default header

Hardware

The Imperishable Night dedicated cab!

Moderator: JC Denton

The Imperishable Night dedicated cab!

Unread postby Molloy » 13 Aug 2008 14:01

http://insomnia.ac/hardware/imperishable_night_cab/

That was an enjoyable read. There's nothing like playing something on a proper cabinet.

I have one question though, why not rotate the monitor and mount it vertically? From what I've read this isn't too difficult on a Big Century cabinet. Do many of the PC developed shmups not have proper tate modes?

Little late now, but if you're sourcing a cabinet in the UK in future you might find a more competitive price on Killer Cabs. They do bulk imports from time to time, and there's a pretty active sales forum. You could probably get an Egret II with a 3 button panel for less than the Big Century cost.
Molloy

Unread postby icycalm » 13 Aug 2008 22:31

Molloy wrote:I have one question though, why not rotate the monitor and mount it vertically?

Zun's games do not offer tate modes... I cropped the screenshots in the IN review from the normal 4:3 aspect ratio because the page looked better that way. This is how the game normally looks:

I never understood the reasoning behind not including a tate mode in these games. Because there HAS to be some good reason -- the man is obviously not dumb.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Unread postby Molloy » 14 Aug 2008 20:16

That is a little unusual. Just thought I'd mention that the Killer Cabs site will be down for a week or so. It's worth book marking though if you're into coin-ops.

I saw a sort of similar dedicated cabinet project on the Capcom blog today. It's a SF2 HD Remix cabinet.
Molloy

Unread postby zinger » 15 Aug 2008 00:10

I think bloodflowers is quite knowledgeable when it comes to arcade market prices. That cab was brand new, and whatever triple res screen means, it sounds pretty expensive.
zinger

Unread postby Recap » 15 Aug 2008 02:32

zinger wrote:I think bloodflowers is quite knowledgeable when it comes to arcade market prices. That cab was brand new, and whatever triple res screen means, it sounds pretty expensive.

Those are the standard "low-res" monitors you can find these days for the arcades (though "triple res" makes actually no sense; it's "triple frequency"). 15-kHz-only are getting obsolete. And I'd never rely on a guy who is perfectly happy with low-res games upscaled for hi-res displays and huge HD TVs as substitutes of vertically-orientad low-res TVs, as he states once and again. The usage itself of an Arcade VGA card for this stuff is quite nonsensical, indeed.
Recap
Insomnia Staff

Unread postby heavymetalme » 12 Sep 2008 18:29

I especially appreciate the final words...

It takes a special kind of madness to spend $2600 to play a $15 game. Do not do this.
heavymetalme

Return to Hardware