default header

Hardware

Logitech G Cloud

Moderator: JC Denton

Logitech G Cloud

Unread postby icycalm » 26 May 2023 00:58

Shadow just sent me a 10% off coupon for this. It's basically a Steam Deck for cloud gaming. Smart idea, as it's much cheaper than a Steam Deck, and way more powerful depending on which cloud provider you're using. If you're using Shadow Power like me, you can have a 3070 in your pocket at all times—utterly trouncing the Switch, Steam Deck, and even the upcoming ROG Ally [ > ] I am sure. Even more ridiculously, the top tier of Nvidia's GeForce Now offers the 4090 lol at a mere $20/month, so you can be carrying a freakin' 4090 in your pocket at all times—as long as you have decent internet connectivity of course. With this thing and a small keyboard and mouse in your backpack, you can have the power of a supercomputer gaming rig at any hotel, hostel, or friend's or girlfriend's home. Put half a dozen of them down and you have an entire LAN party's worth of hardware in your backpack.

Shadow is slower and more expensive than GFN, but it's a whole PC and you can run anything you want. For example, you can't run Star Citizen on GFN, but you can on Shadow. But no one's stopping you from hopping between the services on your Logitech G Cloud, or even subbing to both simultaneously. There is also Microsoft's Xbox service, and perhaps also other smaller ones I haven't looked into (Stadia is dead isn't it?)

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product ... 00198.html

Logitech wrote:Logitech G CLOUD Gaming Handheld puts advanced graphics and libraries of blockbuster games from the cloud in your hands—freeing you to play what you want, in more places.

CLOUD requires a cloud subscription service sold separately to work as intended, such as NVIDIA GeForce Now or Xbox Game Pass.

Normal price is $349.99 but it's on sale for $299.99 currently, plus with Shadow's 10% off it would come out to $270, which sounds like a bargain to me. Note that in Europe it's MUCH more expensive. Nearly $100 more, which is why I still haven't pulled the trigger on it.

Keep in mind that, unlike the Switch, Steam Deck or ROG Ally, this thing doesn't have a dedicated hard drive for you to use. My Shadow has 2 TB of space, so that's how much I would have on this thing. As aforesaid, it's pretty mindboggling. Screen is 1080p, which is higher than the Switch and Deck, and the same as the Ally's, but it's not like I'll be playing on that screen. Screen size btw is 7 inches, same as the Deck's and Switch OLED's, and higher than the original Switch's 6.2 inches. The Ally is also 7 inches, but its price was just announced at $699 (though a $599 model is also coming out later). Those extra dollars get you autonomy from internet connectivity, but according to early reviews, the handheld struggles to run games at 1080p, while the G Cloud paired with Shadow or GFN smokes everything at 1080p and could theoretically kill even at 4K if the machine could output 4K via a cable. I doubt it can, but I am not sure, I need to check and I very much would like to know, as pairing this handheld with a 4K projector, and perhaps later on a VR headset would be the ultimate in gaming on the road, besides a super-expensive and super-heavy laptop.

On another note, despite it being potentially the most powerful handheld, the G Cloud is certainly the blandest-looking, which doesn't bode well for its build construction and its handheld UI experience. But if you're using it with a keyboard, mouse and external display, as I would, none of that matters.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware