gauge the quality, don't study it or anything, if you're playing this campaign.

It's pretty cool, no? Imagine it with animated waves, which I can easily add now. And keep in mind it's 2048x1536 which is considerably higher than the official maps. This means you can zoom in quite a lot more without any pixelation. Combining this with high-res tokens it should feel like a higher-gen videogame than normal.

This is his Patreon; don't visit if you're playing in the Rise of the Runelords campaign, as it has spoilers. Everyone else can visit: https://www.patreon.com/Ceanmaps

My reply:

icycalm wrote:Hi, your maps are interesting, and in principle I'd like to use custom maps. A couple of things have been holding me back however. One is that the Fantasy Grounds DLC I buy has line-of-sight built-in. And the other thing is that maps by fans tend to not look so good aesthetically compared to official ones, or are often inconsistent. Like parts of one map may be great, and other parts aren't. Now these aesthetic issues are debatable and negotiable, however the line-of-sight issues are objective and I just can't see how to get around them. I am not prepared to add LOS to every map myself. I might some day, when I get comfortable and fast at it, but not for the foreseeable future. Problem is, even when I get there, I am not sure I'd be able to overcome the aesthetic issues. That said, your maps are well above the average of what I've seen so far, so I'll keep in touch and let you know if I decide to use them. Thanks for reaching out, and good luck with your work.

P.S. I would be MUCH more interested in maps that the official campaigns do NOT include. There are lots of buildings in Sandpoint that my players are going into that are not detailed in the adventure for example, and the same can be said about the other three campaigns I am running (Curse of the Crimson Throne, Ruins of Azlant and War for the Crown). In those cases I am not a big stickler for aesthetics simply because I have no other option lol, and the LOS issue goes away since a map without LOS is better than no map at all lol. So I would be very happy to collaborate with you on this, giving you in advance the locations I'll need, and then promoting your work heavily in my videos and on my websites and social media (I am about to start a Twitter for my campaigns, etc.) Let me know if that interests you. My players would be thrilled to have you onboard as our official mapmaker.

Note also that if you make additional maps like these, you can promote them in Paizo's forum, in the various Adventure Path subforums, and people there will be stoked to see them because most of the efforts people post are amateurish.

And his final reply:

Rick Kuhnert wrote:Hello,
Thank you but I must decline your offer cause I dont think I have the Time to create additional Maps without that the my Main Projekt suffers significat Time lose.
Still thank you for your Replie and your Time.

Have a nice Day

Bottom line is that some day we'll have a bunch of official Battlegrounds mapmakers making all our locations for us, first in 2D, then in 2.5D as in Beneos/Foundry and isometric 3D in TaleSpire, and finally in full 3D Unreal Engine or whatever. So whoever comes across this page and has the skill and talent and time and wants to help, get in touch with me and we'll make it happen.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Battlegrounds