default header

Hardware

GP2X F-200

Moderator: JC Denton

GP2X F-200

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Aug 2007 21:17

According to Play-Asia, a new version of the GP2X is coming out in October. It will have a touch screen, a new D-pad, and several built-in games (most notably Cave Story).

It will also be white. I guess the only thing they forgot was the second screen.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1- ... -277b.html

The official GP2X site is here, though there's nothing on the new system yet.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby illegal » 26 Aug 2007 11:21

Assuming it will otherwise be the same (hardware-wise), I don't really know what to think of the touchscreen. The currently available software for the GP2X doesn't use it, so unless the dev-scene massively starts to adopt this version, I think it will remain a "secondary input control" at best... which would be for the better, I think.

The DS is usually the worst when playing a game that uses conventional control for the most part, but has mandatory touchscreen controls added in somewhere. It ends up breaking the "flow" of a game.
illegal

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Aug 2007 13:10

illegal wrote:Assuming it will otherwise be the same (hardware-wise), I don't really know what to think of the touchscreen. The currently available software for the GP2X doesn't use it, so unless the dev-scene massively starts to adopt this version, I think it will remain a "secondary input control" at best... which would be for the better, I think.

This is what it's looking like. The specifications are pretty much the same (that Play-Asia link includes a flyer with the full specs), so it was just a case of adding the touchscreen, basically.

Still, I at least admire their balls in making a major revision to their hardware (Nintendo *cough*).
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby illegal » 26 Aug 2007 13:51

there were various complaints about the little joystick on the first version, so if they got that right this time, it should be playing a lot better at least. Still, too much a Nintendo copy though, but Nintendo in turn copied Apple, so I guess it's ok ;)
illegal

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Aug 2007 12:14

Nintendo only copies Apple's sense of style; the dual screens and stylus were their own ideas. You have to give them that much.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Sn0wp1r4t3 » 05 Feb 2008 06:56

:shock: Ooo, do want.
Sn0wp1r4t3

Return to Hardware