default header

Hardware

PCs vs. Consoles

Moderator: JC Denton

PCs vs. Consoles

Unread postby icycalm » 27 Jan 2010 21:04

http://www.totalpcgaming.com/latest-pc- ... of-gaming/

Sam Bandah wrote:According to veteran developer and head of Gas Powered Games Chris Taylor, the future of gaming lies with PC rather than in consoles, which will eventually become a closed and obsolete avenue for development. “Anytime you have a propriety system it’s like a benevolent dictatorship – there are some short term benefits to it, but they fall down in the long run,” Taylor told Total PC Gaming magazine in a recent interview. “That’s been the way it’s been over and over again in the history of technology and even the history of the world.”

While he’s happy creating multi-platform titles and his current project Supreme Commander 2 will be released on Xbox 360 as well as PC, Taylor was echoing a sentiment recently expressed by Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada. Wada intimated that his company is prepared for the death of physical, disc-based console games, which he predicts will happen within ten years, warning the industry to prepare for change.

Going one step further Taylor went on to explain just why PC gaming is insulated from that sort of fate, claiming it’s primarily because of it’s early focus on digital distribution and open nature – which means it isn’t dominated by any of the major players. “So I think the PC is an open platform, and digital distribution means the ability for people to create strong (independent) publishing and distribution platforms- none of which is possible on consoles,” he said. Developers, he believes, will eventually gravitate towards PC as a result. “I could really go down the rabbit hole with this, but I see the PC as the only logical place to carry forward for everyone who wants to compete- it’s the open market place.”

Taylor and Gas Powered Games are currently finalising Supreme Commander 2 which will be released on PC on March 5th in the UK.

You can read our entire interview with Chris Taylor in Issue 30 of Total PC Gaming on sale the 18th of February.
icycalm
Hyperborean

Return to Hardware