default header

Hardware

Arcade cabinets in the UK

Moderator: JC Denton

Arcade cabinets in the UK

Unread postby Caveman » 10 Feb 2008 15:55

Having recently found a new love for everything 'shmup' & not getting the true arcade experience from my rather cumbersome supergun & an upturned tv! I now look to invest in a cabinet to place my new 'ibara' board.Unfortunately,even when i find a reasonably priced machine,the transport to the u.k is astronomical!Anyone who knows something i dont?

Please share,
Regards,
Caveman
Caveman

Unread postby zinger » 10 Feb 2008 16:14

Shouldn't there be a lot of local deals in the UK? Sweden is full of Astro Cities, Egret II's and whatnot.
zinger

Re Arcade cabinets

Unread postby Caveman » 10 Feb 2008 16:27

Hey, Zinger.
I was obviously hoping for an english supplier,as once you begin adding haulage/freight costs fom overseas.You can just about double the price of the actual machine:(
I would give my right arm for either of the cabs you mentioned & get my son to press the 'shoot' button for me:)
Caveman

Unread postby zinger » 10 Feb 2008 16:46

What I meant was that there should be just as many cabinet collectors and suppliers in the UK, but perhaps I am mistaken. What people sometimes do over here is to gather a bunch of people and then order a container full of dirtcheap cabinets from Japan. My cabinets were sold by local suppliers, but the prices I've seen from the Japan deals I mentioned were fantastic. I hope it works out for you, good luck!
zinger

Unread postby Molloy » 10 Feb 2008 16:48

There's a brilliant UK forum for this kind of thing at www.killercabs.com

They organise bulk imports every now and again. They're not doing one at the moment but most of the users have several cabs and are restoring and trading various ones all the time so you should be able to find a good one there.
Molloy

Unread postby Caveman » 10 Feb 2008 17:24

Thanks Guys!
I appreciate the help & wont rest until i have a cab of my own! Until then i'll try not to feel too sorry for myself & my uninspiring setup:)
Caveman

Thankyou

Unread postby Caveman » 11 Feb 2008 01:03

Special thanks to 'Molloy'

Thanks to your help & usefull link,i just ordered an 'Egret II' cabinet!!
Seriously man,im on cloud 9. Just have to wait til the end of the month for confirmation,but that's no problem.

Many thanks for making a new member very happy :)

Regards,Caveman
Caveman

Unread postby Molloy » 11 Feb 2008 11:31

Lucky bastard. I really want a cabinet as well. Can't wait till I'm finished college in a year and a half and earning proper money.

The moderators over there have some tasty stuff. Check out the Aero Table.

I'd really like a Pony Mk. II. They're not very popular so hopefully I should be able to find one at a decent price. Egret 1's are pure sex as well. Ahh, If I only had money.

Molloy

Unread postby zinger » 11 Feb 2008 12:36

Congrats Caveman! Egret II is all you need, it's my favourite cabinet due to the ease of use.
zinger

Unread postby Jedah » 11 Feb 2008 18:00

You lucky people. Last weekend I was at Athens Mall where I experienced the joys of a proper arcade cabinet. Nothing can touch it...
Jedah

Unread postby Fredrick2003 » 03 Mar 2008 04:22

Don't forget that fully assembled cabinets are heavy, I have made that mistake.
Fredrick2003

Unread postby Caveman » 05 Oct 2008 17:26

Well at last, my arcade prayers were answered. It's took a little under a year from me yearning for a candy of my own, to now having two of them! (Like busses eh?)
Thanks to the now deceased killercabs & e few good guys i met there, i was able to achieve this.

While not as personally gratifying as building your own cab....(My god, that's awesome), it's deffinately a step-up from my supergun days.
Thanks again guys for the initial advice.

Caveman
Caveman

Unread postby icycalm » 06 Oct 2008 17:54

Very nice setup: congratulations. And great taste in games too, I see ;)
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Caveman » 06 Oct 2008 22:58

icycalm wrote:great taste in games too, I see ;)

Quite the compliment, thanks icy. I thought a fellow cave-fan may appreciate my little project :)
Caveman

Return to Hardware