default header

Hardware

Controlling your PS2 STGs

Moderator: JC Denton

Controlling your PS2 STGs

Unread postby bullethell » 21 Jan 2007 21:27

Hello,
this is my first post so hi to everyone.Im an old video gamer from Hellas playing games since 1987.Shmups is my favorite genre and im glad I finally decided to start collecting PS2 shmups.
I bought a HRAP about two years ago but I sold it, same happened to X-Arcade.Dont get me wrong I love arcade sticks but I prefer them for fighting games and action 2D hardcore games like Ghost n Goblins, Altered Beast and Metal slugs, so joypad is the only way to go for me lately as im most playing shmups.I missed the excellent Saturn PS2 pads and PC-USB saturn pads and i have troubles finding them now.I have spend nights browsing in many online stores without luck.Please let me know if you know something, enlighten me.I need these babies :
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-49-en-70-imb.html
and these :
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1i- ... 0-5w1.html

Talking about pads, what is your set-up for shmupping in the various formats.(TV/monitor and pads/stick)I really like to compare tastes about set-up because lets face it in the end the right set-up make the difference, with a hell of practice and skills too.

About me,
Dreamcast : CRT 17'' tate and Official SEGA joypad (except Under Defeat where i use the Official SEGA Green Goblin arcade stick)
Saturn : TV 21'' and Official SEGA pads and Third Parties pads like KIKI that are not that bad (sometimes i use the Virtua Stick but I suck with it in shmups)
PS2 : TV 21'' TATE and Official Dual Shock 2 (I really need the saturn PS2 pads!)
PC : 21'' TFT and Green Goblin Stick, Hori 2D Pads (SNES Replica)
Gamecube : TV 21'' and 2D Hori pads
bullethell

Unread postby icycalm » 21 Jan 2007 23:46

Hey, welcome to the forum. It's always nice to see Greeks signing up here -- you are the third one (including myself, that is).

The Saturn USB/PS2 pads are indeed awesome. I've got several myself -- I was just using the pink one earlier today. It's just too bad they've all but disappeared now. To be honest, if I could find one myself I'd grab it straight away -- only if I found a whole stack of them would I bother telling anyone else :). If I was in Japan I'd look into Yahoo Auctions Japan and I am sure I'd find one eventually, but I am in Athens right now and buying stuff off YAJ is a bitch from here.

So good luck!

As for my setup for shooters, I use whatever is at hand, really. If I am away from home I just tate my laptop (12" screen) and use a Saturn pad. In Japan I play in the arcades. At home I have two 29" CRT TVs -- one tate the other yoko -- with either a HRAP or a Fighting Stick 2. That's really as good as it gets, except if you are willing to buy a cab. Which I will do, once I settle down and get a good-sized apartment.

One more thing, though, dude.

You said it yourself that "in the end the right set-up makes the difference". Now I wouldn't say it makes THE difference, but I would certainly say it makes A BIG difference.

So why are you using pads with shooters? All the Japanese world record holders use sticks. Arcade cabinets come with sticks -- not pads.

There are some very good reasons for the above...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 22 Jan 2007 10:28

Hi there! Greek insomnia community is getting bigger by the day!! Welcome bullethell. To the subject now. As icy did, I highly recommend sticks for shmup games. I'm using Sega Saturn virtua sticks with an adaptor for MAME. I find it more accurate than any pad, especially under tight bullet hell situations. Saturn pads are excellent for arcade games, but they lose stiffness after a while making easier to press a diagonal when going for a straight direction and vice versa.

PS. Icy are you in Athens? Would you like guys to get together sometime for gaming or a beer or something? Icy I got to give you those damned DVDs sometime...
Jedah

Unread postby bullethell » 22 Jan 2007 16:14

Thanks for the welcome, nice indeed to find this excellent forum.
However, i was afraid that you would try to convince me that shmups should be played with arcade sticks and I must admit that pads ruin the unique arcade feel, pads might be more comfortable but their d-pad cannot save you in those frustrating bullet hell moments.Now I must buy again a PS2 arcade stick!And force myself to lock all the pads in the darkest shelf in my house.
I need to buy a arcade stick for my PS2 and PC shmups.So after a lengthy research here my two options :
1. Buy again a HRAP 1 (pros: is a top choice for a retail import stick for PS2, cons: battle with laggy adaptors in order to play Mame with it) or
2. buy the HORI Real Arcade Pro Stick 3 (pros: USB-ready, no lag for Mame, cons : the only way to use it on PS2 is via future adaptors that might have lag).
Another alternative choice to option 2 , might be the beauty Virtua Stick High Grade
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zl- ... -1rjw.html
What you recommend?

If you plan any meeting pm me.Im free in the weekends (when Im not playing shmups, of course heh).
bullethell

Unread postby Jedah » 23 Jan 2007 12:01

Well my opinion is that both joysticks will be perfect for fighting games, but shmups require something different. For example I have the US and JPN models of Saturn arcade stick. The Us one is better for fighting games and the japanese better for shmups. They have a difference in direction distances and the US model doesn't "click" on any direction making it smoother for hadoken and shoruykens. You must try before you buy, and since you are in Greece and need to import, there's nothing you can do to find out which one suits you better. That's one of the reasons I don't import peripherals, I need to play at least once with one of them.
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2007 14:27

Sega's VF5 stick might look great, but if you can only get one stick it should be the HRAP3. Hori will use real arcade parts which you'll also be able to easily swap out, whereas no one knows what Sega will use. And even if they go for Sanwa or Seimitsu parts, there's still no guarantee that you'll be able to snap them out as easily as the ones in the HRAP3.

It's the most expensive one, but it will last you a lifetime, really. And in my view it even looks better.

And then there's Hori's Fighting Stick 3, which is clearly the cheapest choice, but which will certainly have mass production parts which will be hard to swap out.

Check here for large images:

http://forum.insomnia.ac/viewtopic.php?t=136

And here for what I wrote on insert credit:

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001451.html

PS. I am up for getting some beers on the weekend and/or playing games -- just not at my place, because the situation here is quite complex. I know a pool hall where they have some arcade games though (Daytona USA, Shin Samurai Spirits and a few others), so we could perhaps meet there.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 23 Jan 2007 15:13

icycalm wrote:PS. I am up for getting some beers on the weekend and/or playing games -- just not at my place, because the situation is quite complex. I know a pool hall where they have some arcade games though (Daytona USA, Shin Samurai Spirits and a few others), so we could perhaps meet there.

Pool hall with arcade cabinets? In Athens? I'm sold!! Day and time please...
Jedah

Unread postby bullethell » 23 Jan 2007 15:30

Well I just bought (again) the HRAP v.1 ( so i can place the seimitsu stick and buttons, which i have heard they are better than sanwa for shmups).Also Im not that bad with sticks as I believed.I broke the 1 million Score barrier last night in Shikigami No Shiro 2 (DC JP), Extreme Mode playing with the great Sega Arcade Official Stick.So I will stick with arcade sticks from now on.

By the way Jedah you know me!I gave you the SEGA JP Saturn stick a year ago.I still have some JP Saturn Virtua Sticks and yes they rock.

Yeah count me in that weekend.Is there any shmup coin-op in that pool hall?I hope no because Ill be so absorbed and addicted to it.
bullethell

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2007 15:32

It's actually pretty close to where Jedah works, right on Mesogeiou Avenue, perhaps 5 minutes' walk from the square in Ag. Paraskevi.

This weekend I am free any time either day, except between 6-8:30 pm, when I'll be playing basketball.

If it suits you then let me know the time and I can meet you at the square. And bullethell, let us know if that sounds good to you...
Last edited by icycalm on 23 Jan 2007 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby icycalm » 23 Jan 2007 15:35

And nope, there are no shmups I am afraid...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 24 Jan 2007 12:14

bullethell wrote:By the way Jedah you know me!I gave you the SEGA JP Saturn stick a year ago.I still have some JP Saturn Virtua Sticks and yes they rock.

Yeah count me in that weekend.Is there any shmup coin-op in that pool hall?I hope no because Ill be so absorbed and addicted to it.

Hey man, how are you? Good to see you around, believe me this site is perfect for you. Shame the place Icy proposed has no shmups. :(
Jedah

Unread postby bullethell » 24 Jan 2007 21:48

Heh shmupping around as usual.Im glad you enjoy the JP Saturn arcade stick, in contrast with the US stick the JP one is a quality stick and a lot better for shmups certainly.However the only shmup im playing in the saturn is Radiant Silvergun and I prefer the pad as it requires all the 6 buttons, but im not playing it often.The reason is simple, im addicted to it so much, i forget all the other videogames.Its a scary thing.
Okay friday or saturday Im in for the meeting.
bullethell

Unread postby icycalm » 25 Jan 2007 21:25

I can make it on Saturday anytime other than between 6:00 and 8:30. So I guess we are wating for Jedah to set a time?
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 26 Jan 2007 11:41

Actually I was thinking about today. I can at the Ag. Paraskeyi square around 19:00 to 19:30. What do you think about today?
Jedah

Unread postby icycalm » 26 Jan 2007 12:59

Can't make it. I am going to the movies at around 8-8:30...

If you can't do Saturday then how about Sunday, if it's alright with bullethell? Or perhaps next week...
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Jedah » 26 Jan 2007 13:43

I'll let you know. Icy get a cell phone :P
Jedah

Unread postby bullethell » 27 Jan 2007 14:38

Unfortunately Im away from Athens this week, happened something.We can meet next weekend (next friday/saturday 9.00+ pm).Sorry to inform you last minute but I travelled late last night.

Shmupping news update : My HRAP shipped yesterday morning, Its version HRAP V.2 :(
I thought it was v.1, anyways bye bye seimitsu parts *cry face*. But its better than v.1 for me because the mirror board is gone.I didnt like it.
I spent the morning yesterday in El.Venizelos airport where I paid the import taxes.Frustrating experience that it have happened to me one more time in the past.I have imported several times in the past and this is the second time i should go to the cargo myself to pay taxes and stuff.
Interestingly enough my last bought Arcade Stick ( a HRAP v.1) from Hong Kong was shipped to my door without the need to pay anything extra 2,5 years ago.So Im very curious why sometimes the imported goods are beeing spotted and sometimes not.Im planning to import a JP PS2 Ceramic White one but Im discouraged.Its a time-consuming experience and costs sometimes more than you have expected.And having another person pay the taxes for you and stuff is out of option because they ask for a great amount of cash.
bullethell

Unread postby icycalm » 29 Jan 2007 23:09

I've had six-seven shipments from Hong Kong/Japan in the last month and a half, and I wasn't asked to pay taxes on any of them. I've got another one coming in next week, so I hope my luck continues. There are a couple of rules to follow, but it's mostly a matter of luck.

Good job on that HRAP anyways. I think the one with the mirror finish looks better, but it is difficult to keep it clean, so in the long ran Ver. 2 is a better buy.

As for meeting up, this Saturday or Sunday after 9 pm should fine with me.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby chamchamtrigger » 22 Jul 2007 10:26

bullethell wrote:Talking about pads, what is your set-up for shmupping in the various formats.(TV/monitor and pads/stick)I really like to compare tastes about set-up because lets face it in the end the right set-up make the difference, with a hell of practice and skills too.

I just play everything on default so I don't really have any special set ups. Or I should say I play espgaluda on default, since that's the only shmup I have on the PS2 atm. It sucks because none of the game stores around here have many shooters. Mostly dating sims and rpgs, and I already own all of the fighters worth buying at these places >.<

Oh and not to go off topic, but this is my first post on these forums too, so hello folks.
meow meow meow iku zo
chamchamtrigger

Return to Hardware