default header

Battlegrounds

Book & asset purchases

Moderator: JC Denton

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Nov 2021 10:10

Bought ten more books, for a total of 37 bought today.

I think I spent about €700 overall. So the books actually cost €1,000-1,400 list price.

Now I have ALL the PF1 rulebooks published on Fantasy Grounds. There are more that haven't been converted yet, and I'll be getting them as soon as they are.

This means that even when an adventure features an obscure item from say "Ultimate Equipment", I'll have it to drop into your inventory immediately without trying to convert it myself.

Also, one of the Bestiaries I think it is has wizard familiars. So we'll see if we can find some that match the ones you've chosen, so we can get more accurate stats for them. I am not sure where dan got the stats for the familiars you have.

In short, we'll have a much richer game in tons of ways that I'll talk about in an upcoming UE chapter called "Ultimate Detail".
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 30 Nov 2021 00:25

Bought another 12 books. I must have spent about €1,000 today, which means at full retail it would cost somewhere between €1,500-2,000. A rough estimation would be that this is 1/5th of the material that exists for Pathfinder 1E (fraction could be way lower than that, but I'm being conservative, i.e. there's AT LEAST 5x more stuff than I have bought, but could be as high as 10x—almost none of which is on Fantasy Grounds yet). I.e. if you wanted to buy all of it at retail, you'd be looking at a €10,000 bill. Just for First Edition. And that's not even print. It's just Fantasy Grounds, plus they give you the PDFs on Paizo's site with that, which is nice of them. Print would cost more (and still more if you wanted the hardcovers that some books also come in), but it'd be next to useless over the internet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Dec 2021 19:06

Scooped up 15 more PF1 items, including some flip-mats, etc. The only PF1 FG items I lack now are four-five books that aren't on discount currently. I'll be on the lookout for those. I am also missing pretty much all the adventures except the ones we're running. I talked about those to Doug Davison who owns SmiteWorks. I've started frequenting and posting in the FG forum, and I'll be a regular visitor there now just like I am at Paizo. They are both great forums.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/s ... post628839

icycalm wrote:How about a PF1 Adventure Path Bundle? I want all of them. Any chance?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/s ... post628840

ddavison wrote:We might be able to assemble one in the future. I don't think it will be available in time to take advantage of any holiday sales though.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/s ... post628846

icycalm wrote:I would like to purchase this holiday, but it's mostly out of greed. I have enough to play as it is, so I'll hold out for a few months and see what you manage. Cheers.

When this bundle comes out, I'll buy it and then I'll have everything PF1 on FG. They convert at least a couple more things per month, so I'll be putting them all on my wishlist and purchasing during sales. I think at the rate they're going they should have everything in a few years. Meanwhile I think they have everything for PF2, and they convert new things within weeks of their print/PDF releases. Same with Starfinder. So basically within say five years they should have EVERYTHING released by Paizo, and I will own it all. Meanwhile Foundry and Astral still don't have a single proper PF book (just a few one-shots), and Roll20 has this: https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... /281/paizo

It's almost nothing if you consider it's spread across three games. Out of the four campaigns we're running they only have two (Rise of the Runelords and War for the Crown), and those plus Return of the Runelords are the ONLY PF1 campaigns they have, and it's obvious they've no plans to release more. FG meanwhile has almost all 24 of them, and they are working to convert the rest.

If you want to browse the Fantasy Grounds forum for news and tips on extensions etc., here's the PF1 subforum that I frequent: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/f ... st-Edition
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Apr 2022 17:30

Goddammit shoulda seen this before the first session of Azlant, woulda had a killer boat instead of the barebones one I found in the Azlant Paizo subforum. Oh well. I will be fully prepared next time this team, or any other, gets anywhere near water. There's so much killer stuff to buy on Fantasy Grounds in terms of art assets that I can spend half a day scrolling all of it and still not come to the end of it. What I need is some sort of labeling/priority system that's also linked to the campaigns we're currently running, so that I can have an idea of what to purchase and prepare first.

Fantasy Grounds - Meander's Map Pack: Shipstarter Ultimate Pack (Map Pack)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/9888 ... k_Map_Pack

Check out the screens: you can even put the boats on the combat tracker!

If you buy ALL the FG assets available, it'll run you in the thousands of dollars, but you'll get quite a ways towards a fully destructible and buildable world a la TaleSpire.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 02 May 2022 06:53

Bought the Shipstarter pack linked earlier, plus an official Paizo boat pack, check it out.

Fantasy Grounds - Pathfinder RPG - GameMastery Map Pack Boats and Ships
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1943 ... _and_Ships

Line-of-sight on everything, including the raft. Pretty cool. Paizo has published DOZENS of these map packs; they call them flip-mats and flip-tiles and normally they sell them in physical form so you can put them on your table, but SmiteWorks has recently started to convert them for Fantasy Grounds, and they've converted DOZENS of them in the last three-four months at $13-$20 a pop depending on how large and new they are. You can see the full list of 110 products on Paizo's site here (click on the "All Products (110)" tab, otherwise you'll only see the 7 preorder items): https://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/acce ... s/flipmats

Paizo wrote:A special coating on each Flip-Mat allows you to use wet erase, dry erase, AND permanent markers with ease! Removing permanent ink is easy—simply trace over any permanent mark with a dry erase marker, wait 10 seconds, then wipe off both marks with a dry cloth or paper towel. Each Flip-Mat measures 24" x 30" unfolded, and 8" x 10" folded.

I hope all of them get ported to FG, and I plan to buy all of them. Here for example is the Rusty Dragon Inn from Sandpoint:

Pathfinder Flip-Mat: The Rusty Dragon Inn
https://paizo.com/products/btq0217g?Pat ... Dragon-Inn

I think it's more detailed than what we're using now, which comes from the Sandpoint book. I can find the PDF pirated online and import it into Fantasy Grounds myself if they take too long to convert it officially.

Back to the Azlant campaign, I should now be ready for anything when the players decide to go in the water. I am now also looking for the Peregrine. It's a pretty large ship that carries dozens of passengers, so I am not sure the products I just bought will cover it. A tantalizing possibility is finding an ANIMATED ship, as in a full video file with waves crashing etc., and in that case we'll need to learn to use Foundry to use that. Check this out, it just released a month ago. If you only click on one link in this post, make it this.

Advanced Animated Dungeon Maps - SAILING SHIP battle maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADZNytuSH0

I just sign up to their Patreon, and we got it. I'd love to use it for the Peregrine, but I am not sure it's large enough. I'll have to do some research. We could be using this stuff VERY soon. Hopefully everyone's computers can handle Fantasy Grounds and Foundry side-by-side, plus streaming: exactly the way we'll be using TaleSpire. Fantasy Grounds is basically our combat engine, where we buy all the books. We'll use it for visualization too when necessary, but where possible we'll prefer animated video maps in Foundry or full-3D environments in TaleSpire.

Pretty much ALL my gaming money from now on will go into Battlegrounds. I'll still be buying the odd traditional game (Songs of Conquest next week, for example), but otherwise I expect to be putting thousands of dollars per year into Battlegrounds assets.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Re: Book & asset purchases

Unread postby icycalm » 01 Jul 2022 22:31

While everyone is gorging on Steam sales of games they probably won't play, I keep buying Fantasy Grounds DLC we will 100% use.

It's all naval stuff meant primarily for the Ruins of Azlant campaign, but don't worry, urban, rural and dungeon purchases are forthcoming.

What all this stuff does is basically turn Fantasy Grounds into 2D TaleSpire. If you buy EVERYTHING—and we're talking about thousands of dollars of DLC just for the mapmaking stuff, not the rulebooks or adventures—you basically have 2D TaleSpire where you can build just about anything, square by square. Here's an example from one of today's purchases:

I can now custom-build ships, or remove parts when they are damaged, or the players can add stuff on top of the basic design, like in Atlas. In fact you can't really do this in TaleSpire yet, as the naval assets aren't in, so this is even more advanced in this area.

Coastline building. And so on.

There are even Starfinder DLC with which you can build whole planets and fleets.

I will keep buying stuff and letting you know here.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 09 Dec 2022 11:14

I bought this, which just got converted for Fantasy Grounds for €19,50: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1446 ... ival_Guide

Make of it what you will :)

P.S. The Colin McComb credited on the cover is the same who worked on the Planescape setting and Torment.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 05 Jan 2023 23:35

Fantasy Grounds just converted the Rusty Dragon Inn flip-mat and I bought it asap!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2220 ... Dragon_Inn

Paizo wrote:WELCOME BACK!

Pathfinder Flip-Mat: The Rusty Dragon Inn features one of Pathfinder's most famous taverns--Sandpoint's own Rusty Dragon Inn! One map shows the ground floor of this beloved establishment, while the other depicts its upper floors, the basement, and nearby rooftops.

Get to the best parts of the game faster with Pathfinder Flip-Mat: The Rusty Dragon Inn, and be ready the next time the PCs stop by Sandpoint's oldest tavern and inn. It's time to break out the curried salmon and raspberry mead!

Much higher resolution and full line-of-sight built in! It should also make it easier for me to add lighting inside and weather effects outside. Not a bad deal for €14,79.

For those who don't know, the Rusty Dragon is where our Rise of the Runelords team has been staying at since the start of the game. Its proprietor is even shock therapy's sort-of girlfriend now. Who knows lol, maybe he'll even inherit it.

Our overworld just got a little richer and higher-res.

As for my other purchase... all I'll say is, watch the frontpage later today.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 11 Jul 2023 21:57

The Fantasy Grounds Dice Pack Bundle is 30% off for the next 44 hours: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2 ... ack_Bundle

I would appreciate if it you purchased it, if you can afford it. If you can't afford it, I'll buy it for you either this month or next month, depending on how many people can't afford it. If it's many, it will take me longer, but eventually everyone will have it.

Moreover, nearly all PF1 DLC on Steam is currently 50% off and I've loaded my cart with 320 euros worth of it. If you can afford to gift me some of these, please do so, and report the gift here immediately so it doesn't get double-gifted (though in that case I'll just decline the gift and you get a refund). Whatever isn't gifted I will purchase myself. Please note that we WILL be using ALL of this soon, and some of it immediately. You can almost tell which campaign each DLC is for just by reading the titles (though some of it is for a 5th campaign we will be starting shortly).

Finally, bear in mind that the above isn't even 10% of my Battlegrounds expenses for the next few months. Just sayin'. I just hope crypto goes up so I can afford everything I have planned.

icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby ysignal » 12 Jul 2023 01:59

I gifted everything in the cart. Let me know if I left anything out.
ysignal

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jul 2023 06:29

Thanks a lot man, it's a huge help. In addition to all the above, I also bought the following:

So in all we got about $1,000 worth of PF1 DLC for about $500. 62 items, to be exact (though a few of them aren't by Paizo; there are a couple of third-party PF1 supplements, and a couple generic token packs):

Here are two examples from the second batch that we'll be using immediately:

1. The next time anyone goes to a shop, they'll unlock the "Adventurer's Armory" that will finally let us see what your backpacks look like, among other things.

Fantasy Grounds - Pathfinder RPG - Pathfinder Player Companion: Adventurer's Armory
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2422 ... ers_Armory

2. If the Oppara crew manages to get out of the Senate, we now have shubn's manor in full line-of-sight for them to return to:

Fantasy Grounds - Pathfinder RPG - Pathfinder Flip-Mat - Noble Estate
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2162 ... ble_Estate

And by the way, none of the stuff we just bought was available on Fantasy Grounds a couple years ago when I spent a couple thousand dollars on PF1 DLC. All this stuff was converted in the meantime, and at the rate at which they're converting stuff I think all of PF1 will be available in a couple of years' time. My goal is to buy everything and throw it all on the overworld.

P.S. Robomoo is GMing Curse of the Crimson Throne on Foundry and hand-converting the PDFs, because there is no PF1 material available on Foundry. That's on top of the rules implementation and automation being much worse than Fantasy Grounds'. He has no idea what he's doing, and his players have no idea what they're missing out on. They will miss out on ALL the above material and SO much more because they're cheap and stupid. They have understood nothing of Ultimate Edition and Battlegrounds, and they're just crudely copying and debasing my game and theories. Just sayin'. At some point I might sit down and enumerate all the ways in which they are bungling EVERYTHING about roleplaying, including above all using low-quality players and GM, which is the worst mistake anyone can make.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 12 Jul 2023 13:24

The sale will be over in about a day, so if anyone needs me to buy the dice bundle for them send me a DM on Discord so I can still get the 30% discount. It will get expensive for me buying multiple bundles without this discount.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Battlegrounds